Prince Philip dead | Page 7 | Vital Football

Prince Philip dead

As far as I can see, nobody has said that Nobby should not feel the way he does, or that he should not provide a fitting tribute.

Some will agree with him but there is no point in just posting "I agree" without expressing the reason for your opinion. That is what is interesting and makes this board worthwhile. Some of the anecdotes mentioned on here have been truly educational.

Similarly, like the rest of us, Prince Phil will have had his faults and given other people reasons not to like him. Whether this is the time (or in good taste) to express that may be debatable but, if not based on slander or libel, it is surely valid?

What I do believe is that we need to respect everyone's opinion and the right to hold and express it.

Needless to say, I disagreed with WK about Brexit but respected his right to his opinion. I disagree with AK about the Harry and Meghan issue but respect his right to "defend" them, even though that seems a bit perverse when all they have done is "attack" an institution that can not defend itself.

I would actually be in favour of doing away with the "reply" function on here (even though I use it), as that seems to me to encourage a "you don't know what you are talking about" attitude.

If you want to express a contrary opinion, then do so from scratch, and do not refer to anyone else's previous post in an attempt to belittle them.

I largely agree with you , except your wish to remove the 'reply' function.
It's used to quote what a poster has said , so it is only the same as 'copy and paste'
A shortcut if you like ,and also shows others who is quoting who.

I tend to agree with GBN and Jerry, it’s not the differing views, more the abuse to each other that’s the problem.

Myself and Nobby had vastly different views over the funeral thing, but neither of us were abusive to each other. The discussion ended amicably.

A message board will always have different people with alternative viewpoints, it is what makes it interesting. As someone said earlier, a post with countless “I agree” replies would be very boring indeed. In fact, the board wouldn’t be worth visiting/posting on if that is the case.

This is one of the reasons I seldom read or post on the RIP threads. Unless I have something different to add, I see no point in just posting the same as everyone else.

The reason I brought up the whole funeral thing was not out of disrespect for DoE, the Queen, royals or anyone else. More that fact that the WHOLE elite pick and choose to adhere to the law when they want and shun it as they see fit. Be it diplomat wives that kill teenagers on their bikes, government advisers that drive hundreds of miles during a national lockdown, or politicians of ALL parties that drive to second homes, post photos of hosting a dinner party with multiple guests or take 500 mile train journeys whilst infected.

It will be a shame if anybody decides to leave the board over different views.i hope no one does.

What an absolute disgrace some people are on here.
I steer clear of this bollocks normally but as said an absolute disgrace.
Most wouldn’t have the gonads to say half of these comments to another individuals face
Keyboard warriors that show absolute disrespect for other users beliefs and or patronage

FUCKING disgrace and shame on you

What an absolute disgrace some people are on here.
I steer clear of this bollocks normally but as said an absolute disgrace.
Most wouldn’t have the gonads to say half of these comments to another individuals face
Keyboard warriors that show absolute disrespect for other users beliefs and or patronage

FUCKING disgrace and shame on you

Hear hear

Funeral 3pm kick off next Saturday...great timing as I will be on my 4 mile walk home from work so will miss it
Funeral 3pm kick off next Saturday...great timing as I will be on my 4 mile walk home from work so will miss it

I shall dip out too ..... hoping to make use of the new Covid rules by having a beer or four outside somewhere in Rochester Saturday.

Hopefully the start of the new rules working well leading to Gills FC in August and a pint or four before the games.

:wahey::wahey:

I shall dip out too ..... hoping to make use of the new Covid rules by having a beer or four outside somewhere in Rochester Saturday.

Hopefully the start of the new rules working well leading to Gills FC in August and a pint or four before the games.

:wahey::wahey:
Apparently 3pm kick-offs will be moved to avoid clashing with the funeral.
Whether earlier, later or Sunday seems unclear atm.

This reminds me of kids street football when I was a lad. Two teams from different streets kicking lumps out of each other while others joined in but you could never keep track of who was on whose side so it was bedlam until the owner of the ball got so upset he went home. Everyone else stood around blaming each other and then played British Bulldog.

Whose on what side again?

In a good move imo, BP say don't leave flowers but give money to charity

What do thousands of people do as a mark of their "respect"? Yes, you've guessed it; leave loads of flowers in direct contravention of BP's wishes. Charities miss out on thousands of pounds of donations to help the living in place of dead flowers and the cost of clearing them up. Add insult to injury as various royals obliged to look at the flowers.

Ah, the great British public (well some of them). The people we rely on to show common sense as we come out of lockdown.

Bromley council cancelled meetings as a mark of "respect" instead of getting on with dealing with the Covid crisis and of course recommended a place to leave flowers in direct contravention of BP's wishes. All out of "respect" of course.

In a good move imo, BP say don't leave flowers but give money to charity

What do thousands of people do as a mark of their "respect"? Yes, you've guessed it; leave loads of flowers in direct contravention of BP's wishes.

Ha!
Yes, but it's not about him!

The more I read about the Duke of Edinburgh, the more I admire him. I suspect, however, this is partly the biography effect. The more we learn about anyone's life, the more empathy and sympathy grow and judgement shrinks. No one escapes grief, we all have rocks of various shapes and sizes to lug around with us.

Now where's that insider biography of Joe Stalin, I've been meaning to read?

"Uncle Joe, as he was to me, had his share of grief and rocks aplenty which he carried uncomplainingly -until, that is, he organized the massive system of forced labour for which he is justly famous, to carry them all for him...."