Preston v Swans | Vital Football

Preston v Swans

Last Sunday's 1-3 defeat in the FA Cup, at home to League 1 Doncaster, leaves Preston five games without a win.
In contrast the Swans are seeking their third straight away win, having won 1-4 at Reading in the league, and 0-3 at Aston Villa in the cup.

McBurnie, Bony, Montero, Carter-Vickers, John, Asoro, are back in contention after the sickness bug ruled them out of last week’s match at Villa.

Back on the long and winding road for me on Saturday as I make the trek to Preston, having missed the relatively short Villa trip last week.
A 502 mile round trip taking 8hrs 40mins from Swansea, not including refreshment stops and traffic jams, but all in a good cause.

Not for the first time this season we flatttered to deceive and were back to our usual inconsistent play.
McBurnie was taken sick again so we started with the same side fielded at Villa in the cup. Bony and Montero were back as subs, but came in far too late to change the game at 75’ and 84’ respectively. McKay came on at 89’ but what he brings to our side I can’t work out, did he even touch the ball, not sure.
Lowly Preston were poor, but we made hard work of trying to break them down.
It was not until the 55th minute that we eventually scored through Baker-Richardson.
The officials were once again influencing a Swans match with poor decisions. Preston had free kick after free kick, their players were falling down like ninepins at the slightest touch anywhere near our goal, and the dull ref kept on blowing up, luckily we defended well.
Their none penalty was awarded by the linesman in the 60th minute, he was the only one that saw the ball hit Roberts and flagged for hand ball, even the Preston players didn’t appeal.
The sending off in the 81st minute couldn’t motivate us to beat ten men, even with 5mins injury time.
Indeed it motivated Preston more and they almost got the winner.

Last edited:
Preston v Swans match statistics:
Possession: 40% - 60%
Shots: 8 - 12
On Target: 5 - 3
Corners: 3 - 4
Fouls 16 - 16

Alex Neil - “Overall I think a point was a fair result. It was a bit of a stuffy game.”

Graham Potter - “We need to survive key moments and be a bit more clinical. We gave the ball away too easily and did not do enough to score more than one.
We are some way off being a top-six side still and we need to keep improving."

On a breezy, chilly, overcast day, 570 away fans braved the journey to Preston.
We were a bit late getting there so sampled the refreshments at the concourse bar - John Smiths can 440ml £4.60, Foster Lager 330ml plastic bottle £3.80, combo deal Pie various or Hot Dog and a Fosters plastic £6.20.
Inside we could sit anywhere in the Bill Shankly Kop away end behind the goal as we had the whole stand to ourselves in the 11,600 total attendance,
The noise was understandably non existent from the Preston fans after their 1-3 drubbing by League One Doncaster in the Cup at Deepdale the previous week and it was like a library. Only the Swans fans chanting kept the atmosphere alive. Their fans did wake up though when the penalty was scored which spurred their players on, and they had their best spell of the match, and we were almost made to pay for not putting the game to bed, as Mulder made two fine saves in succession.
So a long day and a long journey home, made longer by us failing once again to beat a lowly team in poor form. Meanwhile the players flew up to the match in luxury to Blackpool Airport, 17 miles from Preston, and they were back in Cardiff by 7:40 pm.

Last edited:
The penalty incident captured above. You can clearly see both Roberts’s arms are behind him and nowhere near the ball as he blocks it with his chest.
Linesman reacts to the Preston fans appeals and gives the penalty.

On Saturday at Deepdale Keith Stroud (Bournemouth), was assisted by John Flynn (Wiltshire) and Matt Foley (London), with Martin Coy (Durham) acting as the fourth official.
Not sure which linesman gave the penalty but Matt Foley has a history of controversy, and once felt the wrath of Alex Ferguson when he convinced ref Mike Jones that Rio Ferdinand had brought down Hatem Ben Arfa in the box, when most observers thought the Man U defender had made a clean challenge. Fergie wanted him axed, and the following week Jones was rested and Flynn ran the line in the Championship.
David Moyes was livid after Everton’s Royston Drenthe’s perfectly good goal disallowed by blundering linesman John Flynn (Everton 0 - Arsenal 1)
“That’s five decisions that were wrong, and that includes the one against Drenthe, who scored a perfectly good goal. We have had a raw deal of it tonight. When you have five situations where you are onside and all five are flagged offside, it is really, really poor. One maybe, but not all five. It was the assistant, not the referee.
The 2015 FA Cup final referee Jon Moss was threatened with legal action by an assistant match official alleging he was deliberately injured by Moss in a referees kickabout. Linesman John Flynn had been out injured for 15 months since the collision with Moss during a training session at St George’s Park.

Last edited:
Well I’m harping on about penalties and poor match officials, but you can see how important it is when you realise that we’ve already dropped 7 points through them. Those 7 points would today have put us in the last play off position in the table on 44 points, 1 point ahead of Derby.
Preston 1 v Swans 1 (Roberts hand ball) - minus 2 points
Swans 2 v Wigan 2 (Routledge clipped Naismith) - minus 2 points
Roth 2 v Swans 1 (Fer handball, Nordfelt foul) - minus 3 points
Frustrating ain’t it.

Well I’m harping on about penalties and poor match officials, but you can see how important it is when you realise that we’ve already dropped 7 points through them. Those 7 points would today have put us in the last play off position in the table on 44 points, 1 point ahead of Derby.
Preston 1 v Swans 1 (Roberts hand ball) - minus 2 points
Swans 2 v Wigan 2 (Routledge clipped Naismith) - minus 2 points
Roth 2 v Swans 1 (Fer handball, Nordfelt foul) - minus 3 points
Frustrating ain’t it.

It is although I felt the Routledge penalty vs Wigan was a fair one. The others I agree with and you're also forgetting the offside goal at Stoke - minus another point.