Press conference | Page 2 | Vital Football

Press conference

It would be just our oompahing luck to finally get some decent management to lose them after 20 games though

At the moment this is a none story, last time I looked DC is manager of Lincoln City, if the "massive" Mariners are interested then they will have to make an approach, somehow think we are a lot more hard headed on issues like these and fully expect if it happened to be rebuffed.
If it did happen so early in his tenure here, the players he signed and progress made in sort a short time, it would send a signal that the club does not want promotion.
This would have an effect on support as people would become thoroughly disillusioned. This would wipe out any short term gain of any compensation package.
The club is on the up, the only ones talking of DC and his brother going to GRIMSby are a few town fans on message boards and people here picking up on that.
What did you expect him to say in answer to the question,
"Oh wow the mighty mariners want me, would walk barefoot up the A46 to sign"? Gave an answer that his focus is on tomorrow night's game, which is where I for one would hope it is. Danny, comes across to me as a decent, honourable man, nothing that has happened over the last 24 hours changes that opinion, he has set himself a task here and wants to achieve it here, not at another club on the Humber Bank.

I would like him to say something along the lines of " I will absolutely not be the next Grimsby Town manager ". Anything other than that surely means he's not completely against the idea?

Fenty wouldn't let Hurst increase his coaching staff was one of the main reasons he left and bearing in mind how many back up staff the Cowleys have here sounds like a no-goer.

Grimsby will be looking at the likes of Robinson recently sacked at MK or even the brown envelope waving Evans. Who are both currently still unemployed I believe.

Get used to it. While we continue to thrive the C's will be linked with every vacancy in Li and L2 and maybe higher.

Indeed if Fenty is watching the pennies an out of work manager is much easy to get, no compo etc.

APHLCFC - 24/10/2016 16:06

I would like him to say something along the lines of " I will absolutely not be the next Grimsby Town manager ". Anything other than that surely means he's not completely against the idea?

+1

Much as I like the Cowleys, they seem very ambitious and if it comes down to a choice between loyalty and a chance in a higher division, they won't think twice. And that's fair enough.

I think it may be of interest that Jamie McCombe has been appointed coach. Itmay just be conincedence of course.

barryimp - 24/10/2016 17:08

I think it may be of interest that Jamie McCombe has been appointed coach. Itmay just be conincedence of course.

I'm pleased for Jamie but I think there's very little in that. Danny said as much in his press conference on Friday - just giving him a description appropriate to the role he's already undertaking.

Something else to come out of the press conference was the part about Taylor Miles. If Cowley's assertion that an injured player needs one day's training per week injured is accurate, Miles needs 11 days back in training before being available. He has had 3 so far - if there are 8 more before the Altrincham game, he could be back in time for that as well as Marriott. That will give us a full squad again, barring injuries before then.

Seems a LCFC trait that we have a modicum of success and automatically people assume that our best players/managers/delete as appropriate are off to better things. Maybe they will, but I assume that all teams who have been up an around the top of the league the last 5 seasons must have been under the same threat. Only time it's really happened is Braintree....oh wait a minute.
Anyway, I think they're still unproven at this level never mind Football League

The Cowleys would have to be crazy to leave LCFC for GTFC at this stage of their careers; and they strike me as being anything but crazy.
They are ambitious, but who would want a managerial team that wasn't? Get Lincoln City promoted this season and they'll have proved that they are both extremely able and that they see a job through. It'll be up to them whether they want to go for back to back promotions with The Imps or move on to a club a league above and closer to their homes.
Many managers have made the wrong move at the wrong time and thereby scuppered a promising future, I don't expect Danny and Nick to do so (at least not yet). I think the Cowleys are in a class way above Paul Hurst. I expect Hurst to be sacked before the end of next season. I don't quite understand why many Mariners fans would be particularly bothered by Hurst's departure. He got lucky last season after finishing a poor fourth, only just beating a part-time outfit (albeit with a very good managerial team) in the play-off semis. There are plenty of managers out there who are superior to Hurst and I hope they appoint one, but I trust it wouldn't interest Messrs. Cowley.