Premier league profit without fans. | Vital Football

Premier league profit without fans.

What's more disgusting is that they could play in front of no fans and still make a profit, yet most still charge an absolute bomb to watch them. Due to the huge tv deals they could easily charge 20 quid to all fans, not just away fans. Twentys plenty.

This is the story that I feel is maybe being lost in the way this stat is being reported.

Why should they be penalized for running a successful business?

If fans are willing and daft enough to pay silly amounts to watch football live or on TV, why should the clubs suffer - its the fans fueling this.

Last edited:
Greedy gits. Premiership and all those connected profiteers are riding a gravy train being fuelled by armchair sports fans. That filthy rich clubs are rubbing salt in by charging extortionate amounts for match tickets is disgusting. I will never pay to attend a Premiership game, nor do I watch them on TV. Long live the lower leagues ✌️

If fans are willing and daft enough to pay silly amounts to watch football live or on TV, why should the clubs suffer - its the fans fueling this.

You're right. In any other industry people would simply not buy the product. But its football. People feel obliged to support their team.
Yes they could organise a protest but the only meaningful protest would be to not go. Or to not buy season tickets that they have waited years and years on the waiting list for. A football club is a monopoly because you cant simply change your club and buy another product. You cant simply not go, as you're urged to support your club at all times, and actually its those fans who do go who are the best examples of loyal fans, not armchair fans.

Given its a monopoly it should be controlled as monopolies are in this country. Ticket prices should be set by the league and enforced. Ive no issues with clubs charging more for hospitality or tickets on the halfway line being more expensive. But a large bulk of tickets should be available for affordable prices. Put a minimum number/percentage of £20 tickets that need to be available for each game. That would go some way to sorting things.

You wouldn’t be saying this if the club you’ve supported for decades were now charging thousands for a season ticket and £50 a match. It would be heartbreaking.

The revenue from non-executive tickets are a drop in the ocean compared to TV deals. But then again, it allows a new breed of football fan in, complete with half-and-half scarf and willingness to accept everything.

Put a minimum number/percentage of £20 tickets that need to be available for each game. That would go some way to sorting things.

Sorting what? There is a product being provided, and there is a charge for that product which people can accept or decline. Demand exceeds supply at the moment, so why should tickets be cheaper? Do you really think it should cost less to watch Arsenal at the Emirates than Gillingham at Priestfield?? What effect would £20 premiership tickets have on lower league football?

There is a cost for everything, how much does it cost to watch Beyoncé at the O2, Silverstone Grand Prix, a ballet at Sadlers Wells, Royal Ascot, London NFL etc? As much or more as it does to watch a premiership match, I bet.

In the article there is a bit that lists the top ten clubs outside the Premier League where matchday revenue (%) contributes most to turnover.

We're not in that top ten but for the club in tenth place (Forest Green Rovers) the total is 32.5%.

I wonder what ours is?

In the article there is a bit that lists the top ten clubs outside the Premier League where matchday revenue (%) contributes most to turnover.

We're not in that top ten but for the club in tenth place (Forest Green Rovers) the total is 32.5%.

I wonder what ours is?
It might be higher than 32.5% as the article said that 61 teams in the top 4 tiers provided figures. The average appears to be 25% though.

Where is the other 75% coming from then??

per our latest accs, match tickets generate £1,646,355 of our £6,306,616 turnover. that equates to 26%. that doesn't includes boards and boxes income (£187,622).

the rest of our turnover comes from the shop, tv and radio, player sales, catering/banqueting, youth academy, sponsorship/advertising and programmes

The other week when all the talk was about our finances I seem to remember someone posting figure relating to our earnings?
Can't remember, and can't be bothered to scroll through reams of threads/posts, but believe we had around £6.5m turnover of which £2.5m came from ticket sales.
might just be my dodgy memory though.

There is a cost for everything, how much does it cost to watch Beyoncé at the O2, Silverstone Grand Prix, a ballet at Sadlers Wells, Royal Ascot, London NFL etc? As much or more as it does to watch a premiership match, I bet.

The thing is, most of those events can be considered a one-off (or maybe once a year) kind of expense. A football fan doesn't want to watch their team at home once a season, they want to see as many games as possible.

The solution is to bring back safe standing areas with much cheaper tickets. This would make it accessible for everyday fans plus increase the atmosphere no end. Win Win

The solution is to bring back safe standing areas with much cheaper tickets. This would make it accessible for everyday fans plus increase the atmosphere no end. Win Win

You do realise that most of the big Premiership teams are at full capacity anyway, with waiting lists? How would introducing much cheaper tickets work?

Current TV deals are ridiculous and it’s the fans who ultimately pay through increased Sky and BT subscriptions.