Premier League Preview | Vital Football

Premier League Preview

BladesMad

Alert Team
Staff member
With the season soon upon us, I was wondering what my fellow Blades thought about our chances of survival, and how will the other clubs fair this season. Who will win the league, who will claim a CL spot. Can Chelsea finish high despite a transfer embargo, and ultimately with 3 teams will end up being relegated?

I think our chances are much better than many people think. We can defend, we can attack, and we are stronger in almost all areas that last season. With McBurnie in I think we've had a really good transfer window. If I have to make a guess 12th is where i think we'll be, although I'd settle for 17th right now.

To be honest, apart from the bit when we play them, I couldn't give a monkeys for the top 6.

Assuming one of them isn't us, my bottom 3 are Southampton, Brighton and Norwich.

With the season soon upon us, I was wondering what my fellow Blades thought about our chances of survival

Higher than people who haven't seen us play are predicting.

and how will the other clubs fair this season.

They will all fit somewhere between 1st and 20th.

Who will win the league, who will claim a CL spot.

I can't see past Man City or Liverpool for the title as the other top sides haven't improved enough to close the gap. I'd expect the same top four as last year. Probably the same top six as well.

Can Chelsea finish high despite a transfer embargo

I don't really care either way, but they still have a very good squad even without Hazard. I'd expect a few of their younger players to get the opportunity to shine and enough of them will to keep them in the top four.

ultimately with 3 teams will end up being relegated?

It's hard to say when there is more than a week until the transfer window shuts, but as of right now I will say Norwich, Brighton and Newcastle. If Newcastle strengthen enough, either now or in January (after sacking Bruce,) then they could survive, which might lead Burnley into trouble.

I think our chances are much better than many people think. We can defend, we can attack, and we are stronger in almost all areas that last season. With McBurnie in I think we've had a really good transfer window. If I have to make a guess 12th is where i think we'll be, although I'd settle for 17th right now.

To be honest, apart from the bit when we play them, I couldn't give a monkeys for the top 6.

Assuming one of them isn't us, my bottom 3 are Southampton, Brighton and Norwich.
i like your optimism fkb and i agree i think we might suprise a few doubters about or chances but cant see us being 12th 17th will do nicely for me

i like your optimism fkb and i agree i think we might suprise a few doubters about or chances but cant see us being 12th 17th will do nicely for me

We are quite capable of finishing above Villa, Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton, and maybe even Watford and West Ham. I'm not saying that we will finish above all of those of course, but 12th is not that outrageous a place to aim for.

defence way to slow for prem midfield as no muscle at all forwards not fast enough and keeper to many mistakes. we,ll huff and puff but ultimately fall short.

I'm expecting a poor start as we adapt to the new demands of the PL however CW is a fast learner and we'll improve quickly......and I think we'll have enough to stay up which is all we need to do in Season 1.

Last edited:
Whats the point of doing anything, if you expect to fail..? Every team below the top six are playing to avoid relegation.
im not being negative here fkb and i think we could survive but were going in to probably the best league in the world just saying that i think if chris does keep us up it will be his greatest achievment in football still think your being overoptimistic with a 12th place finish

defence way to slow for prem midfield as no muscle at all forwards not fast enough and keeper to many mistakes. we,ll huff and puff but ultimately fall short.

Is that a prediction for this reality, or the one where we spent £10m on Charlie Austin and re-signed Gary Madine?

There's been a wave of euphoria and optimism sweeping through the club for 3 years now.
CW p!ssed div 3
CW learned a lesson in the 1st year in the Champ and, despite running out of steam, we exceeded expectations
CW implemented the lessons learnt and , oh boy, did we exceed expectations with auto promotion.

We have all got used to this, indeed we are now accustomed to this and see it as the norm. Social media is full of Blades, possibly younger ones, less expeienced, less inured to the 'Blades way' of screwing up who seem to think it will be a cakewalk and see CW's signings as if we have Messi, Ronaldo et al on board now.

The reality is different. CW has a knack of getting the best out of journeymen ( and now we're on a journey...) and getting them on the cheapbut the leap we are making this time is a chasm compared to the relative hop skip and jump of the last one.

Will it work so well again is the question. Can he work the magic again?

Time will tell but, let's all be realistic here, 17th will be fantastic- nything else is a big bonus.

If we play 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 most games I think we'll survive. Go with 3-5-1-1 too much and we'll sink.

We have to be bold in away games like Bournemouth. We are notoriously slow starters under CW yet we have probably the best chance with the starting fixtures of getting some points on the board.

As others have said 17th will be a good season.

The problem with saying 17th will be a good season is that it would be a season of struggle, with relegation a very real possibility until the very end. It would seem a good achievement looking back, but not many people would enjoy the path to get there. I'm hopeful that we can be a consistent mid-table side, even if that is lower mid-table, who never looks in danger and occasionally gets a really good win against some of the more decent sides in the division. As I said above, there are a whole bunch of teams that are much of muchness and can be beaten, home or away, and I'd like to think our unique way of playing will confound enough teams for us to finish around 13th or 14th.

I really think we will upset a few teams, they will see us has cannon fodder
But they haven't been to Lane! (current set of premiership players), when it's rocking
I love the way we play!
I can't wait!!
UTB

The problem with saying 17th will be a good season is that it would be a season of struggle, with relegation a very real possibility until the very end. It would seem a good achievement looking back, but not many people would enjoy the path to get there. I'm hopeful that we can be a consistent mid-table side, even if that is lower mid-table, who never looks in danger and occasionally gets a really good win against some of the more decent sides in the division. As I said above, there are a whole bunch of teams that are much of muchness and can be beaten, home or away, and I'd like to think our unique way of playing will confound enough teams for us to finish around 13th or 14th.
If we're 10 points clear in Feb, as we were last time, I think we can be almost certain we'll stay up this time.
What you're seeing is what I referred to above- the Blades Way- and I think some of us are more scared of tempting fate by showing a bit of ambition and bravado about what we might do.

Pride-fall ec etc.