Pre-season | Page 12 | Vital Football

Pre-season

I never went, but New Hammond Beck Road is lodged in my memory? Did they race there, if so I imagined it must be quite exciting and a better version of Skegness Stock Car Racing Stadium which I loved going to as a kid? 🤔
Funny I was talking to a lady at one of my customers and her aunt lives at Grantham but her uncle from Adelaide rode for Boston barracudas

Lincoln City FC

@LincolnCity_FC

Tickets for Saturday's pre-season friendly at Salford City are now free for both sets of fans
1f44f.svg

Tickets: Salford City (A)
weareimps.com

Have they run out of beer?

Well, in way yes they had. The famous 'Oakwell Brewery' was closed down in 1976 after various mergers and takeovers. It was the end of the line for 'Barnsley Bitter'.
Subsequent phoenix brews have emerged elsewhere claiming the same name.

Tonight's scores:

Alfreton 2 Burton 1
Cambridge 1 QPR 2
Chorley 0 Bolton 1
Colchester 3 Ipswich 3
Crystal Palace 2 Charlton 2
Fleetwood 2 Huddersfield 1
Gillingham 1 Millwall 1
Hereford 1 Cheltenham 8
Kendal 1 Morecambe 4
Oldham 2 Crewe 1
Plymouth 0 Bristol City 1
Port Vale 1 Sheffield Wednesday 2
Rotherham 1 Newcastle 1
Tranmere 0 Sunderland 0
Warrington Town 0 Accrington 2
Wigan 2 Stoke 1
Woking 1 AFC Wimbledon 0

Pre-season minutes - excluding trialists and academy:

318: Max Melbourne
315: Tayo Edun, Sam Long
298: Liam Bridcutt
283: Remy Longdon
278: Tom Hopper
270: Conor McGrandles
257: James Jones
225: Adam Jackson
205: Chris Maguire
200: Cohen Bramall, Max Sanders
180: Lewis Fiorini
135: Hayden Cann
107: Jovon Makama
90: Lewis Montsma, Josh Griffiths
61: Regan Poole
45: Theo Archibald, Dan Nlundulu, Lasse Sorensen
0: Sean Roughan, Anthony Scully, Joe Walsh, Hakeeb Adelakun, Teddy Bishop (45 minutes for Ipswich against Bury Town)

172: Freddie Draper (I note that Freddie is shown on the first team page now on the OS, suggesting he is or is about to become a full-time pro).

Today's scores:

Doncaster 0 Sheffield United 4
MK Dons 1 Spurs 3 (15,795 including 5,850 from Spurs)
Oxford 2 Peterborough 2 (game 1)
Oxford 2 Peterborough 2 (game 2)
Wycombe 1 Leicester 0

I'm not sure. Initially, in the Football Echo at least, he only appeared under his initials - e.g. 'MB's view of the game'. His predecessor was 'NHB' (don't know who that was), so it was evidently the Echo's policy at that time for some reason to only use initials.

I only go back as far as 1964 where the Football Echo is concerned and it was MB by then.

I have a piece where he says he first came to Lincoln in the mid-1950s (from Sheffield, I believe). It's only my speculation that he started in a junior post with the Echo at that time until succeeding 'NHB' as sports editor at some point before 1964.

It would be interesting to get any more information.

I was in the same year as Maurice's nephew at secondary school in deepest, darkest South Yorkshire, so the Sheffield connection sounds feasible.

I'm not sure. Initially, in the Football Echo at least, he only appeared under his initials - e.g. 'MB's view of the game'. His predecessor was 'NHB' (don't know who that was), so it was evidently the Echo's policy at that time for some reason to only use initials.

I only go back as far as 1964 where the Football Echo is concerned and it was MB by then.

I have a piece where he says he first came to Lincoln in the mid-1950s (from Sheffield, I believe). It's only my speculation that he started in a junior post with the Echo at that time until succeeding 'NHB' as sports editor at some point before 1964.

It would be interesting to get any more information.

There was a long tradition going back to the nineteenth century that football reporters used psuedonyms. In the 1930s the Echo reporters included 'The Imp' and 'Jason'. NHB was Norman Blakey, who was married to one of the daughters of Charles Applewhite, who was club chairman for many years.