Pre-Season Schedule and Results | Vital Football

Pre-Season Schedule and Results

Rising

Alert Team
Only four games. I hope we are not under-cooked when we start the new season.

July 21: Borussia Dortmund (Chicago, USA) - 2.05am

July 26: Liverpool (New Jersey, USA) - 1.05am

July 29: Bayern Munich (Miami, USA) - 12.05am

August 5: Chelsea - Community Shield (Wembley) - 3pm

I think we will need to rely on BE to provide “on the spot” coverage looking at those timings.

I think so. Hoping they will be televised on some channel so I can record and watch at a civilised time

I think we will need to rely on BE to provide “on the spot” coverage looking at those timings.
The SHMBO and I are thinking about the Dorkman game in the Second City. But getting shot isn't a high priority of mine. The Jersey game is definitely out, I won't step foot in that stinkhole state. And Miami in July... I'd rather not die of a heatstroke. We may be sitting the friendlies out this year, and plan a trip to the island after Christmas. I'll have to enjoy the televised coverage.

That’s ok, BE if you only watch them on the tele. As long as you do your match reports in your own inimitable style, that will suffice.
(y)

No sign yet of the City tour games being shown on UK tv channels. But if memory serves this was the same last season at this time- they tended to pop up late

From Sky’s website:

Pep Guardiola has said all his players will have three weeks off after their World Cup duties.
With this time-frame in mind, the seven players involved in the final week of the World Cup - John Stones, Kyle Walker, Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph, Kevin De Bruyne, Vincent Kompany and Benjamin Mendy - will return to training in the second week in August. That would mean they would likely miss the Community Shield and be doubtful for their first Premier League game.
However, Stones, despite being allowed a three-week break, is aiming to be back for that Chelsea clash.
"I'm going to go back in for the first game against Chelsea in the Community Shield," he said.
"I just want to keep the momentum going. I will have a break. I will just make sure I am fighting fit for the new season."

Only seven senior players in the tour party which includes Mendy & Joe Hart.

We really are going to hit the start of the season with pretty much all of the squad not having trained in earnest together. Could be a challenging first few weeks.

Essentially this trip is to put players in the shop window; Hart, Denayer, Roberts, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko; 1st XI fitness for Bravo, Silva, Laporte, Mahrez, Sane; Keeping out of mischief; Blue Mendy and for the rest a preseason jolly and a taste of life outside of Carrington for the yoof team.

FT 1-0 to Dortmund on penalties. Stone cold penalty against Zinchinko, who had a rather poor game, No one stood out for me, apart from Jack Harrison. He's a nice little player. Foden didn't look anything special, unfortunately. The team as a whole squad looked disjointed, and lacked focus with the ball. Joe Hart made an appearance as the second half goalkeeper. I really hate this, but old Joe is a carton of expired milk. Sancho made it on for Dortmund, full of tricks, but looks selfish on the pitch. Sane came on late and made a few runs, but really nothing to show for it. Mahrez had a few nice passes, and a very good free kick at the break that required an excellent save. But he really didn't see tons of the ball. It's the first friendly so I didn't expect much, but even those expectations were too high. The preseason isn't going to tell us anything I'm afraid.

Thanks for the update Bama.

I think you are right, I doubt we will learn much from these games. Pre-season games are often disjointed affairs because everyone is rusty and the mix of players are unfamiliar. Given the absence of so many first teamers this summer following the WC that disjointed feeling is likely to persist - does not bode well for the next couple of games I fear.

We look likely to arrive at the Community Shield seriously undercooked. Let’s hope we are not alone.

Aren't preseason friendlies always like this - players bumping into each other, blinking hard and trying to get their bearings, comparing new tattoos etc...

Highlights of the game on the OS

https://www.mancity.com/

0-1 against a much more experienced side and the goal only conceded from a penalty. Couple of very decent free kicks by Mahrez which show promise and great for the youngsters to represent City in this tournament

Basically only Mahrez and Bravo were senior players, the rest of the side was made up of EDS, players who had been out on loan against a BRD side which had more experience and BRD's defenders were extremely tall guys against dwarfs .
Pep normally uses the games as an exercise in fitness, but I suspect that he was show casing those in the shop window and having a look at what he has in the bottom drawer.

I will get the Diaz, Foden and Mahrez out of the way first. These players showed that they can play but need better players around them otherwise as in this game, their efforts were came to nothing as others around the man were not on the same plane.

Denayer, Zinchenko ,Hart (who does not want to be deputy to anyone just yet) Harrison all showed they are good enough to be an asset to other clubs.

Douglas Luiz , an unknown quantity but his play led to the penalty by not playing to the refs whistle and in effect left Zinchenko in a hole.

The outstanding player for me was Erik Garcia playing at CB and looked a Pep player.

All in all it was a decent display with only conceding a single goal and that was a penalty, but although we had half chances we did not create anything whilst Mahrez showed he could be dangerous at set pieces.

Just finished watching Cheezy's YT vid. One gentleman towards the end was none too happy. He complained about all the kids in Man City jerseys. It sounds like he spent quite a bit of dosh, but he can't really have expected a strong lineup. Pretty funny, but it's all part of the learning curve.