Pre Season & Friendlies Thread | Page 80 | Vital Football

Pre Season & Friendlies Thread

Disappointing we have lost the last 2 friendlies but on a positive note, I'm pleased Emery has seen the dross in the squad who simply are not players that can improve and need to be eventually removed to make way for better quality to move us forward.

I can't see Unai hanging around wanting to keep players that can't give him the improvement he and his reputation demand

Sadly, it's going to take time and a loss of money to move them on.

"Everton continued their preparations ahead of a return to Premier League football with a 2-0 victory over Aston Villa in a behind-closed-doors training match at Goodison Park on Wednesday.

"Anthony Gordon and Neal Maupay struck early to give the Toffees a two-goal lead inside 15 minutes, which they would hold on to thanks to a string of saves from Jordan Pickford. The 28-year-old returned to domestic action following his everpresent part in England's run to the World Cup quarter-finals."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...s/what-happened-everton-hosted-aston-25811361
Sounds like the report we've come to expect.

Olson - having a mare.
Watkins - close but no cigar.

Disappointing we have lost the last 2 friendlies but on a positive note, I'm pleased Emery has seen the dross in the squad who simply are not players that can improve and need to be eventually removed to make way for better quality to move us forward.

I can't see Unai hanging around wanting to keep players that can't give him the improvement he and his reputation demand

Sadly, it's going to take time and a loss of money to move them on.

"Everton continued their preparations ahead of a return to Premier League football with a 2-0 victory over Aston Villa in a behind-closed-doors training match at Goodison Park on Wednesday.

"Anthony Gordon and Neal Maupay struck early to give the Toffees a two-goal lead inside 15 minutes, which they would hold on to thanks to a string of saves from Jordan Pickford. The 28-year-old returned to domestic action following his everpresent part in England's run to the World Cup quarter-finals."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...s/what-happened-everton-hosted-aston-25811361

Agreed, can't score and can't keep the ball out. Centre back and centre forward are desperately needed, as well as getting Emi back in goals.

Just remember we went through the summer friendlies unbeaten and then came the Bournemouth debacle. The friendly results count for absolutely nothing once the serious stuff starts.

I never got carried away with winning the pre-season games and we are where we are because of the calibre of our squad and several first-team players:

Olsen.
Augustinsson
Chambers.
Nakamba.
McGinn.
Watkins.
Mings.
Konsa.

Our defenders continue to make the same sloppy mistakes throughout the season hence why I included Mings and Konsa.

McGinn is playing in a league above his level which hurts me to say as I love the bloke.

Watkins can't go from a player lacking control, confidence, and finishing ability to a top striker just like that mainly because he hasn't got the natural ability to do so. which is why the club badly need a top striker who can.

The 5 subs rule has made a difference to games and that's why I said the squad needs to be improved if we want to match other teams in games and our new managers desire to attempt to win every game and enhance his well earned reputation in football.

The above will struggle to give him what he wants from his players but that of course is just my own opinion :thumbup:

Last edited:
Olsen.
Augustinsson
Chambers.
Nakamba.
McGinn.
Watkins.
Mings.
Konsa.

Our defenders continue to make the same sloppy mistakes throughout the season hence why I included Mings and Konsa.

Agree with this entire list, these are our most inferior players from a technical perspective as well as probably the most error-prone players too, some of that goes hand in hand. There is no lack of desire or even professionalism among any of them but simply put they are not of a good enough level. The first 3 on the list were publicly acknowledged as backup signings and we've evolved past the other 5.

Bloke called Marschall who came on for Olsen at HT in the Villarreal game . Not sure if he featured today

Zych was in for the U21s or whatever we call them now lol

So Marschall I suspect was at least with the seniors, but I can't see any team news of note - granted I haven't looked hard.