Pre-Season Business | Vital Football

Pre-Season Business

Pearced

Vital 1st Team Regular
With the first match on the horizon, how do people think we've done so far?

For me it's a mixed bag. I didn't want Britt to leave but it was always going to happen. Decent price, some money to spend and I suspect the goals are there so we won't miss him too much. I suspect Lichaj will leave soon which would be a shame.

Buying so far is on the disappointing side. Started well with McKay and Cummings, both of whom I think will prove great buys for us. The new anagram right back looks good, price about what you'd expect, maybe a bit high. Murphy and Gardner are, I suspect, money thrown away. Both would have been good signings if free.

There is a big hole still in midfield and arguably at centre half. Both likely to be unfilled.

So, lower mid-table is my guess.

Gardner isn't coming.
Bouchalakis will conclude our business in this window.
Disappointed in that we need midfielders.
I am pleased with the business done with the players signed.

I think it's been dreadful on the whole.

We've done a spurs- sold a special player and replaced with a quantity of mediocrity.

If we had signed loads of players for the future that would be one thing. But we haven't. £2m on a 34 year old FFS. McKay and Cummings are punts that might work and are the only ones we can look forward to.

Could easily start with the same team as last year minus the three best players.

We've also lost out on as many targets as we have got. If Greek fella is the last and we miss out on Hector then it's been an appalling window IMO

PsychoTheLegend - 27/7/2017 14:40

Gardner isn't coming.

Bouchalakis wont conclude our business. 1000% percent sure.

We are going to have a slow midfield with the likes of Cohen, Bouch, Osborn, Vaughan and Gardner - and very left footed!

It's been a good summer so far with a good balance of youth and experience coming in I can see what the management team are trying to do here. There is no weight of expectation hanging over the squad or the coaching staff for he coming season as our chairman has already stated that this seasons aim is not to be involved in a relegation battle. Things off the pitch are looking really good, new ticketing system, new premier league standard dug outs and changing rooms, new pitch (looking amazing), City Ground cleaned up and painted, 16,500 season tickets sold (raising around 6m), record sales on new home & away shirts and I'm told executive boxes and hospitality sales are also going very well. On the playing side of things I think we might surprise a few. Really looking forward to the new season for a change. Yep, Sidney's a happy clappy chappie!

A sensible summer so far rather than an exciting one. Decent profit made, some young promise, some wiser old heads and money in the bank.

It won't fuel dreams of promotion but it should help to put is back on an even footing, something desperately needed after Fawaz.

I agree with that CP

Again all this depends on aims are this season. If looking for mid table (obscurity) then that's alright, we are in place to do that and build for next year (but if that was case why get Murphy?).

Or is the aim for top 6?

To do that we need some key signings to take us up a couple championship level. Going from relegation fighting to top six is not that unheard of if you can spend and bring in players. Just look at Huddersfield and Reading last season.

Bad_Dog - 27/7/2017 14:43

PsychoTheLegend - 27/7/2017 14:40

Gardner isn't coming.

Bouchalakis wont conclude our business. 1000% percent sure.

Glad to hear it. Our CM still in need of fortifying. If Gardner comes in...I'd still like a DCM.

(Commanding CH. Experienced goalkeeper and perhaps a LB as well.)

SA.

Widdow - 27/7/2017 15:47

I agree with that CP

Again all this depends on aims are this season. If looking for mid table (obscurity) then that's alright, we are in place to do that and build for next year (but if that was case why get Murphy?).

Or is the aim for top 6?

To do that we need some key signings to take us up a couple championship level. Going from relegation fighting to top six is not that unheard of if you can spend and bring in players. Just look at Huddersfield and Reading last season.

I think Murphy is about ensuring we do finish midtable this year and next whilst taking the pressure off BB and Cummings. A proven goalscorer means they can develop without huge responsibility. He's also supposed to be a good egg and a positive dressing room shouldn't be undervalued.

Pope John XXIII - 27/7/2017 14:41

We've done a spurs- sold a special player and replaced with a quantity of mediocrity.

If we had signed loads of players for the future that would be one thing. But we haven't. £2m on a 34 year old FFS. McKay and Cummings are punts that might work and are the only ones we can look forward to.

Could easily start with the same team as last year minus the three best players.

We've also lost out on as many targets as we have got. If Greek fella is the last and we miss out on Hector then it's been an appalling window IMO

Given that we clearly needed to sell to buy and comply what would have been a good summer to you?

We've added:

2 young talented players
1 exciting RWB
1 CM used to playing at a higher level
1 Proven goalscorer

We also have Clough who should hopefully be settling in along with a number of young players who have all had a year to mature.

A list of realistic signing that we've missed who've gone to fellow relegation rivals with financial constraints similar to ours will make interesting reading. I look forward to it.

Calvin Plummer - 27/7/2017 15:53

Widdow - 27/7/2017 15:47

I agree with that CP

Or is the aim for top 6?

I think Murphy is about ensuring we do finish midtable this year and next whilst taking the pressure off BB and Cummings. A proven goalscorer means they can develop without huge responsibility. He's also supposed to be a good egg and a positive dressing room shouldn't be undervalued.

I've been hearing for years what a great / strong dressing room we have, just on the pitch its not followed.

This season they actually do have a nice new revamped dressing room, so hope that will give them a extra spring in their step!

Calvin Plummer - 27/7/2017 16:00

Given that we clearly needed to sell to buy and comply what would have been a good summer to you?

We've added:

2 young talented players
1 exciting RWB
1 Proven goalscorer

We also have Clough who should hopefully be settling in along with a number of young players who have all had a year to mature.

A list of realistic signing that we've missed who've gone to fellow relegation rivals with financial constraints similar to ours will make interesting reading. I look forward to it.

I'll be happy to provide it for you once you arrange for the club to pay me for such a service. McParland has been paid for identifying old players he knows so it shouldn't be too hard.

But until that happens you can whistle CP. I'm under no obligation to provide anything to you to justify having an opinion- especially when your opinion is simultaneously justified with more opinion.

I've voiced my opinion and provided sufficient rationale for it.

I know you find it hard to simply say 'it's disagree' but that's the way it's going to have to be. Your patronising comments are not going to change my mind.

I think it's been a sensible summer so far.
2 promising young players in for our development squad.
2 promising young players from Scotland (so 4 invested in Pope in total)
A proven right back, at his peak, highly rated by most of Burnleys fans.
An experienced midfielder, though largely unknown here, who has impressed on trial.
A proven goalscorer to help bring on the young guys and give us some more experience.
A decent blend overall.
The promise of maybe a couple more as well, we will have to wait and see.
All in all not too bad, especially after the excesses of Fawaz.

Sidney Vicious - 27/7/2017 15:32

It's been a good summer so far with a good balance of youth and experience coming in I can see what the management team are trying to do here. There is no weight of expectation hanging over the squad or the coaching staff for he coming season as our chairman has already stated that this seasons aim is not to be involved in a relegation battle. Things off the pitch are looking really good, new ticketing system, new premier league standard dug outs and changing rooms, new pitch (looking amazing), City Ground cleaned up and painted, 16,500 season tickets sold (raising around 6m), record sales on new home & away shirts and I'm told executive boxes and hospitality sales are also going very well. On the playing side of things I think we might surprise a few. Really looking forward to the new season for a change. Yep, Sidney's a happy clappy chappie!

:35:

Calvin Plummer - 27/7/2017 16:00

We've added:

2 young talented players
1 exciting RWB
1 Proven goalscorer

Just to jump in

I do agree with CP

As for realistic signings..., quite a few to be honest spring to mind

Keeper

Ruddy on a free to Wolves was good business.

They also signed another keeper Will Norris from Cambridge who I think has a big future.

Defenders

Conor McLaughlin Free from Fleetwood Town – I definitely would have signed this right back who went on a free this summer to Millwall. Always consistent and has performed at a higher lever for Northern Ireland and went to world cup and at just 25. See how he does against us next Friday. He has actually played a lot of games last two years. Darwika, albeit up a league never appeared in EPL

Iorfa - loan for 12 months to Ipswich. Wouldn't want him, but would have been cheaper than Darwika

Birmingham signed Marc Roberts a big centre back from Barnsley for just £3.5m

Fulham got Kalas on loan from Chelsea (would say cos they are in London, but Kalas also went to Boro on loan)

Looks like Hector off to Hull (but they've got the money)

Ryan Bennett went to Wolves on a free transfer. Experienced CB but still 26

Portsmouth Enda Stevens, signed for Sheffield United, so be interesting to see how he gets on for them at left back.

Another Left back I liked was James Meredith from Bradford, but he just signed for Millwall for nothing. Again can he make step up?

Midfield

Matty Lund 26 Rochdale. Strong man in middle, and started to score goals as well this year including a hat trick – been in the goals for Burton in pre season after signing on a free for them

Huddlestone for £2m could prove good value as still only 30 and that player type needed– plus we paid that amount for a 34 year old.

Norwood on loan for Fulham – more action that GG (plus doesn’t come with 2 old ACL injuries)

John Lundstram Centre midfield signing for Sheff Utd from Oxford would be a great addition.

Marly Watkins on a free but went to Norwich, who have the money

Strikers
Would say Brentford done good business (they normally do)– Would of certainly gone for Ollie Watkins I know about but bet we hear about Neal Maupay (striker) and Kamohelo Mokotjo (midfielder) in the years to come

Liam Boyce - £600k to Burton, could be hit or miss – if he scores 12 plus goals would double his value (Murphy wont double his)

Widdow - 27/7/2017 16:51

Liam Boyce - £600k to Burton, could be hit or miss – if he scores 12 plus goals would double his value (Murphy wont double his)

No but Cummings easily might, totally different signings to compare, signed for differing reasons.