Pre match protest on Tuesday | Page 7 | Vital Football

Pre match protest on Tuesday

Ok 👍
Scally out
Then what ?
You’re a reasonable bloke, as is Mark.
What’s the solution?
I’m blowed if I know.
Scally has openly said that he’d sell if anyone is interested.
What else can he do?

Sadly Shoty I don't think there is a solution, as I've said before it hink we'll end up back where PS picked us up, why, because PS doesn't have the ability to keep us going long term, has alienated too many (and continues to do so) and even if there was/is someone out there to take us over I have my doubts he'd be able to do a deal. Hopefully it won't come to that but GFC is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what PS thinks its worth.

So far he has no takers or offers, up till now hasn't found any investors (and I don't believe in 20 years of looking there haven't been some, just not on his terms) and he has no money to take us forward. A bleak prospect all round.

All the while the reputation of the business is being damaged as much by his actions as the SOB. VIOLENCE and abusive behaviour shouldn't be tolerated, difference of opinion (as we've had on this subject many times) should be. Sadly PS doesn't do difference of opinion

Last edited:
Most have said the same thing on here. Do not do the PS out rubbish during a game - no exceptions but - it is their right to do it before or after a game. This was before the game and therefore by default we have to defend that position.

reminds you of other PS v someone arguments Where both sides are in the wrong. He takes to litigation or force.

I'm uncomfortable with supporters being banned for protesting outside the ground. Many on here said the "Scally out" chants during the game are not helpful for the team (I agree) now a group of lads are being mocked for a peaceful protest. It's not actually about agreeing with them or not but they at least have a right to do that if they wish.

Reality check is whether we like it or not many are choosing to stay away, partly because we're doing badly but also they have issues with the Chairman. It won't stop me going personally whoever is in charge but I know mates who rarely go now or stopped all together. I think the Season ticket lack of communication/refund offer was the final straw for many loyal supporters.

The attendance yesterday looked shocking (admittedly I was only watching on ifollow due to a very early shift for work today I had to be up for) do we really want to lose more and more of our fanbase?

At times I've actually defended Scally a bit infront of pals and I do think some of the abuse (by a minority) he recieves is bang out of order. I want to like Scally but he doesn't help himself with things like the late change of kick off time then telling Gills fans he only knew about it the night before, it might seem trivial to some but I find it insulting to take us for mugs. Another line trotted out was if you don't like it "go and support Charlton" just not helpful and further alienates the support.

I'll always be very grateful for Scally stepping in 1995 and some great Wembley trips/Championship years etc but we desperately need a change of direction now. I thought the motto was "never look back" currently that's exactly what we're doing though.

Nah I don't have the answers or 10 million quid lying around to buy the club but some fresh ideas and vision would be brilliant for Gillingham Football Club.

I'm uncomfortable with supporters being banned for protesting outside the ground. Many on here said the "Scally out" chants during the game are not helpful for the team (I agree) now a group of lads are being mocked for a peaceful protest. It's not actually about agreeing with them or not but they at least have a right to do that if they wish.

Reality check is whether we like it or not many are choosing to stay away, partly because we're doing badly but also they have issues with the Chairman. It won't stop me going personally whoever is in charge but I know mates who rarely go now or stopped all together. I think the Season ticket lack of communication/refund offer was the final straw for many loyal supporters.

The attendance yesterday looked shocking (admittedly I was only watching on ifollow due to a very early shift for work today I had to be up for) do we really want to lose more and more of our fanbase?

At times I've actually defended Scally a bit infront of pals and I do think some of the abuse (by a minority) he recieves is bang out of order. I want to like Scally but he doesn't help himself with things like the late change of kick off time then telling Gills fans he only knew about it the night before, it might seem trivial to some but I find it insulting to take us for mugs. Another line trotted out was if you don't like it "go and support Charlton" just not helpful and further alienates the support.

I'll always be very grateful for Scally stepping in 1995 and some great Wembley trips/Championship years etc but we desperately need a change of direction now. I thought the motto was "never look back" currently that's exactly what we're doing though.

Nah I don't have the answers or 10 million quid lying around to buy the club but some fresh ideas and vision would be brilliant for Gillingham Football Club.

great post.

banning people for a peaceful protest is a big mistake IMO

I hadn't bothered mentioning it before because it's trivial in the scheme of things but searching at last night's game was absurd. I visted the Factory and had to bob out for a few minutes. OAP searched twice within minutes by a steward, who was clearly embarrassed with his own instructions. He muttered something about not having a banner and laughed to deflect. I felt sorry for him rather than annoyed but my younger self would have gone out again, made a banner, wrapped it round myself and re-entered the stadium in order to display it.

Just took a quick look on Kent online and a few are saying that this totally innocent protester Dom Ballard, who was denied entrance is actually well known for online vitriol towards Scally with a lot of abuse including calling him a c’nt and a prick.
So, possibly not as innocent as he’s proclaiming.
He’s obviously known to the club.

Banned for taking part in the protest outside the ground, having previously been to all home and away league games. Stewards wouldn’t let him in.
There’s a long thread that follows that goes into more details.

Then again, if you spend an extented time talking and interacting with a group of people who have been banned as trouble makers then I am not surprised if a decision was made to block anyone from the group trying to get in.

It'll be interesting to see if Dom Bellend is actually officially banned by the club or if it was more of the case of the stewards just blanket preventing everyone knowing that there are those protesting are on the banned list.

Just took a quick look on Kent online and a few are saying that this totally innocent protester Dom Ballard, who was denied entrance is actually well known for online vitriol towards Scally with a lot of abuse including calling him a c’nt and a prick.
So, possibly not as innocent as he’s proclaiming.
He’s obviously known to the club.

So? He (according to him) has been to every match, and wasn't kicking off last night. Criticism of Scally stands IMO.

The club are making no effort to attract new fans, and are banning.existing ones. What is the end game?

Administration a potential outcome I would think.
I’d say that on the balance of probabilities, that would likely be the case.
Scally has apparently lost interest in the club.
Let’s hope that a new Scally is waiting in the wings or do we go the way of Bury ?

I’d say that on the balance of probabilities, that would likely be the case.
Scally has apparently lost interest in the club.
Let’s hope that a new Scally is waiting in the wings or do we go the way of Bury ?

Time will tell mate. The other option is he reaches the same conclusion and reduces his asking price to any prospective buyers. Something is better than nothing.

If there aren't any then the outcome will be a sad day but like the village pub that shuts people can't say they didn't see it coming.

Administration a potential outcome I would think.
I can’t see that as it ties into his own finances.
He’d keep reducing the playing budget first, even if meant relegation, (I think we’ll go down this season anyway even if Evans stays in charge).
It could be more likely that any players we’ve got who are worth a fee to someone else may be sold in January, just to help the club’s finances.
All the players are out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

I can’t see that as it ties into his own finances.
He’d keep reducing the playing budget first, even if meant relegation, (I think we’ll go down this season anyway even if Evans stays in charge).
It could be more likely that any players we’ve got who are worth a fee to someone else may be sold in January, just to help the club’s finances.
All the players are out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

I was thinking in 2-3 years but I didn't make that clear.

We should sell and get decent adds ons. Might prevent the first bit

I hadn't bothered mentioning it before because it's trivial in the scheme of things but searching at last night's game was absurd. I visted the Factory and had to bob out for a few minutes. OAP searched twice within minutes by a steward, who was clearly embarrassed with his own instructions. He muttered something about not having a banner and laughed to deflect. I felt sorry for him rather than annoyed but my younger self would have gone out again, made a banner, wrapped it round myself and re-entered the stadium in order to display it.

Actually, in the old days the correct line would have been to instruct all cadres to launch a counter protest next to the protestors condemning their demonstration against the club, followed by a second protest in the ground against the club for allowing our protestors into the ground while refusing the other protestors entry. Anyone with a scientific grasp of objective material conditions and the resultant historical necessity, would realize the situation demanded nothing less.

Actually, in the old days the correct line would have been to instruct all cadres to launch a counter protest next to the protestors condemning their demonstration against the club, followed by a second protest in the ground against the club for allowing our protestors into the ground while refusing the other protestors entry. Anyone with a scientific grasp of objective material conditions and the resultant historical necessity, would realize the situation demanded nothing less.

Or alternatively large numbers us would have been pissed and up for stupidity. The police would have taken a quick check on numbers and personnel before deciding whether to ignore, or steam in. All participants would have attended the next game unchallenged. If everyone, who had abused Scally in the ground, or online was banned (not me guv) the attendance would be low 3 figures.

I too am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of arresting or banning supporters in the streets outside the ground.

We do, after all, live in a democracy with the right to free expression.

This isn't Russia, Azerbaijan or Venezuela, where the authorities can see fit to act on the authority of the government or receive bribes from an oligarch to detain or censor someone with opposing views.