Praise the Hero's and the foolish risk takers... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Praise the Hero's and the foolish risk takers...

If we're looking at incoming transfers, here's the full list:

Hits
14/15 Davies, Vorm, Dele, Dier
15/16 Toby, Son, Trippier
16/17 Wanyama
17/18 Sanchez, Foyth?, Moura?

Misses
14/15 Yedlin, Fazio, Stambouli
15/16 Wimmer, N'Jie
16/17 Sissoko, N'Koudou, Janssen
17/18 Gazzaniga?, Llorente, Aurier? (so far)

It's about 50:50 success rate with little net spending.

Said this a thousand times, but let's buy quality over quantity moving forward. Buying 6 senior players every summer just isn't conducive to improving. With the money we've spent on N'Jie, N'Koudou and Llorente we could have had Zaha in our squad for 2-3- years.

Worth commending Poch and Levy on the outgoings though. Poch has been ruthless with certain squad players whilst Levy has been great at getting top dollar for them.

Depends on whether or not the price range was set and if it was they automatically only looked at "duffers" to begin with.

That's a quite brilliant point 80.............. Can't you just hear Levy saying " ok Poch ,if you're so good at bringing on young talent ,and making them superstars , I'm not spending stupid money anymore , do your best with this lot ,"

I have just looked at Poch's signings and if he had anything to do with them Levy would be taking a risk throwing money at him. Fazio, Nkoudu, Njie, Wimmer , Llorente, Yedlin, Stambouli , Aurier, Janssen. If you include Sissoko who many would ,that's 10 duffers.Any more ?

He has made some poor buys. In his first summer though we were on a tighter budget and he didn't have much time to get who he wanted. So a bit more understandable. After that though he doesn't have them excuses.

Wimmer was brilliant in his first season to be fair.

I do get you're point though.

I heard we have spent a total of 40 mil net over 8 windows. So as suspected Poch may have had his hands tied . I think Poch may have learnt by his mistakes. He has repeatedly said we won't be signing players unless they improve the squad.

Might be worth doing a similar exercise looking at other clubs signings and their duffer percentage.

Ex, that’s very interesting but isn’t there a difference between being televised a lot and converting that into sponsorship/support? I, perhaps naively, assumed that the huge difference in revenue between UTD and ourselves is due to their having many years of winning the League, FA Cups, European Cup etc. I like the point about matching brand ethos, particularly with the Liverpool/ Nivea for men adverts!

No of course you're right;

Manure have history on their side - it enables them to build compelling commercial sponsorship offers - on a scale that at the moment we can only dream of - if we have a failure from the business perspective its the lack of growth in our commercial (non playing revs).

But, as of now , in terms of sponsorship brand value the fast track is 'eyes per game/per season' viewer numbers are a heavier weighting in brand deals today than ever before - that will of course be boosted by winning, but that takes years of winning, perhaps even decades to become an established factor - and we simply don't have that sort of consistent history, so to some extent that too is chicken and the egg.

Winning must come, but it has to more than the 'odd cup' if we are to finallty truely establish ourselves as a Top European Club - to that extent, Poch has great insight and vision because it's also clearly what he can see, but as always fans want silverware, any silverware in the cabinet today - Poch I seriously believe is looking beyond short-termism, something it's clear a big part of our fans just won't agree with.

Poch I seriously believe is looking beyond short-termism, something it's clear a big part of our fans just won't agree with.

I'm pretty certain that Levy appreciates this as well but his risk adverse nature holds him back from betting the house. Maybe Poch has shown him enough that he's now willing to take the next step.

I'm pretty certain that Levy appreciates this as well but his risk adverse nature holds him back from betting the house. Maybe Poch has shown him enough that he's now willing to take the next step.

It's a good point; we've never had a coach/manager that has won him over so completely as Poch has - especially as it was a very rocky start.

I'm told they're firm friends now; which is why I believe that some of the more hysterical media interpretations of his post match comments are nothing more than utter garbage.

But there is no doubt that Poch believes that this squad of players need tweaking and we're now in the realms of only being able to show an incremental improvement by spending vast sums - sums that have previously been beyond us.

It's a good point; we've never had a coach/manager that has won him over so completely as Poch has - especially as it was a very rocky start.

I'm told they're firm friends now; which is why I believe that some of the more hysterical media interpretations of his post match comments are nothing more than utter garbage.

But there is no doubt that Poch believes that this squad of players need tweaking and we're now in the realms of only being able to show an incremental improvement by spending vast sums - sums that have previously been beyond us.

The cost to go from where we are now is not proportional to the improvement we need to make to win, that's for sure.