Powell wants to stay | Vital Football

Powell wants to stay

I must admit that I am not surprised as the look on his face when playing at the moment is probably the happiest I have seen him.

How do you assess the enigma that is Nick Powell ?

His performance yesterday sort of sums it up, he is way ahead of anyone else on view. Some of the flicks and touches he produces are as good as it gets, in fact so good even his own team mates struggle to read them and fail to get on the end of them.

There is no doubt he has the technical ability to play at a higher level, my only concern would be his fitness. Once again we saw him leave the field apparently with a little muscle niggle. It makes me wonder if this is why he is still with us. Would a premier league manager have the same patience as Paul Cook. Would a premier league club seriously consider paying big money for a player who doesn't last a full match. There has been considerable discussion about his value during the window, some saying that he is worth as much as £15 million, but who will take the chance of a player that is likely to be sidelined for much of the season.

To us he is invaluable, priceless even, and working with Paul Cook seems to be the best thing for Nick. Hopefully all parties concerned realise this and can agree a suitable contract to benefit the player, the club and the supporters and we can all watch in awe as he leads us to the promised land in the next few seasons.

He is an enigma, but I believe Paul Cook is the code breaker that can solve the puzzle once and for all.

Good post TrueBeliver i think you're right for all his talent Powells injuries and attitude issues over the years probably put some teams off but and Paul Cook being the key to getting the best out of him.

My impression is Powell is not your average footballer from a psychological perspective (doesnt seem to be driven by getting to bigger clubs and more money asap) and is a bit of a complicated character that needs man managing in a very particular way that Cook has down to a fine art. After some if the unhappy times in Nicks career it seems like now he's finally found some happiness he doesn't want to risk losing it by moving at the moment.

It's an unusual situation but one that is a huge benefit to us. Things can change so fast in football and the chances of a player staying at one club for years and years is so rare but wouldn't it be wonderful if Nick became a bit like our LeTissier and stayed to be the king of a small club rather than going to a big club.

I must admit that I am not surprised as the look on his face when playing at the moment is probably the happiest I have seen him.

How do you assess the enigma that is Nick Powell ?

His performance yesterday sort of sums it up, he is way ahead of anyone else on view. Some of the flicks and touches he produces are as good as it gets, in fact so good even his own team mates struggle to read them and fail to get on the end of them.

There is no doubt he has the technical ability to play at a higher level, my only concern would be his fitness. Once again we saw him leave the field apparently with a little muscle niggle. It makes me wonder if this is why he is still with us. Would a premier league manager have the same patience as Paul Cook. Would a premier league club seriously consider paying big money for a player who doesn't last a full match. There has been considerable discussion about his value during the window, some saying that he is worth as much as £15 million, but who will take the chance of a player that is likely to be sidelined for much of the season.

To us he is invaluable, priceless even, and working with Paul Cook seems to be the best thing for Nick. Hopefully all parties concerned realise this and can agree a suitable contract to benefit the player, the club and the supporters and we can all watch in awe as he leads us to the promised land in the next few seasons.

He is an enigma, but I believe Paul Cook is the code breaker that can solve the puzzle once and for all.
Someone else unlocked his talent. Owen Coyle.

I agree KDZ, Nick is certainly a complicated character and I wonder how much of that complication is down to the fact that he was touted so readily by Alex Ferguson as the next Paul Scholes at such a young age. It certainly makes you think about the way other young talents are treated and how their heads are turned by the major clubs and their own agents who in most cases only have their own bank accounts in mind.

After the stop start career he’s had, Nick now has a regular place in a Championship team with a manager who rates and trusts him and he’s playing with a smile on his face. What’s not to like? He’s no fool and knows he’d be a bench player at a so called “bigger club”. I hope he stays and turns out for Wigan in the Premier League.

Not seeing it Dan...no doubt he is playing well but he still looks surly and petulant to me prone to kicking out when it goes against him . Maybe he needs this aspect to make him tick.

I think Nicks playing with a smile on his face and looks in a good place.
But perhaps with the amount of rough stuff he gets and team mates sometimes not being on his wavelength i'm not surprised though he occasionally looks surly.
I'd say that he and Morsy have stopped with the kicking out.

[QUOTE="king_dezeeuw06, post: 1547364, member: 10671"....a player staying at one club for years and years is so rare but wouldn't it be wonderful if Nick became a bit like our LeTissier and stayed to be the king of a small club rather than going to a big club.[/QUOTE]

It's a lovely pipe dream KDZ but the far more likely scenario is Cook goes to a bigger club and Powell follows him minutes later. Enjoy watching him while it lasts.

Not seeing it Dan...no doubt he is playing well but he still looks surly and petulant to me prone to kicking out when it goes against him . Maybe he needs this aspect to make him tick.

I think that is him deliberetly 's--- housing' to be honest as much as it's him being petulant, he is always doing everything to wind the opposition up and get them booked and trying to generally get in their heads by walking that fine line like Michael Brown used to. I'm sure he get's kicked a lot but he gives as good as he gets.

I agree KDZ, Nick is certainly a complicated character and I wonder how much of that complication is down to the fact that he was touted so readily by Alex Ferguson as the next Paul Scholes at such a young age. It certainly makes you think about the way other young talents are treated and how their heads are turned by the major clubs and their own agents who in most cases only have their own bank accounts in mind.

I think that certainly will have been a part but i suspect it could be deep than that. I imagine Nick's natural personality off the field even if he wasn't a footballer may be a little different to most. I think from everything we've seen from Nick and heard from his team mates about him he seems quite a unique character. That's not a critasism it's just what comes accross and part of the reason we love him - he's a complete one off.

Last edited:
Powell could sign a big contract with us. Arguably more than we could afford. A season or two of great performances in the Championship and he’d get a dream move and us a big fee.

Everyone’s a winner.

If he signs a 4 year deal on 15k a week that is £780,000 a year , not bad for something you enjoy .
Wish there was that money about when i played ..

Strong rumours today about Powell, Celtic and Brighton. We need to get his contract sorted as a matter of urgency. It would be lunacy to let our prize asset go to someone else on a free.....the takeover needs concluding now, fast

Strong rumours today about Powell, Celtic and Brighton. We need to get his contract sorted as a matter of urgency. It would be lunacy to let our prize asset go to someone else on a free.....the takeover needs concluding now, fast

Not strong rumours Charles just Nixon latest fantasy, for God's sake grow a pair and stop getting obsessed with the rumour mongers!!

For God's sake Charlz. Its no wonder people lose their rag with you. There are no rumours. Strong or otherwise. It's people filling up gossip columns because there's nothing proper happening. It's only a couple of days since Cook said a new contract for Powell is a priority. Did you see that or just choose to ignore it.

No, I did see it Chet BUT as each week goes by and no contract is signed the situation can and may change....there is nothing set in contract, that’s the problem. Oh, and who is losing their rag with me? I thought this message board was for football related comments. And, by the way, how do you know that Nixon is talking rubbish and only rumour mongering.......I hope you are right and I am wrong to be concerned!!!

It's basically stuff from weeks ago regurgitated. Surely you can see that. And it's 3 and a half months till the next transfer window. We've had these same headlines for the last 2 transfer windows and he's still here.