Post Match News Manchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion. | Vital Football

Post Match News Manchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion.

The BBC made Sergio Aguero their man of the match, whilst Sky, Radio Manchester and the Match Sponsors made Raheem Sterling their choice.

Home Team Man City Away Team Brighton
Possession Home 80% Away 20%
Shots Home 28 Away 4
Shots on Target Home 8 Away 1
Corners Home 10 Away 3
Fouls Home 4 Away 10

Home Team Man City Away Team Brighton
Possession Home 80% Away 20%
Shots Home 28 Away 4
Shots on Target Home 8 Away 1
Corners Home 10 Away 3
Fouls Home 4 Away 10

I have played for teams that have 'enjoyed' very little possession against superior opponents - it is no fun whatsoever and BHA have to take some credit for staying focused for the duration. Will catch the Sky extended highlights, motd & Goals on Sunday....

Here's hoping the squad have their focus back after the collective brain fart against Lyon :thumbup:

Brighton played well and yet they couldn't really have complained had we scored more, some cracking last ditch defending from them at times. Sterling goes from strength to strength and Aguero showing flashes of Maradona on his goal,lovely stuff.

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, asked to describe his side's performance: "Outstanding. Our positional game was fantastic and we didn't concede much in shots, and we did it so good.

"Brighton defended so well and I give a lot of credit to the way we attacked today. We are so fast on the counter-attack and it was quite similar last season."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45610320

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "The second goal was frustrating. They counter-attack very fast and very well. It's a typical Manchester City goal - at 1-0 we were always in the game but the second goal killed us.

"You don't want to get beaten but it's how you get beaten and these are the type of places where you can get beaten big. We had a goalkeeper who had to make big saves and defenders who had to block shots, so we did well to survive here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45610320

I'll confirm the various views above - it was a regulation win, and, it seemed to me, Brighton were happy to keep it at 2 conceded.

Brighton looked neat, tidy, and compact, but didn't offer anything by way of a threat. I was surprised that Murray didn't start.
The number 8, Bissouma, looked useful to me.
Laporte looked excellent again, currently our first choice centre half.

Just catching up with the highlights on Sky.......

The first goal was sublime. Sané played a critical part, from the little knick on the ball when closing down in our half through which we regained possession, his pace to join the attack and finally the magnificent, superb touch with his right foot after having first received the ball from Agüero...........magic. It just causes the defender to pause fracationally and gains him a tiny extra slice of space which ensures his cross isn’t cut out at the near post. We are taking fractions of seconds, the slimmest of margins. The slow motion replays show it perfectly - he just induces the slightest hesitation by the defender......

Fantastic. :bow:

The second goal.......

Brilliant fromAguero, unselfish from Sterling. Had that been Eden Hazard skilfully slaloming his way through an opposition defence int on the end of a one-two the media would have been wetting themselves (as they rightly did after Hazard’s goal which dumped the dippers out of the League Cup). I hope they are affording Sergio the praise he deserves. :bow: