Post Covid life. N/G and N/Politics | Page 3 | Vital Football

Post Covid life. N/G and N/Politics

We took a little stroll through Appledore yesterday and stopped for a Hockings ice cream from the van on the quay.
Cashless !!
A bloody ice cream van, cashless ? :p
So, I've still got the fiver.

We took a little stroll through Appledore yesterday and stopped for a Hockings ice cream from the van on the quay.
Cashless !!
A bloody ice cream van, cashless ? :p
So, I've still got the fiver.

Some ice cream vans in Medway have been cashless for a couple of years at least. Went to grandaughter's sports day and spent ages getting change together to join the queue for an ice cream only to discover he had a card machine. It's not entirely one way because the banks are quite naughty over card machine charges and some small businesses aren't playing.

A lot of buskers around London now offer contactless card payment facilities and I even know if a homeless bloke in Mayfair who begs with a card reader 😳

This should be on the Jokes thread, Shirley.
Nope, I shit you not. The beggar with the reader was a bloke we used to see quite regularly and we would often buy him a cup of tea until one morning he popped into Piccolo's, bought two coffees with a bank card and brought them out to us. Very surreal moment, being bought coffee by a homeless bloke. 😮

Nope, I shit you not. The beggar with the reader was a bloke we used to see quite regularly and we would often buy him a cup of tea until one morning he popped into Piccolo's, bought two coffees with a bank card and brought them out to us. Very surreal moment, being bought coffee by a homeless bloke. 😮

I saw a TV programme about professional beggars in London. It was horrific. The person doing the documentary was shocked to see an old man sleeping on the streets, he had a catheter and a bag just to illustrate his poor health. The bloke on the TV show befriended him and asked how he became homeless. Homeless the fella said, I've got a three bed semi in Liverpool but two weeks down her begging covers the mortgage.

Another invited him back to his flat in Dartford for the night, ordered a takeaway on there way back.

It pisses me off. I'd like to help people out on the streets but you just don't know if they are genuine or not. Far easier to help out the street charities so I do that instead.

I saw a TV programme about professional beggars in London. It was horrific. The person doing the documentary was shocked to see an old man sleeping on the streets, he had a catheter and a bag just to illustrate his poor health. The bloke on the TV show befriended him and asked how he became homeless. Homeless the fella said, I've got a three bed semi in Liverpool but two weeks down her begging covers the mortgage.

Another invited him back to his flat in Dartford for the night, ordered a takeaway on there way back.

It pisses me off. I'd like to help people out on the streets but you just don't know if they are genuine or not. Far easier to help out the street charities so I do that instead.
Agreed, if anyone asks for change for a cuppa, I offer to buy the cuppa which is usually met with "f*** off". 😳
The guy in Mayfair made me laugh, we turned up at our post one morning and he was using an ipad to check his social media. He became quite famous by being befriended by Simon Cowell who admired his entrepreneurial spirit. I saw it more as having people over, still, nice latte 👌

The "homeless by choice" thing is quite common, I'm sure many of them are better off than me but people don't believe you when you tell them that.

Here in my corner of Kent there've been very few restrictions on cash, and those that were in place have ended as shops have realised they're in no positions to choose how people pay. When the High Street opened last Monday a couple had 'cash only' signs, but I noticed they'd gone when I ventured out this afternoon. Card charges can be quite prohibitive to businesses so I always try to do my bit by using cash unless I'm making a high value purchase