Post Covid life. N/G and N/Politics | Vital Football

Post Covid life. N/G and N/Politics

I'm just looking forward to getting out of the house!
I noticed we spend a lot on stuff we don't need, so can see that continuing. We planned to holiday in the UK this year, but that's out of the window. Next year now, maybe. Won't be going to football for a long time, even if they do allow fans.
The upside of all this is that my wife and I work as a couple! We're with each other 24/7, and we haven't argued, and we've got on really well together. Not a lot of couples can do that lol

You do realise that not many people will see your post lol

I'm just looking forward to getting out of the house!
I noticed we spend a lot on stuff we don't need, so can see that continuing. We planned to holiday in the UK this year, but that's out of the window. Next year now, maybe. Won't be going to football for a long time, even if they do allow fans.
The upside of all this is that my wife and I work as a couple! We're with each other 24/7, and we haven't argued, and we've got on really well together. Not a lot of couples can do that lol

You do realise that not many people will see your post lol
Very good 👍

The thing about the Mrs is interesting. I love Mrs Nobby to bits but thought the extra time together would be a killer. Quite the opposite in fact and its nice (although I've still been working, we've not had to work so many rest days due to parliament not sitting etc)
I've got so much done around the flat too but, unlike many others, have hardly spent anything.
Were holding onto hope that our booked holiday in Lanzarote will go ahead. Probably be some sort of distancing and mask rules but I'm nit too bothered, just not having to carry all this kit every day makes a massive difference.

Hope you and Mrs LSB are well, you sound like you've got a strong marriage. Thats good in these times of disposable relationships 👍

Interesting questions VG.

I always wanted to retire early. Got a few underlying health issues which mean that I was never likely to get a card from the queen. COVID has reinforced that desire to retire early, but that means getting the mortgage paid off and build up a nest egg to live off before the pension kicks in. The impact of COVID on what previously was a secure job is still to be seen, but its reinforced my desire to clear the mortgage as a priority.

One change is the ability to work from home. I live close to work so for me I would always go into work, even at the weekend, if I needed to do something. I have worked from home since March 23rd. After lockdown is lifted I have proven that I don't have to go in everyday and so probably will still work from home once or twice a week. I imagine for commuters who can do the same it will be fantastic.

I have saved so much during lockdown and I need to try and keep that going. Simple realisations of spending £100 a month on lunches at work. That can be avoided by taking stuff in.

We did have a trip to Spain semi-planned for July but hadn't booked it so not missing out.

I was thinking of looking for a new job as I've been where I am for 10 years, but i've definitely changed my mind on that. I am very lucky that my job is safe, I can do it at home (at my own pace!), and I seem to be appreciated by my colleagues. I do miss them though, and am looking forward to going back to the office.

Initially during covid I was very worried, not about catching, but how it would affect the economy and other people. I thought we would have civil disorder (a lot worse than we have now). I'm much less worried now, and to be honest, I have enjoyed it. I've seen much more of my teenage boys, and despite having 3 hours a day when I'm not commuting, I have never been bored.

I'm probably the perfect person for lockdown as I'm not really a social person. I don't do queueing though, but I know where to go (and when) to avoid them.

I haven't missed the football either.

Very good 👍

The thing about the Mrs is interesting. I love Mrs Nobby to bits but thought the extra time together would be a killer. Quite the opposite in fact and its nice (although I've still been working, we've not had to work so many rest days due to parliament not sitting etc)
I've got so much done around the flat too but, unlike many others, have hardly spent anything.
Were holding onto hope that our booked holiday in Lanzarote will go ahead. Probably be some sort of distancing and mask rules but I'm nit too bothered, just not having to carry all this kit every day makes a massive difference.

Hope you and Mrs LSB are well, you sound like you've got a strong marriage. Thats good in these times of disposable relationships 👍

I'm really surprised my wife hasn't decked me or worse! I know how annoying I can be. I make jokes about anything, and that must be really tedious, because I get fed up with myself lol
I have one job whilst I'm home, and that is to keep the house safe from the virus. Can't get anything from B&Q, as can only order online. So getting stuff done has been difficult. I've removed everything from the back garden though, including the shed!
When you off to Lanzarote? Hopefully that will go ahead. We were going to go to Scotland this year, and have a simple holiday. Now most will do that! I do have a great tan though lol
Cheers Bobby. My wife has bad lungs, and is struggling at the moment, but she'll be fine, as long as she doesn't get the virus. Stay safe out there :-)

I have. Under Pennock, Taylor and Lovell I would have agreed with you, ending the season early would have been a blessing. This season under Evans I have really enjoyed. I had trips to MK and Bolton planned and was really looking forward to them. I have really missed it.

Luckily the weather has been great during lockdown, so Saturdays have been BBQs in the garden and that's made it easier. Just imagine if this had started in November and not March !!!!

The one thing I am really looking forward to post lockdown is going to back to the Rainham End. I hope all the seats around me have the same people in them. I don't know many of them outside of football but I hope they all made it through.

I was thinking of looking for a new job as I've been where I am for 10 years, but i've definitely changed my mind on that. I am very lucky that my job is safe, I can do it at home (at my own pace!), and I seem to be appreciated by my colleagues. I do miss them though, and am looking forward to going back to the office.

Initially during covid I was very worried, not about catching, but how it would affect the economy and other people. I thought we would have civil disorder (a lot worse than we have now). I'm much less worried now, and to be honest, I have enjoyed it. I've seen much more of my teenage boys, and despite having 3 hours a day when I'm not commuting, I have never been bored.

I'm probably the perfect person for lockdown as I'm not really a social person. I don't do queueing though, but I know where to go (and when) to avoid them.

Stick with your job of you like it. I've been with my company for 38 years, and I'm really grateful they've allowed me to stay at home on full pay. I know many people who are struggling financially.
Family is the most important thing in life, and its great that you appreciate spending more time with them :-)
The economy will be fine for most of us. Stay in your safe job, and you'll be OK too. Next year you'll have more money to spend having a great time with the family, because you won't be spending a lot of the crap that we all used to buy!

Sticking with the marriage theme, it is my/our 50th anniversary in October, we have a cruise booked but I am not sure we will be going now. Any normal holiday you can just re-book, this one can't really be rescheduled for another year.
The important thing is we have both survived and can look forward to celebrating our diamond anniversary.

(y)

I'm really surprised my wife hasn't decked me or worse! I know how annoying I can be. I make jokes about anything, and that must be really tedious, because I get fed up with myself lol
I have one job whilst I'm home, and that is to keep the house safe from the virus. Can't get anything from B&Q, as can only order online. So getting stuff done has been difficult. I've removed everything from the back garden though, including the shed!
When you off to Lanzarote? Hopefully that will go ahead. We were going to go to Scotland this year, and have a simple holiday. Now most will do that! I do have a great tan though lol
Cheers Bobby. My wife has bad lungs, and is struggling at the moment, but she'll be fine, as long as she doesn't get the virus. Stay safe out there :-)
I remember you mentioning your wife's chest problems, definitely good to give the old Covid the swerve, I'm sure she appreciates all you're doing to keep her safe (even the jokes).
Are you in Kent or Essex? (I seem to remember you mentioning Leigh on sea) I'd be happy to collect from B&Q if you're this way or even Kent as long as its not down the "arse end" 😉. Same goes for anyone on here in my neck of the woods, if youre shielding and can wait for a rest day and need anything collected (Not just B&Q obviously) just drop me a private message. I've managed to get to our local B&Q this week, really well organised.

Lanzarote is booked for September, the hotel we always stay at has just announced that it has re-opened and (luckily) as a key worker, I'm exempt from the 14 day quarantine rule so all looks good at the moment, its the one thing I really look forward to every year and the only real reason I work overtime.

Stay safe mate.

I remember you mentioning your wife's chest problems, definitely good to give the old Covid the swerve, I'm sure she appreciates all you're doing to keep her safe (even the jokes).
Are you in Kent or Essex? (I seem to remember you mentioning Leigh on sea) I'd be happy to collect from B&Q if you're this way or even Kent as long as its not down the "arse end" 😉. Same goes for anyone on here in my neck of the woods, if youre shielding and can wait for a rest day and need anything collected (Not just B&Q obviously) just drop me a private message. I've managed to get to our local B&Q this week, really well organised.

Lanzarote is booked for September, the hotel we always stay at has just announced that it has re-opened and (luckily) as a key worker, I'm exempt from the 14 day quarantine rule so all looks good at the moment, its the one thing I really look forward to every year and the only real reason I work overtime.

Stay safe mate.

My wife has seven illnesses with her lungs, three on the governments list. She's just had a go at me for playing the new Bob Dylan album, so maybe not everything is great between us lol
But I just keep the house sanitised, and hope for the best.
We moved to Strood nearly six years ago, so Gillingham B&Q is our nearest. Cheers for the offer though :-)
You should be OK with Lanzarote, so be great to get out of the country. And even if you only get to go to Syria, it's still an improvement on Westcliff! 😜

[QUOTE=" I haven't missed the football either.[/QUOTE]

It took the first half of the Villa game on Wednesday night to remind me why I don't follow Premier League football anymore. I've missed Saturday afternoons either watching Gills (admittedly not much these days) or the goals going in on Sky Sports. I've missed cricket a lot more, especially as I'd been asked to come out of retirement and play again this season.

Given what countless families have gone through in the last few months, it seems churlish to say the wife and I have weathered it very well. We can both work at home just as well as in the office, and judging from the noises coming from our respective offices, this will continue for quite some time to come. We're both running 2-3 times a week and I've dropped about 3kgs. Alcohol comsumption has gone up a bit, so it's a win-win on all counts. We've also volunteered for a local SE16 group which has helped the less fortunate with things such as getting shopping, lifts to various places etc.

We were due to visit her family in Brisbane in August and bizarrely the return flight has been cancelled, but not the outbound as yet. We are both itching for the go-ahead and we'll book a cottage in the country somewhere as soon as we can.

As to the future, she's re-thinking her idea of going part-time and I'm going to negotiate an element of working from home, if/when what we knew as normal returns. Work can sometimes by all consuming, but it really isn't.

" I'm really surprised my wife hasn't decked me or worse! I know how annoying I can be. I make jokes about anything, and that must be really tedious, because I get fed up with myself "

Are you me LSB2? We too have got on pretty well though we've had a goodly period of one another's company before. Periodically I pick an argument for the sake of it but I'm better at knowing when to stop and when to say sorry when I don't.

I realise how much I like the area around my home, really like it and that's good. I am generally even more aware than before how very fortunate I am, materially, with friends and family and with health. I intend to remind myself of that post covid but we'll see. I don't miss the actual football but I do miss the people I meet on the way, at the ground and on the way back, the small conversations, the acknowledgements and the humour.

I am of course still cycling and nothing stops that but the wall.

Having retired seven and a half years ago, I have not seen many changes to my basic daily routine.

My hair has grown and is unruly but then it always has been scruffy. Have done without reflexology and osteopathy for my degenerating back.

I used to do two Zumba sessions a week but those are off so I have just been undertaking a power walk up the village each day, to include errands for various elderly neighbours, as my exercise.

The main thing this has interfered with is our intended move to East Anglia for a quieter life away from so many articulated lorries and housebuilding. We had a provisional valuation done on the bungalow this week and were advised to start testing the market in early September.

The only money I seem to have saved relates to Petrol as the general household bills still have to be met, and we are not eating less.

There are so many people going through so much that I just want to keep my head down and appreciate what I have got. The missus and I seem to be getting on fine but even though we have a large garden it has been a tad claustrophobic.

What a pleasant thread to read. (y):clap:

I was thinking exactly the same, nitram.

So refreshing to hear people talking about the important things in life like love, relationships, family, health and home. Great to hear that couples are enjoying their time together and that some people have saved money and are perhaps realising that before covid they sometimes consumed unnecessary things that weren't making them happy. Hopefully the money saved can be spent on something more useful or memorable.

Good luck and good health to everyone. Up the Gills!

I moved to North Devon last year and we count our blessings every day.
A short walk to the beach.
The Tarka Trail on our doorstep for cycling.
Exmoor up the road and loads of new places to discover.
Mrs Shotshy’s new enterprise doing very well until lockdown.
She reopens Tuesday and has received great local feedback.
The only downside is that the kids are still in Kent.
Thank God for WhatsApp and FaceTime 👍

" I'm really surprised my wife hasn't decked me or worse! I know how annoying I can be. I make jokes about anything, and that must be really tedious, because I get fed up with myself "

Are you me LSB2? We too have got on pretty well though we've had a goodly period of one another's company before. Periodically I pick an argument for the sake of it but I'm better at knowing when to stop and when to say sorry when I don't.

I realise how much I like the area around my home, really like it and that's good. I am generally even more aware than before how very fortunate I am, materially, with friends and family and with health. I intend to remind myself of that post covid but we'll see. I don't miss the actual football but I do miss the people I meet on the way, at the ground and on the way back, the small conversations, the acknowledgements and the humour.

I am of course still cycling and nothing stops that but the wall.

I don't deliberately wind my wife up, it's a natural ability lol I am not one for arguments, and neither is my wife, so that helps. We even manage to talk politics without arguing, even though we have different opinions. I should get her to join this board lol
I think a lot of people have realised how important their family and friends are to them, and hopefully people will remember that when they get to see them again.
We've even realised how lovely nature is, just sitting in the garden. Can't wait to get out into the countryside again :-)