Positives & Negatives - Arsenal 3-2 Swansea City | Vital Football

Positives & Negatives - Arsenal 3-2 Swansea City

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
A look at some of the positives and negatives to take from Saturday`s 3-2 defeat at Arsenal as the Gunners went joint top of the Premier League table with a sixth consecutive victory

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?464506">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

The negatives outweighed the positives. The defence is a big problem that the positives won't help us get out of. Defence looked like one of a seriously relegation threatened team, you just can't make those sorts of errors regardless of the opposition.

swans87 - 17/10/2016 17:55

The negatives outweighed the positives. The defence is a big problem that the positives won't help us get out of. Defence looked like one of a seriously relegation threatened team, you just can't make those sorts of errors regardless of the opposition.

The errors were shocking, but Bradley can't keep going on with Fernandez, Amat also looked awful alongside him. Taylor just couldn't get involved but defensively wasn't as bad as the two in the centre. There's no understanding between FF and Amat, but VDH and Amat were a more competitive unit. I'd be far more confident if them two started. We should have a striker starting Saturday as well, so one of the midfielders gets taken out.

Passing to the left side of the pitch was like trying to pass the ball into the center of a black hole. Routs' passing accuracy was 58.6% with only one key pass, while Taylor's was 70% with no key passes. None of his crosses found their mark either.

We continued to see that lack of attacking balance I've been going on about. We attacked down the right 55% of the time, down the middle 23% of the time, and down the left 22% of the time. When Guidolin was in charge, we saw the same sort of numbers but it was due to playing one winger formations or playing Siggy out of position out wide. This time, Bradley did play with two natural wide men. Taylor and Routledge just could do absolutely nothing in attack on the left flank.

We need Jeff to be healthy again.

This may be of interest

http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=464828

Shows average positions, together with player movement, passing influence and passing patterns.

Taylor and Routledge just not involved.

KevinE - 18/10/2016 21:29

This may be of interest

Shows average positions, together with player movement, passing influence and passing patterns.

I'm not at all surprised by that unfortunately. Neither Taylor or Routledge had any real attacking influence on the game. Taylor managed 30 passes in the same time Naughton notched 74. That say it all really.

Excellent article by the way.

MithrandirSwan - 18/10/2016 21:46

This may be of interest

I'm not at all surprised by that unfortunately. Neither Taylor or Routledge had any real attacking influence on the game. Taylor managed 30 passes in the same time Naughton notched 74. That say it all really.

Thanks, and Rangel managed more successful passes in 9-10 mins than Taylor did in 90 minutes. A stat I've had to mention in 2 separate articles now because it's just ridiculous.

KevinE - 18/10/2016 15:51

MithrandirSwan - 18/10/2016 21:46

This may be of interest

Thanks, and Rangel managed more successful passes in 9-10 mins than Taylor did in 90 minutes. A stat I've had to mention in 2 separate articles now because it's just ridiculous.

Excellent stuff, as always, Kevin! It is really amazing. We talked about this on the pod, but it's as if the center backs look over to the left side to pass, see Taylor and Routledge, and go, "Nope!" And then pass right. From the Liverpool game to the Arsenal game, the contrast is quite stark with regard to LB touches.

I liked the average positions images, but these go a lot further. I've been looking at a few others that are posted on twitter and it's interesting to see how the top teams look. Much bigger circles for players, proper balance, a central figure in the middle of the system and many dark arrows to show regular passes all over the pitch.