Posh | Vital Football

Posh

bristolimp

Vital Champions League
I see the posh have sold another player on to a higher league.

I don’t think they expect any of there better players to stay at London road for long.

It appears they more more then embraced it it seems their business model. Must be annoying for the fans as it probably explains the yo yo effect of their league position with any successful just be reflected on the summer sale price!

I hope we have a sell on clause on the deal with Woodyard as I expect him to be for sale this time next year!

I see the posh have sold another player on to a higher league.

I don’t think they expect any of there better players to stay at London road for long.

It appears they more more then embraced it it seems their business model. Must be annoying for the fans as it probably explains the yo yo effect of their league position with any successful just be reflected on the summer sale price!

I hope we have a sell on clause on the deal with Woodyard as I expect him to be for sale this time next year!

Annoying for the fans but the reality is this policy is a major attraction to players coming in as posh have one of the best reputations for developing players in the lower league, a stepping stone for talent which allows them to yo yo between championship and league 1, which let's face it is not a bad place to be, considerably better than we've managed in recent history.

Their model is one which appears to make the club self-financing, I certainly thought so until I bothered to look at the club's accounts.

It has had some success but it's purely down to scouting and that is hit and miss but Barry Fry has far more success with that than most.

The thing is, Peterborough made huge sales profits in 2012 and 2014 that turned big operating losses into large profits. Since then they lost 1.9 million in 2015, 190k in 2016 and 1.2 million in 2017.

When operating costs continually outstrip income by a long way (as they do with all football clubs) there's always going to be enormous pressure to find someone to sell.

In 2007 when MacAnthony took over, I think, the club had retained losses of 6.5 million. As of 2017 retained losses are 11.2 million.

So in those 10 years a combined loss of 4.7 million has been made despite all those very impressive player sales. To put it another way, they've effectively lost over £9000 every week for 10 years.

Rumoured to be about to sell Marriott for 6m,which will considerably reduce that debt. At the end of the day, most lower league clubs who don't have a Vince Dale are only doing a similar thing but on a lesser scale, we're all selling clubs.

Rumoured to be about to sell Marriott for 6m,which will considerably reduce that debt. At the end of the day, most lower league clubs who don't have a Vince Dale are only doing a similar thing but on a lesser scale, we're all selling clubs.

Yes, but their operating losses have been around £3.5-4.0 million per season - difficult to tell after 2015 as they stopped publishing their P&L account - so as a business without player sales, they lose around £70,000 per week.

Unfortunately Football has been the same through all of it's history. The problem has and will always remain that football clubs pay their players more money than they can afford!

That will never change because clubs are always competing with each other for players.