Posh tomorrow. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Posh tomorrow.

I like how he says things exactly how it is, and I respect it a lot, and I am grateful that he stepped up to help us in our time of need, but he is not good enough for us long term, and I would hope when we get new owners we get a manager for the long term. I just don't think he is good enough, considering his track record. Also, I felt our young players have played well enough to start, but as soon as he signed some of his mates from past clubs, they have been left out to dry. We got results when the younger lads did play. Personally, these younger players are just better players and I see it more beneficial to us long term, both results-wise and financially that they are given the chance and starts they earned.

I tend to agree about the younger players, but he's only been with us for a few weeks. Bringing on Merrie and Aasgaard did show some commitment to youth. A few touches from Aasgaard showed some quality.

We simply can't play the youngsters all over the pitch.
Yes one or two maybe, but games were catching up with them already as they came to terms with playing 1st team football.
Not bringing in experience would have destroyed their confidence and put their progress back.
We had to play them in the first couple of games or so, but equally we need some experience in this league.
Not all of the new recruits (or the few remaining players we had) have been in any kind of form, but we can't throw the young players in en-masse for any length of time. Look at Bolton last year for an example of having to do that. Using them as subs or playing one or two is the only way we or they can progress.

It's horrible to watch really and such a bitter pill to swallow when you consider the side we were watching just three months ago.

Fans are losing interest and are becoming past the point of caring and that is the biggest damage currently being caused by the situation. Because if we survive as a club and things get back to normal in terms of fans allowed into stadiums, I suspect this whole nightmare will have cost us thousands of paying fans. I honestly see us going to back to the days of Springfield Park attendance numbers. People won't come back, they won't have the motivation, only apathy. The belief, the fight, the spirit has been beaten out of all of us. It just doesn't feel like our club.

I can't express enough just how huge a job any new owners have on their hands to turn this club around on and off the pitch.
I do agree but it might be better to avoid posts like this until we have new owners in place. Wouldn't want the takeover to go belly up.

I share your concerns C_Latic, I know a couple of lads who have been life long season ticket holders and the passion and interest has just gone. Really hope it returns for them once we can attend matches again but I'm doubtful.
Dread to think what season ticket numbers will be like once the new normality returns and I hope the new owner is fully aware of this and not another naive and clueless numpty looking for a quick return on an investment and ready to bail out when it doesn't materialise within 18 months.

At the moment I'm not missing it that much, but I know full well that once we are allowed back in the grounds it will kick back in straight away, especially if we are in a position where the accompanying social aspects (i.e a few pints round town) are also on the agenda.

We simply can't play the youngsters all over the pitch.
Yes one or two maybe, but games were catching up with them already as they came to terms with playing 1st team football.
Not bringing in experience would have destroyed their confidence and put their progress back.
We had to play them in the first couple of games or so, but equally we need some experience in this league.
Not all of the new recruits (or the few remaining players we had) have been in any kind of form, but we can't throw the young players in en-masse for any length of time. Look at Bolton last year for an example of having to do that. Using them as subs or playing one or two is the only way we or they can progress.

We need a team of good strong experienced players,
then we can introduce these youngsters a couple at a time
to give them first match experience.

I share your concerns C_Latic, I know a couple of lads who have been life long season ticket holders and the passion and interest has just gone. Really hope it returns for them once we can attend matches again but I'm doubtful.
Dread to think what season ticket numbers will be like once the new normality returns and I hope the new owner is fully aware of this and not another naive and clueless numpty looking for a quick return on an investment and ready to bail out when it doesn't materialise within 18 months.

I know what you mean, fans i know who watched us play
'Netherfield'=Kendal Town, have given up on us, due to
all the 'off the field' disasters and the club being torn apart
after years of building up the club.

A lot of 'fickle' fans will only watch a team that is winning on
a regular basis and this is what we have to do, to get back
the fans into the Stadium, when they allow fans back.

We seem really averse / unable to do the simple things. Always trying to solve a Rubiks cube when we can just go sideways, create space, go again.

Bill Shankly:

''Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple''

Reactions: GSM
TBH I thought we were quite competitive last night and apart from the error in defence should have had a point.

This is just the way the start to last season went, players brought in still finding their feet, the remaining squad players looking to regain form and adjust to playing with new faces, the manager trying players in different positions to find a balance. All this will take time but having seen us play a number of the teams that are tipped to be in the mix for promotion and play offs, I still think we have little to fear in this division.

I thought Palmer looked a decent player and given his lack of match fitness had an impact in midfield alongside Evans and gave us some stability and a little more penetration.

I am still not convinced with Viv Solomon Ottabor. He looks to be a lightweight version of Jamal Lowe, with poor control and easily knocked off the ball. They did double up on him last night and gave him little room to show his talent but I think he lost confidence and went into his shell as the match went on. I couldn't understand why him and Kal didn't switch wings to give him a different challenge, but I wonder if that was a management problem.

The error leading to the goal was poor by both Tilt and James. Tilt misread the ball and got under it but James failed to see the danger and allowed the forward to get between him and Tilt, bring the ball down and slam it home. James was in a position to see the player and should have moved to cover but didn't. I am sure that this was due to the lack of understanding as they haven't played together much and will be sorted out as the games go by.

Jamie Jones had a good game and made two or three decent saves to keep the score down.

We need time to settle the squad and find a balance but the eleven on the pitch last night should be good enough to keep us in the hunt, the problem lies with squad depth should any of them get injured or suspended. The inexperience that we have on the bench is worrying, I want to see the younger players getting experience and chances at this level but I think we still need one or two older heads to be available.

I can't fault Aasgaard or Merrie when they came on, and both should be getting their chance, but they are young and inexperienced and hardly game changers at present. I will feel more at ease with players like Roberts coming on when we need someone to find an opening and provide that killer pass we were lacking last night whereas if we are looking for an injection of pace then the younger guys should be used. On reflection I think we need a blend of both youth and experience both on the bench and on the pitch.

Hopefully when the paperwork is completed and the EFL pass the new owners fit for purpose we will be able to bolster the squad with one or two of the many players out of contract and still looking for clubs.

I am still hopeful we can get into mid table safety with the players we have but they will need time and support to gel and get their games together. We have to understand this and give them this time.

Onwards to Saturday and another game. We are Wigan, we beat the odds.

Fans are losing interest and are becoming past the point of caring and that is the biggest damage currently being caused by the situation. Because if we survive as a club and things get back to normal in terms of fans allowed into stadiums, I suspect this whole nightmare will have cost us thousands of paying fans. I honestly see us going to back to the days of Springfield Park attendance numbers. People won't come back, they won't have the motivation, only apathy. The belief, the fight, the spirit has been beaten out of all of us. It just doesn't feel like our club.

Interesting post as I find myself one of those apathetic at present.

Basically we’ve had the life kicked out of us and it’s a perfect storm with Covid too. We went from shite to rather good since the turn of the year. However even admin couldn’t dent the form and I think we all felt immense pride at how the team and manager represented this club. Bar really Naismith they’ve all gone and we were unfairly relegated. We’ve now a team full of odds and ends and a journeyman manager. Throw in the ownership uncertainty and the fact we can’t even attend means I’m struggling to find a connection and my interest is low. Can’t even get angry or upset at continued defeats. In fact I haven’t even watched the last two and couldn’t even be arsed following the score, let alone commenting on it.

I enjoy going to football to support my club club and everything it encompasses such as to the pub beforehand to catch up with mates/family. I enjoy watching football on tv, be that pl, efl etc. What I’m struggle to enjoy is supporting my team by watching it purely on TV. I don’t know how these armchair glory hunters do it as it’s two separate concepts for me as it’s so disconnected.

We are in a state of limbo on and off the pitch. Get this deal over the line, move out some of the journeymen in January, bring in one or two, stave off relegation and get life back to normality and I’m sure I’ll feel different. Build a team to compete next season and hopefully the supporter churn won’t be as great as what you (and to a degree I) fear it maybe.

Bill Shankly:

''Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple''

Exactly - stop all this hoofing of the ball and play intelligent controlled football from the back through midfield to the forwards !

Let’s have a little less of our full backs continuously being up ahead of the midfield !

Team full of free transfers and out of contract players. Cheap as chips. Fans need to understand we are now shopping in the same shops as Rochdale and Burton. Be a miracle if we stop up. But we have a club.

We also have a top class academy and our youth are the future of this club.

Despite the very negative comments from some people on this forum, some of these lads have great potential and given the right opportunity will go on to achieve a lot more than some of these amateur armchair managers think possible !.

We of course need experience but I recon true young talent will always trump an experienced plodder !. If we can nurture our young talent and play them on a regular basis with experienced (decent) players, then all is not lost !

Team full of free transfers and out of contract players. Cheap as chips. Fans need to understand we are now shopping in the same shops as Rochdale and Burton. Be a miracle if we stop up. But we have a club.

I dont want to go back to Div 4 at my age John Ive tasted the fruits of the top table and I like it lol I 've attained to driving a nice BMW I dont wish to go back to a fiesta no disrespect ment

Interesting post as I find myself one of those apathetic at present.

Basically we’ve had the life kicked out of us and it’s a perfect storm with Covid too. We went from shite to rather good since the turn of the year. However even admin couldn’t dent the form and I think we all felt immense pride at how the team and manager represented this club. Bar really Naismith they’ve all gone and we were unfairly relegated. We’ve now a team full of odds and ends and a journeyman manager. Throw in the ownership uncertainty and the fact we can’t even attend means I’m struggling to find a connection and my interest is low. Can’t even get angry or upset at continued defeats. In fact I haven’t even watched the last two and couldn’t even be arsed following the score, let alone commenting on it.

I enjoy going to football to support my club club and everything it encompasses such as to the pub beforehand to catch up with mates/family. I enjoy watching football on tv, be that pl, efl etc. What I’m struggle to enjoy is supporting my team by watching it purely on TV. I don’t know how these armchair glory hunters do it as it’s two separate concepts for me as it’s so disconnected.

We are in a state of limbo on and off the pitch. Get this deal over the line, move out some of the journeymen in January, bring in one or two, stave off relegation and get life back to normality and I’m sure I’ll feel different. Build a team to compete next season and hopefully the supporter churn won’t be as great as what you (and to a degree I) fear it maybe.

I've watched every game since lockdown. It's been a surreal experience. Not actually being there is one thing, and watching the rise and fall of the team has been a roller coaster. I feel a sense of loyalty watching on Latics player and, truth be told, I've watched the team more than I would have in normal circumstances. As a result, I feel that I have a good understanding of the transition from the Championship games, which were of a significantly higher standard than the League 1 games, which have fluctuated between dire and fairly exciting. I can't say that I'm enjoying the virtual experience, especially with no fans, but I will continue to stump up £10 in the hope that we will be back on track again....soon!