Port Value EFL Cup | Page 2 | Vital Football

Port Value EFL Cup

So it wasn't unbelievably harsh. Arguably him touching the ball made the lad onside when he ran onto it. I wouldn't say so but you know what these offside rules are like.
Blaming him for the goal was harsh, yes. It shouldn't have stood. Simple.

Their bloke was offside from the through ball. He was in an offside position when Johnson played the ball. He then benefitted from being in that offside position. No argument about it.

Blaming him for the goal was harsh, yes. It shouldn't have stood. Simple.

Their bloke was offside from the through ball. He was in an offside position when Johnson played the ball. He then benefitted from being in that offside position. No argument about it.

Johnson didn't know if Robinson was in an offside position or not so tried to clear the danager and got it badly wrong.

It should have been a simple clearance for a pro footballer, if he does it right the linesman's flag doesn't matter - unforced error is on the player who made it. Johnson will blame himself and unfortunately he has to own that one.

Johnson didn't know if Robinson was in an offside position or not so tried to clear the danager and got it badly wrong.

It should have been a simple clearance for a pro footballer, if he does it right the linesman's flag doesn't matter - unforced error is on the player who made it. Johnson will blame himself and unfortunately he has to own that one.

I think we're both agreed that Johnson made a mistake KDZ. It's just that I'm not blaming him for the goal, as it shouldn't have stood.

John Sheridan ''Kids will learn more from defeat than victories''

The trouble with that theory John, is too many defeats can
destroy the confidence of these young lads,
it's not their fault that the squad is not strong enough.

Just seen the goal and under new regs it was legitimate. He made a mistake and will hopefully learn from it.

How does that work then?

Their mon passes ball ....... his target is offside .........our mon tries to intercept, but makes a balls of it .......... ball goes to their mon (who's now considered onside) who then scores.

What a load of bollox.

So, if Johnson hadn't made the effort, and had left it alone, how was he to know if the linesman was going to flag or not.

Truly ........ a load of bollox.

How does that work then?

Their mon passes ball ....... his target is offside .........our mon tries to intercept, but makes a balls of it .......... ball goes to their mon (who's now considered onside) who then scores.

What a load of bollox.

So, if Johnson hadn't made the effort, and had left it alone, how was he to know if the linesman was going to flag or not.

May be bollox but "thems the rules"

How does that work then?

What a load of bollox.

Because he deliberately plays the ball it null and voids the offside. Agree it’s bollocks, just like the new handball law which is utter nonsense.

Not gonna lie, I'm annoyed at that and not because I didn't check the odds and know that Vale were 3/1 on before kickoff. Was clear we'd lose the moment the team news came out, we played the kids whilst they fielded the likes of Tom Pope and Theo Robinson.

I'm annoyed because I wanted us to have a run at this competition and you'd have expected us with a first team out to get the job done tonight and then play the kids vs Tranmere. Now, I can't see us going through at all. Tranmere will field the likes of James Vaughan, who will rip Obi and co a new one.

To John Sheridan:

You gain confidence when you win, and keep winning.
You lose confidence, when you keep losing games.

Winning can become a habit. Unfortunately, so can losing.

If we stay in L1 this season, it will be a massive bonus to
build on, hopefully we can get more experienced players,
to let the kids learn form hardened professionals to take the
pressure off them and let them enjoy the game better.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I'm annoyed at that and not because I didn't check the odds and know that Vale were 3/1 on before kickoff. Was clear we'd lose the moment the team news came out, we played the kids whilst they fielded the likes of Tom Pope and Theo Robinson.

I'm annoyed because I wanted us to have a run at this competition and you'd have expected us with a first team out to get the job done tonight and then play the kids vs Tranmere. Now, I can't see us going through at all. Tranmere will field the likes of James Vaughan, who will rip Obi and co a new one.

To be fair Port Vale played more reserves than we did. They made 8 changes to the first team while we only made 5, if we really wanted to play the kids we could've had the 3 or 4 young lads on the bench start and rest even more of the senior players. I don't think we put a team out there to lose - we've only got a small handful of genuinely reliable players and if the likes of Naismith, Ostabor and Garner get injured we are utterly sunk so i wouldn't have risked them for this game. In fact i'd have not had Ostabor on the bench or Pearce on either to protect them.

Sheridan is still getting to know the players so he needs to see the likes of Crankshaw, Jolley, Obi to see if they are up to it and this was a better option that putting them in the deep end at a league game and maybe costing us points. So it was still useful for him. What happened last night help will inform his decisions for the next league game - for example there is no way Jolley is strong enough to lead the line on his own, Pearce is better an attacking full back than winger and Naismith as centre back is probably necessary to help Johnson.

I have no issue with the team picked, but was disapointed with many aspects of the performance. I'm just glad those types of mistakes being made last night mean they are less likely to happen in a league game. This season with our wafer thin squad extra games are probably the last thing we need so i am ok with going out if we lose to Tranmere, but you never know we may get a result and go through there.

I am certainly not going to criticise Sheridan for playing the young lads last night given the run of fixtures we have coming up. The more experienced players needed to be rested to protect them from injury and the young lads needed game time to gain the experience needed to replace them when needed.

There were some errors made but when you consider the difference in experience and game time between the teams it is not surprising. I am sure KDZ will concede that it is better that Johnson made that mistake last night rather than on Saturday against league opposition and the same goes for the other academy lads. We need to remember that the oldest player we had on the pitch was Gardener at 30 and the rest were in their teens and twenties. Although PV put out a much changed line up they were experienced league players with a lot of games in the locker.

Simply put it was men against boys and the experience told. Sheridan said they will have gained more from the loss and I agree, you learn from your mistakes. There were some positives to take from the game, which I admit wasn't a spectacle, but we move on and take those positives to Crewe this weekend and look to push on in the league when we will be back to "full strength" and the experienced players will help to carry the youth.

Up the Tic's

Due to circumstances, we are over reliant on young players,
if our very few more experienced players get injured,
we are really going to struggle.

The majority of clubs 'blood' their younger players one or two at a time in certain matches for the last 10 to 15 minutes,
at present we are not able to do this.

Hopefully our new owner/owners will give the manager more funds to bolster our squad with more experienced players.