Port Value EFL Cup | Vital Football

Port Value EFL Cup

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
Losing 2-0 at half time, 2 bad individual errors from Merrie and Johnson for each goal, could be losing by more, Port Vale hit the bar and missed another couple of great chances.

Not a great performance, looking lightweight going forward and no bite in centre mid. Lacking movement and struggling to track their runners. Garner, Naismith and Ostabor all rested and the difference the 3 of them make is massive. It's not so much all the young lads look hopeless but think many of them need some help from the senior pros and there aren't many of them in the side and the ones that are not at the best.

5 changes for us, 8 changes from Port Vale, so both sides fielding weakened teams.

Evans

James
Johnson
Obi
Merrie

Perry
Gardner

Crankshaw
Evans
Pearce

Jolley

Not quite working out - needed a bit more experience in the side. There have been a couple of howlers, but also some promise

Unbelievably harsh there toward Johnson KDZ.

He was offside when the ball was put through, so regardless of Johnson's poor touch, he should have been flagged.

We've played some good stuff at times......but with no cutting edge.

As for turning off Formby ......what the hell did you expect?

Not surprising looking at the lineup.

Precious little first team experience in there. Boys against men.

That said, given our situation, I can't say I'm bothered. With such a thin squad to start with, last thing we need is more games. We're still in survival mode, and fewer games means less likelihood of injury and fatigue to the first eleven.

Staying in the safe part of the league table is our one and only priority right now, so cup games were always going to be very low priority.

To be honest I expected much better than this after the past 4 performances. I can’t excuse lack of passion, fight and will to succeed. That has just not been evident tonight.

Absolutely no interest in the game and same as the League Cup they should have scrapped both this season due to the current situation.

3-1 Pearce free kick, we've upped the tempo, pressing harder and playing much better. Looking threatening after Otabor came on.

Bit like against Doncaster where we seemed to noticably up a game mid second half.

To be honest I expected much better than this after the past 4 performances. I can’t excuse lack of passion, fight and will to succeed. That has just not been evident tonight.
It's a different team.

200 senior appearances between 9 of them !.........and probably less than 20 between 6 of those.

Unbelievably harsh there toward Johnson KDZ.

He was offside when the ball was put through, so regardless of Johnson's poor touch, he should have been flagged.

We've played some good stuff at times......but with no cutting edge.

As for turning off Formby ......what the hell did you expect?

Got to disagree Moonay, it was a very poor mistake for a centre back to make regardless of if the flag should or shouldn't have gone up. He didnt know if he was on or off and if he delt with it properly it wouldn't have mattered.

Got to disagree Moonay, it was a very poor mistake for a centre back to make regardless of if the flag should or shouldn't have gone up. He didnt know if he was on or off and if he delt with it properly it wouldn't have mattered.
You're right..... it was a poor mistake .......but it shouldn't have led to a goal.

The bloke was offside. It should have stayed one nil.

Last 15 mins or so was quite good, started pressing, upped the tempo and got some movement going to look threatening - unlucky not to have scored at least 1 goal. Really disapointing that they only seemed to find the urgency and intensity after the game had gone.

Last couple of games have followed a similar pattern but difference was Port Vale punished us when they were on top while Doncaster didn't so the second half rally wasn't enough tonight while it got us the win on Saturday. We have to be careful to not let happen a third time against Crewe and show the intensity from the start. But even as poor as the first half way if we hadn't made 3 terrible defensive lapses we may have still had a chance to win that despite the poor first half.

Tonight was an example of how wafer thin the squad is and how the kids aren't ready to carry the team and are relying on the senior players to carry the burned. The 3 spaces in the squad we have for new players need to be used very wisely before deadline day.

You're right..... it was a poor mistake .......but it shouldn't have led to a goal.

The bloke was offside. It should have stayed one nil.

So it wasn't unbelievably harsh. Arguably him touching the ball made the lad onside when he ran onto it. I wouldn't say so but you know what these offside rules are like.