Poppy Fascism? | Vital Football

Poppy Fascism?

CDX_EIRE

Vital Football Legend
This shit again, got to love it really... Guess freedom to do what you want doesnt exist in the UK either heh

McClean received death threats last year after opting to wear an unmarked shirt for Sunderland in the run-up to Remembrance Day. But Coyle revealed he sustained a dead leg in training and had simply missed out due to injury.

He said: “The only reason James McClean didn’t play today because he was injured, it’s as simple as that. He would certainly have been involved if he was fit. I’m actually embarrassed that I’m getting asked that question in this day and age.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/wigans-james-mcclean-not-dropped-for-poppy-snub-says-owen-coyle-8931613.html

I forgot about that, and unfortunately I think most other fans have, too. He's a disgrace just because he is Irish he isn't going to respect the thousands (millions?) of soldiers that died not only for the protection of Britain but for the whole of Europe and the rest of the world?

Anyway it seems that he was actually injured, and as I didn't use this site a year ago I thought I'd rant about it now

Wurzel - 11/11/2013 07:38

What has this to do with poppy wearing? He was injured.

Supposedly he received dogs abuse and death threats again, Celtic also got shit for it...

180+ kids killed in the North by British forces many of which were in Derry... Think they'd just get on with it and accept he is free to do as he pleases...

I think people should be free to wear (or not wear) a poppy. When you think about it, many of those who gave their lives did so mostly in the cause of freedom. I'm not sure if young McClean mouthed off at the time. If he did, he'd probably have been better keeping his trap shut.

I'm a big believer in personal freedom but I do wonder what objectors to Armitice day think it's all about. It really isn't, or at least should not be about national pride or any form of nationalism, nor is it about the British military. It is purely to remember those who sacrificed their lives to protect freedom.

I don't understand the hostile attitudes, even from those who lost young family members in the conflict in NI but to suggest that they should support the commemoration, as if there is almost no choice in the matter, is extremely ironic. They are afforded this freedom by the very people we are commemorating. To remove this feedom would be an insult to the memory of those who fought and died for it.........even the somewhat ill advised freedom to protest about it.

I think honouring the fallen who give there lives for us all and do an amazing job should be at the very least honoured by a symbol of appreciation tbh, Mclean i think is wrong but im one of them its up to you what you wanna do same as me but i do not like it one bit tbh

I always wear a poppy and I am proud of it. But if someone doesn't want to, for whatever reason then he or she should be able to do so.

Millions died to give him that right, it's his right not to wear one if he wishes not, simple as that.

It's like when some say that people should be forced to vote! WTF is that all about? We live in free society and if people choose not to vote then that is their right!

thefacehead - 11/11/2013 17:47

I always wear a poppy and I am proud of it. But if someone doesn't want to, for whatever reason then he or she should be able to do so.

Millions died to give him that right, it's his right not to wear one if he wishes not, simple as that.

It's like when some say that people should be forced to vote! WTF is that all about? We live in free society and if people choose not to vote then that is their right!

If you choose not to partake of demoracy you really forfeit the right to complain at decisions made in that democracy. That is why everyone should vote. Apathy is not a political viewpoint and if you don't want to vote for anyone then spoil the ballot, at least you have still participated. Just my opinion mind.

Villan Of The North - 11/11/2013 16:52

If you choose not to partake of demoracy you really forfeit the right to complain at decisions made in that democracy. That is why everyone should vote. Apathy is not a political viewpoint and if you don't want to vote for anyone then spoil the ballot, at least you have still participated. Just my opinion mind.

Personally I do vote, but I don't feel I have more right to criticise people just because I vote and they don't. If you pay your taxes and contribute to the country then you are entitled to moan about how it's run because your paying for it!

I get more pissed off with people like Ben Elton, who pisses off because he didn't like the country, fair enough, but he has no right to run it down now he's not here!

Poppy i bet is a lovely woman, making out poppy is a fascist whoever she is leave her a bloody lone will ya!

I usually don't wear a poppy, usually I just forget, but the difference is that McClean last year made the active decision to not wear it as some sort of protest. I get that some Irish people hate Brits for fair reasons to be honest, but this isn't about Britain, its about respecting those who died giving their lives for the freedom of not only Britain but most of Europe and other parts of the world, too. This isn't some celebration of the British military, this isn't a national holiday, its about respect and remembering the worst 2 periods of modern history and how people risked their lives to end it.

I don't think that he should have been allowed to not wear a poppy, I don't think being told to wear it is a violation of his freedom, but instead its allowed him to turn an emotional and sensitive issue (which has nothing to do with Britain-Ireland relations) of those who have given their lives for the greater good of the entire world into a political protest against the UK.

david-avfc - 11/11/2013 17:15

I usually don't wear a poppy, usually I just forget, but the difference is that McClean last year made the active decision to not wear it as some sort of protest. I get that some Irish people hate Brits for fair reasons to be honest, but this isn't about Britain, its about respecting those who died giving their lives for the freedom of not only Britain but most of Europe and other parts of the world, too. This isn't some celebration of the British military, this isn't a national holiday, its about respect and remembering the worst 2 periods of modern history and how people risked their lives to end it.

I don't think that he should have been allowed to not wear a poppy, I don't think being told to wear it is a violation of his freedom, but instead its allowed him to turn an emotional and sensitive issue (which has nothing to do with Britain-Ireland relations) of those who have given their lives for the greater good of the entire world into a political protest against the UK.

I agree with your sentiments but you can't tell people what the can and can't do in those circumstances.

He should just have left to not wear one and then he would have looked a bell end when he came out to say his pathetic little story of why he wouldn't wear one. I am dead against forcing people to do things, it's the exact actions people gave their lives to stop happening and that's why I wear one!

Villan Of The North - 11/11/2013 16:52

No you don't that is nonsense. I have a democratic right not to vote if I feel the candidates are trash.

As for this he was injured so why try and make an argument out of it?

If he dosnt want to wear a poppy, then its up to him...The people that fought and died in the wars gave him that liberty. I would just suggest though, that he keeps it to himself as not to look a disrespectful and selfish twat.

Wurzel - 11/11/2013 18:35

I have a democratic right not to vote if I feel the candidates are trash.

In that situation, I would spoil my vote. I might even write something on the ballot paper to the effect that the choice of candidates left me with no option but to vote for none of them.
I just think that a spoiled vote is better than not voting.
I think there is a fair chance that I'll end up doing this next time round as I am utterly unimpressed with what's on offer at the moment.

Green Tea - 11/11/2013 20:14

If he dosnt want to wear a poppy, then its up to him...The people that fought and died in the wars gave him that liberty. I would just suggest though, that he keeps it to himself as not to look a disrespectful and selfish twat.

Agree. The poppy isn't a political symbol and is not representative of the British Army. It represents plenty of nationalities (including Irish) who didn't make it back and therefore being respectful is more important than making a statement.

I do get annoyed by the presumption that you should wear a poppy. I served, and some people I know didn't make it. I rarely wear a poppy, simply because it gets ruined in about 5 minutes, and I constantly deal with people telling me I should. I stop short of saying the £250 I pay a year to the Royal British Legion is a tad more than someone spending a quid on a poppy once a year. I suppose it would be churlish...

BBJ - 11/11/2013 20:25

In that situation, I would spoil my vote. I might even write something on the ballot paper to the effect that the choice of candidates left me with no option but to vote for none of them.
I think there is a fair chance that I'll end up doing this next time round as I am utterly unimpressed with what's on offer at the moment.

Yup. Same bbj. I guess those not voting are also expressing their apathy, but I would much rather, personally, a spoilt 'vote' as an expression.

The Fear - 11/11/2013 20:55

BBJ - 11/11/2013 20:25

Yup. Same bbj. I guess those not voting are also expressing their apathy, but I would much rather, personally, a spoilt 'vote' as an expression.

Spoiling a paper does nothing it isn't a non of the above option. It is a secret ballot, and as such I am entitled to not vote just as much as to vote. Anyway there are many reasons why people cannot vote, not just apathy. Under our present system it does not deny people from having an opinion, just ask Russell Brand:-)