Pompey (H) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Pompey (H)

No Max Power

Latics: Amos; Darikwa (Capt), Whatmough, Watts, Pearce; Naylor, Cousins; Lang, Keane, Jones; Wyke

Subs: Jones (GK), Bayliss, Edwards, Aasgaard, McClean, Massey, Humphrys

Portsmouth: Bazanu, Brown, Robertson (Capt), Williams, Tunnicliffe, Marquis, Harness, Curtis, Freeman, Raggett, Morrell

Subs: Bass, Ahadme, Ogilvie, Hackett-Fairchild, Hirst, Thompson, Jacobs

That is an outstanding three points, it really is. I thought they were the best team we’ve played so far. Really is the sign of a good side when we can get three points from a game like that without really dominating. McClean changed the game. Also, whilst he made a mistake for Wycombe’s goal, Kell Watts is looking like a very good signing indeed and any centre-back we sign between now and Tuesday will not walk straight into this side.

Well done Leam as well, good substitutions. Lang had a stinker, but again that’s why you have to keep him on for 90 mins, because he always has a goal or a big moment in him.

Considering that was the first goal they have conceded this season, we did very well. A bit disjointed and allowed them far too much of the ball in the first half but much improved second half.
I got the impression we were playing not to loose today.
God job I am not the Manager as myself and the guy next to me were calling for Lang to be replaced by Massey 10 minutes before the goal !!

Another very poor referee yet again though.
All defence had a good game plus Kean was his usual nuisance self, but bringing on McClean made the required difference against a tiring Pompey defence

Last edited:
Tell you what, that was a poor performance, especially the first half, but last season we would have lot that 4-0 and I always see teams that eventually go up to pick up wins in those types of games and we did, do think we felt a little leggy with the number of games in quick succession and the team looking to gel.

Can give chance to more of the youth and Fringe lads for wolves u21 Tuesday and the. Have a well deserve rest.

Considering we only played really strong aides for our first 5 games, the team exceeded expectations

Up the tics!

Like everyone else I thought it was our worse display so far
We were way off the pace for 60mins and Pompey looked very good up to the box but our central defenders were colossal what a signing Whatmough is.
I agree Jimmy Mac caused them all sorts of problems and his pass up the line to Pierce was sublime and Landy who had a stinker just buried it¹

I am concerned about this continual passing back then just lumping it up Cook style instead of playing through midfield.We are not trying to utilize Charlie Wyke at all and he might as well sit next to me in the West Stand. Like I said last week we desperately need a good playmaker maybe the lad Bayliss will show what he can do there

Finally I found Leam's substitutions stange Why take a defender off with 4mins left and put the 3rd winger of the game out left. 3 great points today but it was a real struggle .

Like everyone else I thought it was our worse display so far
We were way off the pace for 60mins and Pompey looked very good up to the box but our central defenders were colossal what a signing Whatmough is.
I agree Jimmy Mac caused them all sorts of problems and his pass up the line to Pierce was sublime and Landy who had a stinker just buried it¹

I am concerned about this continual passing back then just lumping it up Cook style instead of playing through midfield.We are not trying to utilize Charlie Wyke at all and he might as well sit next to me in the West Stand. Like I said last week we desperately need a good playmaker maybe the lad Bayliss will show what he can do there

Finally I found Leam's substitutions stange Why take a defender off with 4mins left and put the 3rd winger of the game out left. 3 great points today but it was a real struggle .
At least our version of Cookism is getting results.

I thought Pearce was exposed today and was our weak although I was impressed with their no.10 Harness.
A solid defence from both sides with not many clear cut chances but Jordan Jones has something in his locker just needs to produce it. Why did he go down in the area so easily?
Lang was also puffing and panting BUT provided the match winner.
James McClean sub turned the game.
A good captain performance but the centre back Whatmough was MOTM for me.