The Politics Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

So "Big" Ed Miliband says he will freeze power price increases for 20 months IF that lot get into government. The Power companies have in turn warned that if that happened, there would be a likelihood of power cuts.....

Brings it all back to us older Vital Villans doesn't it.............

Red Ed has also challenged Dave to a TV debate: LOL and that will do what?..

Ah the winter of discontent: Yup Mom had this little calor gas stove out warming up soup on it I remember and other variations. When the bins weren't emptied and the dead weren't buried. Lovely days...... NOT

It seems red Ed's little energy pledge has knocked £950 million off The share prices of energy companies. Labour bad for business? Who'd have thought it.

Cameron, as Kefkat says, dodging the TV debate.

Should they do them do you think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/25/labour-party-conference-ed-miliband_n_3988481.html

The Daily Mail are in a bit of quandary.

They seem to think that a private company threatening to put the county's lights out if they don't get what they want is quite reasonable but thought rather differently when the miners threatened to do the same.

These companies have made a direct threat to sabotage the UK economy.

It is the first duty of the government to defend the country against such threats and Cameron should respond accordingly.

OnMeHeadFred - 26/9/2013 14:26

They seem to think that a private company threatening to put the county's lights out if they don't get what they want is quite reasonable but thought rather differently when the miners threatened to do the same.

It is the first duty of the government to defend the country against such threats and Cameron should respond accordingly.

I don't think the present government needs to do anything about this atm. It's the conference season atm so it's point scoring time.

However, it's up to the electorate to see what Red Ed threatens and to see through it.... ie consequences.

Also, interestingly enough, on Breakfast on BBC this morning it was reported that customers on credit accounts with 3 different suppliers can "freeze" any payment increases NOW! not just from 2015. One lasts longer than the 20 months, and the other two a couple of months shorter, but that is from NOW as I say, NOT as Red Ed claims he'll do.

It's up to the customer to shop around surely?

Do you mean credit cards?

You can refuse to accept the increase, they will then tell you that you are effectively cancelling your card (not the balance) and once cleared it will be cancelled.

I had a balance for a family member on a Halifax card, got a letter say the rates were going up, or I could choose to cancel and keep at the same rate until cleared then you can't use the card.

I rung them and asked for that option, the lady then said she would check and came back saying we can keep the same rate and NOT cancel you card.

On the principle that they were being bastards, I cancelled and cleared it.

Pride of Lions - 26/9/2013 09:39

OnMeHeadFred - 26/9/2013 14:26

It's up to the customer to shop around surely?

That is the catch-phrase dreamt up by the industry to pretend that the market is working, when it obviously is not.

It is just one of the hypocrisies which both the industry and governments hide behind. When we know that pretend private companies pretend to compete and pretend the money they invest is their own.

But the real elephant in the room is that expensive energy is and has been government policy for years, which is key to every government's Green commitments.

The theory being that expensive energy encourages people to use less and to become more energy efficient.

The present set-up which has feather-bedded these big companies is just another scam which guarantees their private profits, while dumping the responsibility for investment on their customers and the tax-payers.

These sweetheart deals are normal for privatised public utilities (we are a generous nation).

This is all part of the Green vanity policies which are based upon the delusion that making a few cuts in the energy usage of a country which has 0.8% of the world's population can compensate for the fact that India and China are set to built over 800 coal-fired power stations between them in the near future.

High energy prices are set to be government policy for the foreseeable future because energy is such a massive cash cow, which they can justify by showing polar bears and melting glaciers.

The only reason Red Ed has made it a policy is that it was an election issue in Germany, where electric bills are a lot higher, and he sees it as an opportunity.

Red Ed is lying if he is promising anything more than a temporary price freeze.

His party's other policies say exactly the opposite.

The Fear - 26/9/2013 09:13

Cameron, as Kefkat says, dodging the TV debate.

Should they do them do you think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/25/labour-party-conference-ed-miliband_n_3988481.html

No, is my opinion.

Our system works great IMO - why start copying the yanks in anyway with regards to politics? Milliband made himself look a right bellend this week with his crazy evangelist style bullshit.

Give me 8 blokes in suits and braces, smoking pipes and drinking brandy around a pall mall gentlemens club table, putting the world to rights anyday of the week, over this americanised razmatazz ticker tape and banner bollocks.

You can only call energy prices expensive if they are higher than other countries - which they arnt!

Green Tea - 26/9/2013 13:04

You can only call energy prices expensive if they are higher than other countries - which they arnt!

There are over 40 countries with cheaper electricity than the UK, so by your measure, we can say that electricity in the UK is expensive.

Look up "electricity pricing" on Wiki.

Got my eyes on ball today, whats tis then oh a Polish thread yeah agree they take all the jobs but they do work hard and are usually nice people though.

Jim, come off the fence and have an opinion ffs!!!!!!!!!!!

Sort of agree, was a bit of a daft thing last time and they are all so smug (and similar) that I'm not sure it can have helped many change their mind on who they were voting for.

The problem we have is lazy people. The North is in dire need of industry but nobody can be bothered to get up off their fat lazy backsides and do anything about it. Wage increases, increases in health and safety is causing the bottom end to slowly fall away in China and co', yet which country is raping in the rewards by building new industries? Once again its Germany.

Labour say they want to give 16 year olds the vote.

I guess if you are old enough to shag, you should be old enough to vote, maybe they will be more inclined to vote than the majority of the adult population? On the other hand, I doubt it.

The voting age should definitely be reduced to 16 - if you are old enough to contribute taxes you deserve the right to a say on who sets and spends those taxes. If you are old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to have a say on who sends you off to die.

AH, yes, both more intelligent examples than I gave McGrath4Pope...! Totally agree!

Sorry JF re earlier question, can't remember.

Will Self is being pretty sensible tonight in his comments. He's staying off his soap box!

Labour want jobless 16 year olds to vote. Tories want vote restricted to employed only. Yada yada :6: :6: :6: :6: