The Politics Thread | Page 343 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Yup, and the donations regarding the renovations carried out at no.10. (think £840 Rolls of gold wallpaper etc) He could be in deep shit if the standards committee were able to do their job properly.

I think Caroline Lucas sums up what we're alluding to
"This has gone from a threatened suspension to a major political crisis because PM wanted to save his own skin from further investigations into his own misconduct This isn’t just about one resignation - it’s about systemic weakening of parliamentary standard & rule of law"

I think the government might have realised the seriousness of the shitstorm they created yesterday...

The government will rethink its plans to overhaul the policing of MPs' conduct after a furious backlash.

On Wednesday, No 10 backed a shake-up of the standards watchdog and blocked the suspension of one of its own former ministers, Owen Paterson.

But it led to accusations of sleaze, with Labour saying the Tories just wanted to "let off one of their own".

Leader of the House Jacob Rees-Mogg has now confirmed the changes will not go ahead without cross-party support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59163961

Oh another u-turn.

I’ve seen in quite a few places that this whole thing is blowing up now because Johnson wants to discredit/destroy the standards committee before some of his own indiscretions (like this holiday Goldsmith paid for) come up for investigation. Not remotely surprising if true.

My first thought yesterday was this wasn't about Paterson but something coming down the line.

Sir John suggested the Johnson administration was "politically corrupt" over its treatment of the House of Commons and said its attempt to overhaul the standards system was "rather a bad mistake" but "isn't a mistake on its own".
"There's a general whiff of 'we are the masters now' about their behaviour," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59188972

I was a bit too young to remember Major as PM, I remember it just being a very grey era in the early 90’s - but I love the fact he hates Bozo and is respected in Tory circles.

I was a bit too young to remember Major as PM, I remember it just being a very grey era in the early 90’s - but I love the fact he hates Bozo and is respected in Tory circles.

Yes a bit too young myself but remember it not being a great time, however my memory is Major struck me as a decent bloke trying to do the right thing but got shafted left right and centre - absolutely not helped by him shafting Currie which overshadowed everything he was trying to do or react to.

No idea if I'm right, but that's how I remember it.