The Politics Thread | Page 99 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

With both political parties on the extremes of their side of the spectrum and Brexit likely to split the Tories, there is a decent chance of a new centrist party being formed soon.

The Lib Dems could have been it if they hadn't fucked over their voters so badly the last time.

Was talking to a mate only the other month about all the splits leading to a new centrist that tried to marry the more sensible elements of both without the extremes. And as you say, could've been a new life for the Libs but as soon as they got some second wind with Cable, he admitted he'd probably be quickly off after any election, so they are immediately discounted again lol

Was talking to a mate only the other month about all the splits leading to a new centrist that tried to marry the more sensible elements of both without the extremes. And as you say, could've been a new life for the Libs but as soon as they got some second wind with Cable, he admitted he'd probably be quickly off after any election, so they are immediately discounted again lol

Chuka hopes a new party will be created by the end of the year. You can call me Mystic BodyButter, or perhaps not.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...opes-new-party-will-be-created-by-end-of-year

Meanwhile accross the pond Bernie Sanders as chucked his hat into the 2020 presidential race again. He is now 77. He would be 78 IF he got in. Has a president ever died in office beside the assassination of JFK? Needs to check my history

The whole 3 party, first past the post system has failed IMO. The extremities of both major parties are set to cause further breakdown at the expense of the majority. Heaven only knows where it will all end.

History will not look kindly on this political chapter that's for sure.

That didn't take long, Hatton is already ranting on the BBC.

just hope that more leave Labour at the protest of the way the leadership have led the party. Kinnock worked so hard to rid the party of the likes of Militant and Momentum but the clown in charge and his dangerous sidekick have opened the floodgates to them as well.

What I don't get is why these hard left wallies couldn't form their own party if they are so sure this country has an appetite for hard left politics.

Hatton always came over as so fake to me.

just hope that more leave Labour at the protest of the way the leadership have led the party. Kinnock worked so hard to rid the party of the likes of Militant and Momentum but the clown in charge and his dangerous sidekick have opened the floodgates to them as well.

What I don't get is why these hard left wallies couldn't form their own party if they are so sure this country has an appetite for hard left politics.

Hatton always came over as so fake to me.

Entitlement I think is the word.

Time to dig out Alan Bleasdale's magnificent 1991 TV miniseries G.B.H. featuring a brilliantly funny performance by Robert Lyndsay. Political drama of the highest quality.

A must see if you've never watched it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101104/reviews

Lindsay in that kind of role sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't believe I've ever seen (or at least properly) if 1991. Depending on the month I'd may have been 12 at best lol

I find it interesting that some commentators are saying that Theresa May will make the Tories unelectable for a generation whilst others believe that Jeremy Corbyn will ensure that the Labour Party will not taste power for another twenty years.

I find it interesting that some commentators are saying that Theresa May will make the Tories unelectable for a generation whilst others believe that Jeremy Corbyn will ensure that the Labour Party will not taste power for another twenty years.

Ideal time for a central party to be launched!!

"Stalinist" a very appropriate description for Corbyn actually.

Did make me laugh earlier listening to McDonnell....we'll listen, properly this time, promise, it matters, maybe we made a mistake, it's a shame we want them back, we'll welcome them back and we promise to listen. Promise.

But listen, what matters is getting an election on the back of Brexit....nothing else matters.

Paraphrased obviously.

Virtually unbelievable they have let Hatton back in the Labour party. If you are not old enough have a read up about him. Its almost like they are trying to allianate traditional Labour voters? As a start he set an illegal budget in Liverpool for the city council. It resulted in lots of council workers being made redundant. He had the redundancy notices delivered by Taxi? A real man of the people?

Last edited:
Exactly the kind of support Corbyn wants though - mental, extreme, Unionista shout-a-lot preaching morals whilst taking care of themselves and getting aggressive (in peaceful politics like Corbyn preaches) when they need to change the story.

It's why I naturally hate Unions and always have.

The theory is great, but the system, like Communism, protects those at the top....only.

So it's a race to the top serving as an extra tax on those at the bottom. Len McCluskey et al, need I say more.

The first time I ever voted it was for Labour, for the record.

Same here, and I'm viewed (I think) as a cross Liberal Tory lol Labour should be mine.

It was balance where reward was rewarded but take care of those less fortunate without favouring those less fortunate - if that makes sense.

I'm going to bed! lol

Shit state of affairs though as no party stands for anything in reality (in terms of a real sense of election) other than their own warped views anymore. That's not democracy. The Libs could've stepped up here, but I've said before, they gain some traction and Cable admits he'll bail after the election - so they are completely out of the equasion as short of Cable I don't know anyone else.