The Politics Thread | Page 89 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Shame they have all forgotten about the promises to reduce the size of the house of lords isn't it?

It could quite easily be cut to 1/3 of the current size and still be a more than adequate second chamber.
Jobs for the boys (and girls) when you look at the names.

Comes to something when I look along the front benches of both major
parties and cannot find one person I would say he/she would make a good prime minister,there is not even one I would vote for as an individual m.p. never mind P.M. Think its time for a generation shift in politics in fact thinking of Chukka up and others maybe make that 2 generations.

Comes to something when I look along the front benches of both major
parties and cannot find one person I would say he/she would make a good prime minister,there is not even one I would vote for as an individual m.p. never mind P.M. Think its time for a generation shift in politics in fact thinking of Chukka up and others maybe make that 2 generations.

I was talking to the Mrs about this yesterday. The Prime Minister of Singapore earns SGD1m per year. That's about £550k.

May earns £150k as Prime Minister. It's a paltry salary for the most important job in the country. Having them relying on donations from big business is a disaster for the people too.

Still, shaking it up is difficult to do.

Considering what a shambles I consider our politics to be in ,in this country when I look around the world I shudder at the state of some of the others. E.G. Italy ye gods a coalition of far right and far left how the hell is that going to work ?. Then Trump in the U.S.A and Putin in Russia yep I suppose we could be worse off than we already are.

A spill over thought from the Education thread is that our Western election cycles damage our long term planning. Elected officials will only plan in 4 or 5 year cycles and normally look for the catchy soundbite or attention grabbing headline over substantive policies.

I believe the Russians and Chinese have figured this out too and are exploiting the cracks in out system.

The Chinese are able to plan for 10 or 20 years into the future because of their system of government. I'm not arguing for a communist dictatorship but we should be able to agree on common principles which all elected officials have to work towards.

Not much fussed over the marbles going back to Greece what worries me about Corbyn is his potential to give away The Falklands,Gibraltar and we already knows he wants a united Ireland. Not saying any of the above should not happen,but only if the population of those places vote for it. Sorry could never bring myself to vote for this guy as P.M.

From PMQs today:

Theresa May: "When will he answer my question?"
Jeremy Corbyn: "You're meant to answer the questions, not ask them" Theresa May: "I didn't ask a question!"

:arrghh:

Who says politicians are out of touch?

Vince Cable on Talk Radio earlier discussing Heinz's controversial decision to rebrand salad cream as sandwich cream (WTF?!) said: said: “I think we call it mayonnaise don’t we, or is that too French?”

:lol: