The Politics Thread | Page 359 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Sir Kier Starmer has reshuffled the shadow cabinet, in football parlance Newport County have brought in 3 or 4 youth team players for a few weeks.

No one know's and apart from 0.09% of the UK population no one gives a fuck.

Last edited:
I share your shock, Astonion!

I despise him and his ilk, much like they despise and look down at us.

An investigation has been launched by the parliamentary standards commissioner into cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg over an alleged breach of the MPs’ code of conduct.

It is understood that the inquiry relates to a series of loans totalling £6m made to Mr Rees-Mogg by his company Saliston Limited between 2018 and 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-standards-sleaze-b1967583.html

I share your shock, Astonion!

I despise him and his ilk, much like they despise and look down at us.

An investigation has been launched by the parliamentary standards commissioner into cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg over an alleged breach of the MPs’ code of conduct.

It is understood that the inquiry relates to a series of loans totalling £6m made to Mr Rees-Mogg by his company Saliston Limited between 2018 and 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-standards-sleaze-b1967583.html
I think Rees-Mogg is the one I despise the most. In all the years I have been watching politics I cant think of a more arrogant self esteemed bastard. And to think people vote for him to put him where he is.

I think Rees-Mogg is the one I despise the most. In all the years I have been watching politics I cant think of a more arrogant self esteemed bastard. And to think people vote for him to put him where he is.

Yes, agreed, despicable character.

A Conservative MP has spoken up for the right of voters to elect racists or misogynists if that is who they want to represent them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59508496

I get what he's saying, but surely there's a better way of saying it lol
The right to free speech is under threat in this country.
We will be going back to the days of Oliver Cromwell soon if Parliament is silenced.

The right to free speech is under threat in this country.
We will be going back to the days of Oliver Cromwell soon if Parliament is silenced.

Thing is though, from my understanding, under the changes nothing happens unless an MP discriminates in a manner already contained within law. The issue is absolutely not constituents voting for the BNP and it would have no effect on 'who' could stand.

Hence my comment of a better way of saying it.

comes after the standards committee suggested MPs should "demonstrate anti-discriminatory attitudes".
This is nonsense though.
MPs aren't voted into Parliament to espouse anti discriminatory views.They are there to represent their constituents best interests, and as you rightly say the law already exists to police comments such as those.
I read only today that someone is trying to force a law to prosecute anyman who might make a comment in a pub or public place that women might find offensive.
This is absolute nonsense, unenforceable, and would lead to random accusations from all sorts of quarters for all sorts of reasons.
Unsurprisingly the government has declined to enter into discussion about it.

But it goes to behaviour in the Commons with all the crap they have all started spouting, in and of itself, it actually means nothing unless further boxes are ticked, so again he's overshot whilst trying to make a valid point.

You can hold views and be voted in, you can do your job and keep those views to yourself out of courtesy. It's completely different if in Parliament an MP starts suggesting people should go home or get back to the kitchen - that's the actionable - and these suggestions in no way change anything in reality.

It's basically whistle blowing on both sides to deflect again and get people angry over something that's a nothing, and absolutely in this case it could be a total misdirection with reference to your comment (not heard about that) because the Gov won't engage, when simply put, their only response should be.

Everyone has the right to be offended and people have the right to offend, as long as it's not counter to the discrimination laws in place. Simples, job done.

Everyone has the right to be offended and people have the right to offend, as long as it's not counter to the discrimination laws in place. Simples, job done.
And therein lies the problem in the UK today.
Yes you have the right, but try to exercise that right to offend and half the bloody country, via twatter, wants to lynch you.
Whatever happened to a two sided debate,( such as we have on here), you don't have to agree, but you can agree to disagree, and we are still all mates on a forum.

I discount Twatter mate, it's something like 2% of the population create 80% of the content, you can't get wrapped up in that. And obviously a big difference between a twat in a basement calling for your job (ie MPs) and then actual legal action being taken.

This is where Swailes? got it wrong, he is in effect leaning on the Twatmob but equating it to real legal action - again, the point is right but he's overshot for headlines.

There are definitely issues on unproven behaviour in society where mob mentality and presumed guilt before innocence seems to be a norm, but that would never apply to an MP under old or new suggested guidance.

100% with you on the last point though, we can get quite heated on here at points but it rarely sticks as we're still talking bollocks in other threads at the same time lol

It's how it should be, because nobody is 100% right, the truth lies in the middle ground as long as viewpoints aren't blind and extreme from the get go. Sadly these days, it seems only the minority extreme viewpoints make the news though whilst 99% of the rest of us live in that middle ground.

I discount Twatter mate, it's something like 2% of the population create 80% of the content, you can't get wrapped up in that. And obviously a big difference between a twat in a basement calling for your job (ie MPs) and then actual legal action being taken.

This is where Swailes? got it wrong, he is in effect leaning on the Twatmob but equating it to real legal action - again, the point is right but he's overshot for headlines.

There are definitely issues on unproven behaviour in society where mob mentality and presumed guilt before innocence seems to be a norm, but that would never apply to an MP under old or new suggested guidance.

100% with you on the last point though, we can get quite heated on here at points but it rarely sticks as we're still talking bollocks in other threads at the same time lol

It's how it should be, because nobody is 100% right, the truth lies in the middle ground as long as viewpoints aren't blind and extreme from the get go. Sadly these days, it seems only the minority extreme viewpoints make the news though whilst 99% of the rest of us live in that middle ground.

As Dave Chappelle said, Twitter isn't a real place.

Netflix seemed to brush off the latest round of Chappelle vs transgenders.

I'm getting the feeling that the tide has turned against online activism.

what people get up to in their private leisure time, within reason, is of no interest to me, but at work?

COCAINE, RUNNING AROUND MY DRAIN: Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle says he will refer allegations of widespread drug use in parliament to the police. A report in the Sunday Times said cocaine was found in several lavatories – all but one of 12 lavatory areas tested showed traces of the class A substance. Sir Lindsay said those who “flout the law” should be punished, and Commons authorities are said to be considering the use of sniffer dogs on the estate.

Which is why, despite the noise from extremists of all shades of opinion, the electorate in this country rarely vote for the extreme.