The Politics Thread | Page 268 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

This (below) is always worth a re-run as TV interviewer Eddie Mair highlights Johnson's dodgy past etc.

"You're a nasty piece of work, aren't you?" was one of Mair's more generous reflections on Johnson's integrity.

It's TV gold to see Johnson squirming in his seat just as it is to see him squirming at PMQ's most weeks. You can see he hates being questioned by Starmer and clinically owned in the debate so he resorts back to type by lying in Parliament and never answering a question which is the whole point of PMQ's.

This is not helped by Speaker of The House Lindsay Hoyle who allows Johnson to evade questions by waffling on and coming out with his BS lying.

It's just a shame Starmer hasn't got the charisma to match his clinical mind but I live in hope.

The good news is he is a million lights years away from that idiot Corbyn who through his stupidity and misguided policies, handed the Tories the last election on a plate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/mar/24/boris-johnson-interview-eddie-mair

Last edited:
What the man that even Boris humiliates during debates.

I’m neither Labour or Tory can’t stand any of them, voting is hard for me. But Boris just comes back with stupid retorts in my opinion, Starmer can have papers and well articulated arguments whereas Boris just bumbles any old shit out his mouth. Boris can also just say any old shit and the average electorate either isn’t bothered or believes him.

Starmer did a pretty good job at being on the front with with the Xmas lockdown, Boris made himself look a twat with another U turn but what’s the consequence? And what is Starmer expected to do apart from be one step ahead? It’s exactly what we need on the other side, rather than a clown who was 2 steps behind in Corbyn.

Starmer is getting a lot of flak, and being criticised as though he should’ve been in campaign mode a few years before an election and during a pandemic. I don’t understand the criticism of him. Staunch Tories just want to hate him because they are staunch Tories, they couldn’t tell you why

An emergency meeting of Northern Ireland's power-sharing executive will take place on Thursday morning after a night of violence in west Belfast.

During several hours of rioting police officers were attacked, petrol bombs were thrown and a bus was burnt.

The Police Federation said seven officers were injured during the violence on both sides of an interface between loyalist and nationalist areas.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the scenes "deeply concerned" him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56664868

Johnson should be concerned, he and his lackies are responsible for a good % of the flair up of issues.

As much as I hate Johnson, it's not entirely clear why they are rioting. It's probably because they can and have historically been given free reign by the police there.

Some anti-Brexit people are saying it's because of Brexit. Arlene is saying it's because Sinn Fein broke covid restrictions. Others are saying it's because the police took away one of the loyalist terrorist group's drugs.

I suspect it's probably the 3rd one.

I’m neither Labour or Tory can’t stand any of them, voting is hard for me. But Boris just comes back with stupid retorts in my opinion, Starmer can have papers and well articulated arguments whereas Boris just bumbles any old shit out his mouth. Boris can also just say any old shit and the average electorate either isn’t bothered or believes him.

Starmer did a pretty good job at being on the front with with the Xmas lockdown, Boris made himself look a twat with another U turn but what’s the consequence? And what is Starmer expected to do apart from be one step ahead? It’s exactly what we need on the other side, rather than a clown who was 2 steps behind in Corbyn.

Starmer is getting a lot of flak, and being criticised as though he should’ve been in campaign mode a few years before an election and during a pandemic. I don’t understand the criticism of him. Staunch Tories just want to hate him because they are staunch Tories, they couldn’t tell you why
That arguement works both sides doesnt it. Staunch lefties will automatically hate anyone Tory and not give them the time of day. Works both ways.
Same as in America. Works both ways.
Its just a sad state of affairs that when you put the UK and America together you wouldnt trust one of them to lead a merry go round never mind anything else.
Sad times.

I see Myanmar's ambassador to the UK has been kicked out of his office by his deputy - who is pro the military junta.

https://www.cityam.com/myanmars-uk-...ocked-out-of-london-embassy-in-military-coup/

Surely we should look to either close down said embassy or get the git out and get the recognised ambassador back into his position. Surely the UK doesn't recognise this military junta's legality?...........

It's a difficult one. I don't think anyone apart from China is delighted about the coup but it's a country which has been isolated from the world for a long time. Even before the coup, the military has been running the country in the interests of the top brass since independence. If you cut them off, they will go back to how things were before.

Starmer is yet to prove what he truly stands for and he's made a few mistakes and hiccups on a PR front, but he's genuine, sincere and not a cockwomble.

I'd take an unproven Starmer over how many kids I have I got and serial proven liar Boris.

, what about his taxi drivers there still trying to clear the mess up from the last time the were in lol,seanie

As much as I hate Johnson, it's not entirely clear why they are rioting. It's probably because they can and have historically been given free reign by the police there.

Some anti-Brexit people are saying it's because of Brexit. Arlene is saying it's because Sinn Fein broke covid restrictions. Others are saying it's because the police took away one of the loyalist terrorist group's drugs.

A mix? And our liars/gov have opened them up to this in my opinion.

This (below) is always worth a re-run as TV interviewer Eddie Mair highlights Johnson's dodgy past etc.

"You're a nasty piece of work, aren't you?" was one of Mair's more generous reflections on Johnson's integrity.

TV gold wasn't it? A total character assassination, which says a lot about the Tories, that they still, eventually, made him their leader.

It's just a shame Starmer hasn't got the charisma to match his clinical mind but I live in hope.

The good news is he is a million lights years away from that idiot Corbyn who through his stupidity and misguided policies, handed the Tories the last election on a plate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/mar/24/boris-johnson-interview-eddie-mair

Yes, think it is difficult to really judge, as most normal business is on hold and he can't be seen to be over critical at the moment, of covid measures.

But as you say, streets ahead of the foolish Corbyn, so hopefully Labour will be set back onto the right path.

Unproven, that's what Starmer will be tagged with in the next election. The Tories repeatedly prove that they are corrupt and incompetent but Labour somehow have to prove that they can run the country before they are elected.

It's his biggest battle, short of hiccups I think he's played Covid right but as we edge out of lockdown he really needs to come up with a couple of blockbusters to really put him on the map.

It's a mix of all plus some old angst coming out sadly. The Brexit NI nonsense, added to Sinn Fein's funeral and the whole thing has sadly powderkegged again.

It's a very murky business that Cameron has got involved in with lobbying for his mate.

David Cameron has accepted he should have communicated with the government "through only the most formal of channels" after it emerged he took scandal-hit financier Lex Greensill for a “private drink” with Health Secretary Matt Hancock to lobby him over a payment scheme for the NHS.

The former Prime Minister insisted, however, that he complied with the rules when lobbying the government on behalf of Greensill Capital.

Breaking his weeks of silence, Mr Cameron said in a statement to the PA news agency that having “reflected on this at length” he accepts there are “important lessons to be learnt”.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-11...scussed-nhs-payment-scheme-over-private-drink

Total cronyism. And no doubt happens both sides of the House and in the Lords. I can half understand people with nothing, or just normal amount of money, trying to better their finances but aren't people like Cameron rich enough already?

Pure greed.

It's a very murky business that Cameron has got involved in with lobbying for his mate.

David Cameron has accepted he should have communicated with the government "through only the most formal of channels" after it emerged he took scandal-hit financier Lex Greensill for a “private drink” with Health Secretary Matt Hancock to lobby him over a payment scheme for the NHS.

The former Prime Minister insisted, however, that he complied with the rules when lobbying the government on behalf of Greensill Capital.

Breaking his weeks of silence, Mr Cameron said in a statement to the PA news agency that having “reflected on this at length” he accepts there are “important lessons to be learnt”.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-11...scussed-nhs-payment-scheme-over-private-drink
Did Cameron mention that he stood to make over £20m from any deal?

I love the way that these ***** carry on with this kind of thing and then offer some half-arsed 'apology' ("Lessons need to be learnt" after a period of "reflection") safe in the knowledge it will be swept under the carpet by their mates still in government and the compliant media in this country.

Did Cameron mention that he stood to make over £20m from any deal?

I love the way that these ***** carry on with this kind of thing and then offer some half-arsed 'apology' ("Lessons need to be learnt" after a period of "reflection") safe in the knowledge it will be swept under the carpet by their mates still in government and the compliant media in this country.

You would think as a former PM , he would know about these "lessons" but it seems he thinks as in keeping with Old Etonian arrogance that normal rules don't apply to him.

You would think as a former PM , he would know about these "lessons" but it seems he thinks as in keeping with Old Etonian arrogance that normal rules don't apply to him.

Especially as he called it out once.

I read briefly the Sunak replies, and to me they didn’t fill me with confidence either. They were a sort of “go down another avenue response” by my interpretation

He knows the rules don't apply to him. He's right too. He muttered something about learning lessons. That's enough. Carry on.