The Politics Thread | Page 240 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Latest 'Dominic Cummings is above the law' update:

Boris Johnson’s most senior adviser and his family won’t be made to pay up to £50,000 of council tax for two homes built on their farm without planning permission.

The investigation found the family owe between £30,000 and £50,000 of council tax on the two properties, but the amounts have now been waived due to the amount of time passed, officials from Durham County Council said.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/14/domi...unpaid-council-tax-bill-written-off-13418936/

Latest 'Dominic Cummings is above the law' update:

Boris Johnson’s most senior adviser and his family won’t be made to pay up to £50,000 of council tax for two homes built on their farm without planning permission.

The investigation found the family owe between £30,000 and £50,000 of council tax on the two properties, but the amounts have now been waived due to the amount of time passed, officials from Durham County Council said.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/14/domi...unpaid-council-tax-bill-written-off-13418936/

Sometimes we need a don’t like button!

It just beggars belief that they are ploughing ahead with this. Just unbelievable.

The first phase of the HS2 high speed railway linking London to Birmingham has gone over its budget again.

The news comes less than two months after construction officially began.

Ministers have admitted an extra £800m is needed due to more asbestos being discovered and the complexities of bringing the railway into a new hub station at London Euston.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54538639

It just beggars belief that they are ploughing ahead with this. Just unbelievable.

The first phase of the HS2 high speed railway linking London to Birmingham has gone over its budget again.

The news comes less than two months after construction officially began.

Ministers have admitted an extra £800m is needed due to more asbestos being discovered and the complexities of bringing the railway into a new hub station at London Euston.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54538639

And let me guess, that those £800m in new contracts go to the brother-in- law of some mid tier cabinet ministers wife, who just happens to run a “successful” asbestos removal company.

The House of Commons is to stop serving alcohol on its premises, after tougher Covid restrictions were announced across the UK.
Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle said the ban would begin on Saturday, and apply to all catering outlets, whether food is served or not.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54563972

How will the poor dears cope?

giphy.gif

Just to be clear, is disapproval of the actions of Israel anti-Semitism?
Some elements of the Labour Party certainly come across as anti Semitic but many of the party oppose the policies of the Israeli regime rather than the Jewish people or religion. Is this opposition anti-semitism or legitimate criticism?
I’m not defending Corbyn because I think he was a disaster but I wonder if the two issues are being confused.

Jeremy Corbyn is one of the main reasons the UK is stuck with Boris Johnson as PM.
But he still has his groupies in Parliament unfortunately. I wish Keir Starmer well in cleaning up the augean stables he inherited.

Exactly how I feel. If he hadn't been so stubborn, so blind and such an arse, we might well have not had Johnson, or if we had, not with such a massive majority.

Starmer going to war with the left of his party, this is going to get nasty. Kinnock was the last Labour leader to do so, it cost him dear but he paved the way to three election victories. As for Corbyn the UK dodged a very big bullet not electing him PM.
This report is damning and Starmer had no choice than to take it seriously. The Labour party broke the law.

Jeremy Corbyn is one of the main reasons the UK is stuck with Boris Johnson as PM.
But he still has his groupies in Parliament unfortunately. I wish Keir Starmer well in cleaning up the augean stables he inherited.
No that isn't true. David Cameron is the reason we have Boris as PM. The British people voted to leave the EU, and Boris was lent a very sizable vote to deliver that vote. If it had been May as TOry leader the Brexit party would have destroyed the Tory party in the last general election.

Just to be clear, is disapproval of the actions of Israel anti-Semitism?
Some elements of the Labour Party certainly come across as anti Semitic but many of the party oppose the policies of the Israeli regime rather than the Jewish people or religion. Is this opposition anti-semitism or legitimate criticism?
I’m not defending Corbyn because I think he was a disaster but I wonder if the two issues are being confused.

Before I start, Corbyn was a useless leader make no mistake, to the point it enraged me and as CDX said, is the reason Boris and several Tories have has such an easy ride.

In terms of Israel, not a country I have good things to say and documentaries I’ve seen the hate and beliefs of very young, educated Israelis is venomous toward Palestinians though that us mutual back. For a race which have suffered from such evil such in the early 20th century, I can’t reconcile the level of hostility towards others but I guess this is why I’m not religious.

I suspect if you turned over a few Tory stones you’d probably come across a lot of anti-Muslim evidence too, so they’re all bad as each other.

I think your point is valid and I’m not qualified or bothered enough to got through the accusations, but from what I saw when this hit the headlines was a very weak leader who couldn’t nip it in the bud and so it kept reappearing.

Starmer going to war with the left of his party, this is going to get nasty. Kinnock was the last Labour leader to do so, it cost him dear but he paved the way to three election victories. As for Corbyn the UK dodged a very big bullet not electing him PM.
This report is damning and Starmer had no choice than to take it seriously. The Labour party broke the law.

A lot of people out there who have been forced to really think about their vote, and probably chose to go right in previously traditional labour strongholds. Best thing he can do is play the centre ground, it’s his best strategy to clean up. Where can the left go if they don’t vote for labour?