The Politics Thread | Page 220 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Im not sure i would trust this woman to wash my car on the drive never mind be a minister and help run the country.
After two woeful showings being interviewed by Piers and making herself look ridiculous she once again makes herself look unemployable.
And this is who we trust to run the country. When i eventually move and live in another country i will laugh at this government one day.
https://news.sky.com/video/can-you-stick-the-blame-on-the-scientists-12003293

Im not sure i would trust this woman to wash my car on the drive never mind be a minister and help run the country.
After two woeful showings being interviewed by Piers and making herself look ridiculous she once again makes herself look unemployable.
And this is who we trust to run the country. When i eventually move and live in another country i will laugh at this government one day.

Kay Burley is brilliant 😂

She cottoned on to the stutter and dug that knife in.

Interesting that she’s blaming the scientists already, Cunmings is already teeing that one up with the fake stories about how he encouraged lockdown.

These days seem like a real low point for British politics. Brexit and Covid have exposed them all, especially the current Tories.

Still, don't assume that things are better anywhere else.

Malaysian politics is completely race based. There was one party which remained in power from independence until a couple of years ago by scaring the biggest ethnic group into voting for them by telling them that otherwise the other ethnic groups would steal all of their stuff (yes, really).

There is no economic or policy difference between any of the parties. They don't usually publish manifestos. It's all personality based and they spend all of their time squabbling and trying to incite one group against another.

It's a farce and generally, people just ignore them and get on with their lives.

He is a vile man, his dad is pretty vile as well. He actually struck lucky, get brexit done was a good message at the point where people were sick to death of hearing about brexit and the endless arguments, plus there were many Labour voters who wanted it done, so they (as was said at the time by Johnson) lent their vote to him.

He was viewed as different to other politicians (much like Trump) and on both counts, they are right. Both different. Both in my view, liars, bullies, vile human beings. I think the cuddly boris act has worn thing already, I'm glad about that. I know for some he is still popular. I really do sit and watch in amazement, he's a bumbling, mumbling idiot. The outtakes of him talking about Turkey a few years ago showed that, but I am about to switch off, so not going to go looking. Even today, in the briefing (yes, the other thread, I know) he wasn't clear ont he message himself and started to get it wrong when the member of public asked about seeing her partner. Then asked a ridiculously basic question to the SAGE experts.

It was just a game to the Bullingdon Club brigade, they view us with contempt, I view them equally as contemptuously.

How people bow and scrape to his sort, and the Jacob Reece-Mogg sorts, is beyond me.

I reckon once we scratch below the surface of a very professional SAGE group of speakers and given time, we’ll hear lots more about the handling of this epidemic. They (advisors) seem to be too professional and lack a bit of character to run off to the Sunday Times for an exclusive on dishing the dirt but I imagine there’s a lot disgruntlement with those advising versus those making the decisions.

The two groups have never tied up, and there have been too many straplines the advisors are regurgitating that they don’t really believe.

Just my opinion

Last edited:
I reckon once we scratch below the surface of a very professional SAGE group of speakers and given time, we’ll hear lots more about the handling of this epidemic. They (advisors) seem to be too professional and lack a bit of character to run off to the Sunday Times for an exclusive on dishing the dirt but I imagine there’s a lot disgruntlement with those advising versus those making the decisions.

The two groups have never tied up, and there have been too many straplines the advisors are regurgitating that they don’t really believe.

Just my opinion

I guess the deal for scientific advisors is that you get to give your advice but then have to go along with whatever the politicians decide.

I guess the deal for scientific advisors is that you get to give your advice but then have to go along with whatever the politicians decide.

Absolutely, the difference with this pandemic is that those advisors have become household names, who stand up on that podium almost daily justifying the decisions the government have made - whether they are listened to, or not.

Witty said yesterday if he could go back and change an action, he would’ve started testing sooner as per the advice of the WHO and experience of the Koreans. I’m sure he fully backed testing like the rest of us thought and we had pages of uproar in here about the lack of it. But the reality is the government didn’t have the resource or capability to do it because they had no clear strategy and reacted so late in the day in my opinion.

On the above example, my favourite advisor of them all - Harries - and this probably isn’t coincidence it was her who was dragged in front of cameras, to say we don’t need to test or cancel mass gatherings.

Just picking up from Corona thread Wurz.

What I can say is Neil Ferguson's reputation is in tatters, the bloke who predicted 500000 deaths and then thought so little of the danger he went shagging a married woman, very trust worthy!

---------

Even as somebody whose been mixed with the Gov response so far when it comes to criticism, how can you be so declarative about Ferguson's reputation when an affair in no way diminishes his status as an expert - yet Bojo can seemingly get away with everything from lying, racism, buffoonery, ignoring the guidance himself - let alone he can hardly hang himself up as a paragon of faith, respect when it comes to his own affairs.

Sniff the air and read the signs. It's beginning to look like some of the Tory elite are starting to have doubts about Boris. Very interesting article by Paul Bracchi in today's Daily Mail about the Westferry property scandal that Jenrick was involved in. It seems Boris had some involvement. When the right wing press starts dishing the dirt you have to wonder who's giving the nod.

Boris is hated in the Tory party. The grandees did everything to stop him becoming leader with smear after smear, resignations, hit pieces in the press from senior Tories. They despise him. Unfortunately for them he is loved by the members, and trusted in the country to deliver Brexit ergo the 80 seat majority and destroying the Labour homelands. However that does not stop the backbiting and stabbing from these out of touch Tories, who want their party back. They need to understand, the Tories got an 80 seat majority because the Brexit vote was united behind Boris who is popular with the general public. If Hunt had become leader there would have been a hung parliament but the bigwigs in the Tory party would be more comfortable. They feel they have lost their party, and they have, Boris expelled several of the elite to start off with, and then decided that austerity had to stop. This has outraged the old party. Of course the press love stirring the shit more, and they have their own agenda witch is generally to get Brexit reversed. So all in all this is why these stories will keep on being written. There is a war in the Tory party on one side the Pro EU, pro austerity pro civil service gang., and the pro Brexit, end of austerity, liberal faction which is much smaller and seen as an infiltrator ( e.g. Momentum in the Labour party). This is why hanging onto Cummings is so important to Boris, to give his own party Cummings head would severely weaken his hold on the party.

Just picking up from Corona thread Wurz.

What I can say is Neil Ferguson's reputation is in tatters, the bloke who predicted 500000 deaths and then thought so little of the danger he went shagging a married woman, very trust worthy!

---------

Even as somebody whose been mixed with the Gov response so far when it comes to criticism, how can you be so declarative about Ferguson's reputation when an affair in no way diminishes his status as an expert - yet Bojo can seemingly get away with everything from lying, racism, buffoonery, ignoring the guidance himself - let alone he can hardly hang himself up as a paragon of faith, respect when it comes to his own affairs.

Scientists have levelled a flurry of criticism against Professor Neil Ferguson's modelling which warned 500,000 people could die from coronavirus and prompted Britain to go into lockdown.

Modelling from Imperial College London epidemiologist Professor Ferguson, who stepped down from the government's Sage group at the start of May, has been described as 'totally unreliable' by other experts.

David Richards, co-founder of British data technology company WANdisco said the model was a 'buggy mess that looks more like a bowl of angel hair pasta than a finely tuned piece of programming'.

He said: 'In our commercial reality we would fire anyone for developing code like this and any business that relied on it to produce software for sale would likely go bust.

Link:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...essor-Neil-Ferguson-branded-mess-experts.html

Imperial College epidemiologist Neil] Ferguson was behind the disputed research that sparked the mass culling of eleven million sheep and cattle during the 2001 outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. He also predicted that up to 150,000 people could die. There were fewer than 200 deaths. . . .

In 2002, Ferguson predicted that up to 50,000 people would likely die from exposure to BSE (mad cow disease) in beef. In the U.K., there were only 177 deaths from BSE.

In 2005, Ferguson predicted that up to 150 million people could be killed from bird flu. In the end, only 282 people died worldwide from the disease between 2003 and 2009.

In 2009, a government estimate, based on Ferguson’s advice, said a “reasonable worst-case scenario” was that the swine flu would lead to 65,000 British deaths. In the end, swine flu killed 457 people in the U.K.

Last March, Ferguson admitted that his Imperial College model of the COVID-19 disease was based on undocumented, 13-year-old computer code that was intended to be used for a feared influenza pandemic, rather than a coronavirus. Ferguson declined to release his original code so other scientists could check his results. He only released a heavily revised set of code last week, after a six-week delay.