The Politics Thread | Page 213 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

I never used to get the anti-Tory thing, sounded like a load of brainwashed millennials and people of a certain age who remember the Thatcher days.

Safe to say, I now get it. Not in the “they just look after the rich” way - maybe they look after a select few who have significant hedge funds as they aren’t even a party for business anymore - but I dislike them for their lack of integrity, morals and how they treat us like we were all born yesterday.

If this Tory government get re-elected in 2024 or whenever the next GE is, I’ll lose all faith in british democracy.

What you will learn mate is that it doesn't matter who the government is they all look after themselves. It's only a game and then you die

Again, Starmer has a long way to go BUT at least we seem to have a more credible and electable opposition now.

It's a start at least.

I quite liked Swinson in fairness and she was given a raw media deal with the questioning that the Tory ilk (inc Rory who I also quite liked) didn't get....but based on politics the Libs were never going to win regardless.

With Starmer, at least Lab are back in the race.

Again, Starmer has a long way to go BUT at least we seem to have a more credible and electable opposition now.

It's a start at least.

I quite liked Swinson in fairness and she was given a raw media deal with the questioning that the Tory ilk (inc Rory who I also quite liked) didn't get....but based on politics the Libs were never going to win regardless.

Swinson got rinsed for her Sheffield appearance where she answered questions honestly and straight up. It wasn’t a typical Theresa May style answer where she answered the question, without answering the question - swinson said it how it was. That got my respect but everyone seemed to backlash.

She was never PM material, but isn’t it funny how the Libs have absolutely ruined themselves with something that happened a decade or so ago, yet Boris and the Tories won’t be held accountable for more civilian deaths than WW2.

Need a new party to step in and take the Lib Dem’s out, call themselves “Democrats” or something as simple as that to give a credible third option. Waste of a vote if you aren’t Labour or Tory

It's a start at least.

Personally I'd rather they all pulled together for the greater good of the country and we escaped the nonsensical 2 party bollocks of whatever they say we'll say the opposite.

Yup, that was what I took from it. She wanted to be honest and not bullshit but got torn apart (which has to be backwards, you call out the bullshit, not the honesty even if you don't agree).

Definitely not PM material, maybe a few more years but then would she be PM material once she'd learnt to lie? And yes, Clegg ruined the Libs but in many ways for all the right reasons and too many are too thick to see it....because they latch to 'student fees' and nothing else.

Love or loathe...Cameron played a blinder on that one knowing which one would stick for Clegg.

Personally I'd rather they all pulled together for the greater good of the country and we escaped the nonsensical 2 party bollocks of whatever they say we'll say the opposite.

In fairness to Starmer, he has sort of bridged the gap in his approach on that front - but again it's politics, it's not actually about the good of the country is it.

I do agree, and from what I’ve seen of Starmer his calls have been good so far. I know nothing about Kier Starmer by the way - except he’s had a knighthood - so he’s got a clean slate with me.

Corbyn didn’t have a clue and too many problems he couldn’t manage in his party to think about his response, Starmer did “commend” (I think) the govt the other day on something they did.

I have much more respect for an opposition leader who can come out and say “we are pleased to see such and such” type comments, because then you know they are fighting for the greater good.

Last edited:
Yup, that was what I took from it. She wanted to be honest and not bullshit but got torn apart (which has to be backwards, you call out the bullshit, not the honesty even if you don't agree).

Definitely not PM material, maybe a few more years but then would she be PM material once she'd learnt to lie? And yes, Clegg ruined the Libs but in many ways for all the right reasons and too many are too thick to see it....because they latch to 'student fees' and nothing else.

Love or loathe...Cameron played a blinder on that one knowing which one would stick for Clegg.

I really don’t get why any party would prop up the Tories anymore, just there to get shat on. Slightly different for the DUP because they can negotiate a £1bn to NI, but just one bad bill against the principles of your party that gets through and your credibility is nil.

In many ways it was Clegg's naiveity thinking he could influence more, but they did temper to a good degree I think - tuition fees aside. But that's all that's remembered.

I get your point, but I also understanding propping up if you think you can influence properly (to suit your ideals). Clegg's biggest problem was he negotiated the wrong things from a PR point of view.

DUP buy out just shows how desperate May was - the irony being she 'got' the job before and after she took it - it was whilst in job her ambitions came out too much.

In fairness to Starmer, he has sort of bridged the gap in his approach on that front - but again it's politics, it's not actually about the good of the country is it.

It's what it's become though Mike and currently, with COVID it should be all about working together, party politics should go out of the window. None of the clowns represent me anyway

It's what it's become though Mike and currently, with COVID it should be all about working together, party politics should go out of the window. None of the clowns represent me anyway

Honestly, the only MP I can actually relate to is Jess Phillips and I only sort of agree with her 60-70% of the time at best lol

It's all just so removed from reality - you watch Parliament normally, you wouldn't allow that behaviour in an infant school.

Not once but freaking twice! Love or loathe past government never in the whole of government history as there been such an unfit government led by people who think that governing is one rule for them and another for us minions.

They aren't there to serve and make this country a better place. If anyone still needed convincing then today should have been enough for you to know this country is run by people, with no finesse, scruples, respect and service.

We don't have a government. We have a shambolic load of populist idiots in power

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ip-to-durham-during-lockdown-reports-11993601

THANKS to JPA for moving politics discussion from the covid thread. I was getting frustrated. I love talking politics, it isn't difficult to be talking politics in the politics thread.

I thought Swinson was the final nail in the Liberals coffin. She was arrogant, loud in the way she tried to present her arguments and the bollocks to brexit vein that she continued was not proper politics, it was going for the lowest common denominator.

She very obviously steamrollered her wish, to feck Brexit it off, on the party and they got what they deserved. If she had calmly run for a second referendum instead of trying to rip everything up without a second vote, she might have done better. She lost any chance of my vote, for me she was being undemocratic, despite the fact I voted to remain (not mixing threads btw, this is about the party line she took)

I'm glad she got the proper answer to her arrogance and pig-headedness, and lost her seat. Not on a personal level, I'm sure she's a very nice lady,, nice mom and so on but her approach was humiliating and deserved humiliation in response.

It was a prime time for the Liberals to take over the middle ground and perhaps keep it a while, instead, they are now insignificant to the point, when their caretaker leader is interviewed, or the strange lady who felt it appropriate to let everyone know she was gender neutral (nothing to do with politics and had no place in the debate) you can't help but think 'oh, you are still here'. They are done, apart from perhaps at council level.

They played it very badly, again. They must be the party who have scored own goals the most in the last 20 years surely?

It's a start at least.

yep he's simply dreamy - from the rough and tough streets of Oxted in Surrey, fortunate enough to go to fee paying grammar school (which he no doubt disapproves of now) and Oxbridge.
A knight of the realm millionaire barrister is just the man to put these tory toffs in their place - to be fair he lies better than Jezza and puts a suit on.

ooooooooooh Sir Keir Starmerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wonder where he's been these last few years whilst Corbs was running Labour ?

Last edited:
I thought Swinson was the final nail in the Liberals coffin. She was arrogant, loud in the way she tried to present her arguments and the bollocks to brexit vein that she continued was not proper politics, it was going for the lowest common denominator.

I suspect her problem was that she’s (probably) just an ordinary, run of the mill nice lady, but trying to be forceful at national politics level came across in the way you perceive above rather than actually being arrogant in the Boris category.

Anyway, different thread and she’s dust now!

yep he's simply dreamy - from the rough and tough streets of Oxted in Surrey, fortunate enough to go to fee paying grammar school (which he no doubt disapproves of now) and Oxbridge.
A knight of the realm millionaire barrister is just the man to put these tory toffs in their place - to be fair he lies better than Jezza and puts a suit on.

ooooooooooh Sir Keir Starmerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wonder where he's been these last few years whilst Corbs was running Labour ?

The whole Labour anti-private school thing was a fucking joke, especially as McDonnell and Abbot were both hypocrites as they sent their sons (Abbots criminal son) to them.

I went to a normal school, and my son will do the same. But I have no problem with private schools, as long as they get no more funding or less than public schools I don’t see a problem it’s a free world - if you are wealthy enough to earn that education for your kids that’s capitalism.

Let’s sort out getting pandemics and people living in flammable tower blocks before we worry about schools.

Last edited:
Once Covid recedes into the background for a bit Brexit will loom large again. I probably shouldn't use that word as the deed is now done. What I mean are the various trade negotiations in the offing.Tories are now getting leery over the impact on our farmers and food standards that a deal with the U.S. will entail. Our relations with the Chinese could get interesting also because it looks like we'll be needing deals with them to make up for any lost trade with the E.U.
We live in interesting times.

Brexit - bored of it. Leave the EU, give the leavers what they want. They’re happy now, the majority of leavers won’t understand the detail (and I say majority as I know a lot of intelligent leavers, perhaps one or two on here 😜).

Pay into the EU pot a substantial amount of money no more than what we currently pay, for access to the single market. Agree to mirror laws until a time comes that we can reach an agreement where different rules exist.

What I’m saying isn’t really leaving, it’s actually worse than our current arrangement. But it draws a line under it.

Brexit is becoming less relevant the more we have fears of a global recession, especially in the US. So why would we want a trade deal with the US when they’re going skint?

I really still dont know how the Labour Party allowed itself to get to a state where people in the Northeast turned to the Tory party. When did they realise that Corbyn and Abbot were the biggest stumbling block to anyone taking them seriously.

Corbyn estimated £3 million
Abott

Attachments

• 22148654-7784881-image-m-31_1576149218422.jpg
    22148654-7784881-image-m-31_1576149218422.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 4