The Politics Thread | Page 127 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

I watched a documentary last night about Britains middle class. A really interesting program. One of the facts that came out was that I think he said in 1920 80% of Labour MPs were from working class backgrounds now it is just 8%. Career politicians most of which have been to uni. For the people, really.

Grayling gone, that should save us 350million a week at lest.

Raab in as foreign secretary though :lol: The brexit minister who couldn't back the deal he'd negotiated! That'll work!

It's almost like a who's who of people in the Tory party I can't really stand.

Least bonus - I now have no doubts whatsoever that I'll not be voting Tory at the next one.

Meh. That is how it all leaves me feeling. Meh to the right, meh to the left.

The Labour MP for Dudley had a right go at Corbyn today in PM Q's. Good for him.

If Labour can get themselves organised and rid of Corbyn (is it me or has McDonnell mellowed the last month in a manner implying he wants it himself?) ie a Starmer like figure, they will get a landslide at the next one.

Missed PMQ's sadly - only downside to being out today as thought May's last one might be fiery!

If Swinson can sell a vision (repeating myself) outside of Brexit and environment, if the Libs can't get themselves in front, they could easily annihilate the Tories now for me.

Although granted, not everyone agrees with my line of thinking lol

If Labour can get themselves organised and rid of Corbyn (is it me or has McDonnell mellowed the last month in a manner implying he wants it himself?) ie a Starmer like figure, they will get a landslide at the next one.

Missed PMQ's sadly - only downside to being out today as thought May's last one might be fiery!

If Swinson can sell a vision (repeating myself) outside of Brexit and environment, if the Libs can't get themselves in front, they could easily annihilate the Tories now for me.

Although granted, not everyone agrees with my line of thinking lol

Her final comment was to say she new her time was up and that Corbyn should think about it. Cant remember her exact words.

Agree, they are almost so far off winning an election right now that actually puts them close to winning the next if the main domino finally falls.

The greatest thing that has happened for the Tories in the past decade was Corbyn.

Appreciated astonian. Knew she'd have a dig at him somewhere along the line but not seen any clips of PMQ's yet. Did catch a bit of her final speech at No 10 and I thought it was quite telling that after (obviously) praising Bojo, she very quickly jumped to commenting on his successors as a subtle dig as well.

Agree, they are almost so far off winning an election right now that actually puts them close to winning the next if the main domino finally falls.

The greatest thing that has happened for the Tories in the past decade was Corbyn.
Yup, it just needs a centralist who's actually believable and not beset with Corbyn's self made problems. At this moment in time, Dave/Ed Milliband type would absolutely walk an election - and for me Starmer is their best prospect, although he's undoubtedly not the only one who would throw their hat into the ring. But he might get my vote.

The Tories, as you rightly say, have had no opposition since Corbyn was elected. The main opposition has actually been the SNP and I can't stand Sturgeon, but she's done a good job on Brexit arguments and austerity as has whatshisface in Parliament on her behalf.

For all Momentum/Union efforts to go for a popularist mental Communist they've set Labour back decades. I can only think the appointment of Boris The Bellend has done the same for the Tories.

So that's Lib Dems down to seize the opportunity if they produce a proper vision for the country completely and not just their soundbytes (but they NEED ChangeUK and Greens on side) - unless Labour massively pivot now. As said, even then, the LD's could be strong opposition with the Tories in the position Libs were after the coalition as they lose everyone but their guaranteed seats.

Oh FFS - but not surprising.

Wonder how much Boris Knobhead is now getting from the internal 'expenses' of the ERG being the elected lobbyists that they aren't using taxpayer cash to underwrite their own fuckwittery and private boys club.

I guess de Pfeffel sees his bribe to them (given he's under their thumb) is even more important than the bribe he'll give to the DUP next.

200.webp

Still, who else is there? You can't polish a turd, after all.

Apparently you can.

Fintan O’Toole: Britain’s fate may rest on Boris Johnson’s ability to polish poo

Blessed are the poo-polishers, for they shall see the kingdom of Brexit.
It is worth pointing out that turds really can be polished. In the Discovery Channel’s series Mythbusters, in 2008, the hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman brought in an expert in the Japanese pastime known as dorodango, in which children create spheres of mud, dust them with fine soil and then polish them to a high gloss with a cloth. They tried the technique on ostrich and lion faeces and proved that it also works splendidly on poo.

Alas, I can't give you all a link to the rest as the article is behind a pay wall!