Political "Dick" of the Week | Page 2 | Vital Football

Political "Dick" of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a late contender.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/06/republican-congressman-paul-broun-evolution-video

Good find Mike. Just when you think the UK's politicians are bad the Americans manage to top it.

mike_field - 6/10/2012 21:37

We have a late contender.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/06/republican-congressman-paul-broun-evolution-video

How unbelievable.

Just stunning.

I blush for him. Idiot.

I give you Gideon!

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-10-19/virgin-trains-osborne-was-travelling-on-standard-class-ticket-but-had-no-direct-contact-with-ticket-collector/

What a clever way to allocate his expenses!

Thought QT was dull this week. Liked the booing of those who wanted independence then booing against the one who didn't though!

Very camp!

Not finished it yet mind you. Also thought the drug debate was badly informed.

Oh and at last they are going to do what they should have done 10 years ago (or are they, as ever, not clear) and get rid of the different tariffs or make the companies charge the lowest tariff.

There shouldn't be high and low ones, there should be best price and that is all.

I'd nationalise and run as they are now, but not at quite as much profit, and then what profit is made could be ploughed back into this country.

Half that audience just cheered everything! Swotka was his normal hypocritical self. Just boring.

If you don't finish it I don't think you are missing much.

Can't have primary utilities with shareholders, was a dire invention by Thatcher to privatise that stuff. Could never renationalise now though would cost too much to pay everyone off and we've already flogged the plants and the like to EDF to boot.

Anyway, to top the day off the whip has walked! What a pleb!

How long before said train manager is on gardening leave?

Good PR victory for Brandon mind you given the West Coast farce!

Special mention for his aide really, the Government have just overseen a potentially massive change to employment conditions, and yet tried to argue the toss with a Virgin employee?

Don't forget the Chief Whip has gone Andrew whats is name

I hear he took advice from Miss Whiplash on his position :10:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20044862

This guy has to be the Mother of all dicks. Infact there are no words repeatable or unrepeatable for this 1.

Lord Bichard: Retired people could work for pensions
COMMENTS (2072)
By Brian Wheeler
Political reporter, BBC News

Lord Bichard says fresh thinking is needed to help meet the cost of an ageing population
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Call to reform adult care funding
End of life rethink 'is needed'
Elderly rehab services 'lacking'
Retired people should be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old" or face losing some of their pension, a peer has suggested.

Lord Bichard, a former benefits chief, said "imaginative" ideas were needed to meet the cost of an ageing society.

And although such a move might be controversial, it would stop older people being a "burden on the state".

The peer is a member of a committee investigating demographic changes and their impact on public services.

The panel was told that the transfer of wealth from young to old in the UK was the highest in Europe.

Lord Bichard, a former head of the Benefits Agency and top civil servant at the Education Department, who is probably best known for chairing the 2004 inquiry into the Soham murders, said the debate on rising healthcare and pension costs needed to be broadened out.

"Are there ways in which we could use incentives to encourage older people, if not to be in full time work, to be making a contribution?," he asked the rest of the committee.

"It is quite possible, for example, to envisage a world where civil society is making a greater contribution to the care of the very old, and older people who are not very old could be making a useful contribution to civil society in that respect, if they were given some incentive or some recognition for doing so."

'Tuition fees'
The 65-year-old crossbench peer, who has taken on a number of roles including the vice presidency of the Local Government Association and the chairmanship of a national after-school film club since retiring from the civil service in 2001, suggested the government should use the pensions system to "incentivise" retired people.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The current generation are very heavy contributors to the public purse, whereas previous generations have benefited from the public purse”

Dr James Sefton
Imperial College
"We are now prepared to say to people who are not looking for work, if you don't look for work you don't get benefits, so if you are old and you are not contributing in some way or another maybe there is some penalty attached to that."

He asked: "Are we using all of the incentives at our disposal to encourage older people not just to be a negative burden on the state but actually be a positive part of society?"

Prof Martin Weale, a member of the Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee, said the proposal was "outside the normal range of what is discussed", but added it was an "interesting point".

Asked about his proposal after the meeting, Lord Bichard said it was a new idea but he intended to look into it further as part of his work for the committee.

He acknowledged it would be difficult for politicians to sell to the public, but added: "So was tuition fees."

Childcare
Pensioners' rights campaigners reacted angrily to Lord Bichard's idea.

Dot Gibson, general secretary of the National Pensioners Convention, said: "This amounts to little more than national service for the over 60s and is absolutely outrageous.

"Those who have paid their national insurance contributions for 30 or more years are entitled to receive their state pension and there should be no attempt to put further barriers in their way."

Michelle Mitchell, director general of the charity Age UK, said: "Older people are a hugely positive part of society - over a third of people aged between 65 and 74 volunteer, a percentage that only drops slightly for the over 75s.

"In addition, nearly a million older people provide unpaid care to family or friends saving the state millions of pounds."

She added that almost a third of working age parents rely on grandparents to provide childcare - and more than 900,000 people are working past the traditional retirement age "either because they want to or because they can't afford to retire".

But she added: "We must not forget that retirement is a vastly different experience depending on your personal circumstances. For example, 40% of all people over 65 have a serious longstanding illness and 1.7m of our pensioners live in poverty.

"For many of those, retirement can be an unrelenting struggle of trying to survive on a low income in poor health."

Ros Altmann, director general of Saga, said: "This is a very strange idea indeed. Those who have retired have already made huge contributions to our society and are already the largest group of charity and community volunteers."

'Angry'
Prof James Sefton, of Imperial College, London, a former adviser to the Treasury, told the committee young people were effectively subsidising the older generation - and he could not understand why they were not protesting about it.

"I think they should be angry. I think the deal they are getting is poor," he told the peers.

"There are a lot of transfers going on within the system, from the young towards the old and I think awareness of it is very poor and I think eventually it will come out."

He said research he was carrying out at Imperial College, with Dr David McCarthy, suggested "the current generation are very heavy contributors to the public purse, whereas previous generations have benefited from the public purse".

This was mostly down to high house prices, high youth unemployment, rising public debt and the cost of education, added Prof Sefton, who is also a quantitative analyst at UBS bank.

The older generation benefits from public funds, in the form of healthcare and pensions, but younger people have to rely more on "private transfers" of wealth, such as family money, to a far greater extent than in other European countries, he added.

Erm isn't the point of a pension, especially a State one, that you've already worked for it?

I've a better idea, let's slash the pensions of the MP's, sacks all the Lords and the tosspot civil leaches first.

And quantitative analysts can fuck right off.

Bumper week this week

MP Tim Farron has suggested that football fans should switch their support to non-League clubs because of the high cost of tickets in the Premier League.
The Liberal Democrat President has tabled a motion in the House of Commons following BBC Sport's 2012 Price Of Football survey.

anti disabled Tory Boy!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8583592/Disabled-should-work-for-less-than-minimum-wage-Tory-MP-suggests.html

Philip Davies, the MP for Shipley, claimed the disabled or those with mental health problems were at a disadvantage because they could not offer to work for less money.
Relaxing the law would help some to compete more effectively for jobs in “the real world” in which they are “by definition” less productive than those without disabilities, he claimed.
The remarks stunned MPs on all sides and forced Downing Street to distance the Prime Minister from Mr Davies. Charities and equality campaigners condemned the suggestion as “outrageous”. During a Parliamentary debate, Mr Davies told MPs that the minimum wage of £5.93 per hour meant disabled people who wanted to work found the door being “closed in their face”.

That's 3 for the week and I honestly couldn't pick the most stupidest 1 however the 2 sickest have joint place for me with the elderly and disabled. The football 1 is just plain daft

Easy solution, ban football (too dangerous anyway) kill all the old, think we should set the age at 70 or 80? And obviously put all disabled down at birth and kill anyone who develops an illness.

I guess then you could kill anyone that doesn't fit the leaders exact religion and probably for good measure kill any different coloured babies at birth.

Oh hang on, someone tried that didn't they? What was his name, you know, German, funny moustache! :107:

The Fear - 26/10/2012 02:45

Easy solution, ban football (too dangerous anyway) kill all the old, think we should set the age at 70 or 80? And obviously put all disabled down at birth and kill anyone who develops an illness.

I guess then you could kill anyone that doesn't fit the leaders exact religion and probably for good measure kill any different coloured babies at birth.

Oh hang on, someone tried that didn't they? What was his name, you know, German, funny moustache! :107:

It's not a bad plan. It worked pretty well for Hitler until he got bogged down at Stalingrad.

Status
Not open for further replies.