Political Correctness | Vital Football

Political Correctness

D

Departed

We have discussed this issue in several contexts and I always enjoy the different views we have on this forum.......this, however, is, well,.........interesting....

Appreciation becomes appropriation: Is deeming yoga politically incorrect a complaint too far?

Adrian Humphreys | November 24, 2015 11:48 PM ET

“In the case of something like yoga, it is not possible to return economic control and ownership to the originating culture,” one professor says.

Fotolia“In the case of something like yoga, it is not possible to return economic control and ownership to the originating culture,” one professor says.

Pundits from around the globe weighed in on the death of a yoga class for students at the University of Ottawa over questions of cultural sensitivity, often awkwardly squeezing in “bending over backwards” or “tying themselves in knots” puns in lampooning out-of-control political correctness.

Student yoga joins a long list of art, fashion, music, sports and activities chastised as insensitive or racist acts by a Western or white majority cultural appropriation from minority communities.

Cultural appropriation, as a term, was once largely confined to academic critiques of colonialism, but has become an increasingly popular watchword in social media and among activists.

But is yoga one complaint too far?

It leaves campus administrators, public relations experts and, perhaps, almost everyone else pondering when appreciation became appropriation, mimicry exploitation and cultural interest insult.

Kelly McParland: ‘Appropriating’ cultures is what Canada is all about
Marni Soupcoff: There’s nothing wrong with yoga on campus

University of Ottawa students derided for cancelling yoga classes over fears of cultural appropriation

“Culture is fluid. In order for any cultural group to be a part of a multi-cultural landscape or multi-cultural nation, like Canada or the U.S., there has to be some kind of cultural contribution,” said Susan Scafidi, a law professor at New York’s Fordham University and author of Who Owns Culture?

“How would we recognize Italians if it weren’t for spaghetti — we all make our cultural contributions and the more voluntarily they are the better,” she said of her own heritage.

“In the case of something like yoga, to some extent, the genie is already out of the bottle.”

Clearly, not everyone agrees.

Every few months, a public controversy erupts, some popularly seen as more overtly egregious and confounding than others.

It’s a regular narrative of music award shows.

Kevin Winter/Getty ImagesJennifer Lopez in her DSquaw outfit at the 2015 American Music Awards.

On Sunday, Jennifer Lopez opened the American Music Awards wearing a tribal print outfit and coat with feathers and fur trim — from a collection by Canadian designers Dean and Dan Caten — already criticized for its name, “DSquaw,” using a derogatory name for First Nations women.

In Canada, the most common complaints of cultural appropriation involve First Nations culture.

Costume companies producing highly stereotypical Indian costumes for Halloween provoke annual ire, for instance.

When they go further, offering a female “sexy Indian” costume in the face of the high incidence of sexual abuse of aboriginal women in Canada and the number of missing and murdered aboriginal women, a problem becomes easier to grasp.

Ian “DJ NDN” Campeau, a member of the Ottawa-based electronic music group A Tribe Called Red and a member of Nipissing First Nation, says damage from cultural appropriation is real.

“When a culture is being used by somebody outside of that culture and the benefit of it is not going back to the culture that is being used, that’s cultural appropriation,” he said.

It is not confined to the arts.

Campeau led a campaign against sports team names that use aboriginal terms and stereotypical imagery without having aboriginal roots.

Based in the Ottawa area, he was disappointed the youth football league his daughter would have to join to play was called the Redskins.

His protests led to the name being changed. Then he tackled another local team, the Tomahawks, also since changed. An Arnprior, Ont., school team called the Redmen is under similar scrutiny.

For him, the question is the origins.

“Who named them? The Vikings in Minnesota, the man who named them was of Scandinavian descent,” he said. “

The guy that came up with Fighting Irish was Irish. But the guy who came up with the Redskins was not native, the guy who came up with the Indians was not native, the guy who came up with the Chiefs was not native.

“There’s a big difference.”

Campeau supports the call to refocus yoga.

“You can never be too ‘politically correct,’ as far as I am concerned because it is just showing respect.”

Bruno Schlumberger/PostmediaIan “DJ NDN” Campeau: “You can never be too ‘politically correct’.”

Scafidi says some manifestations are more damaging than others.

“Who’s the source community? Are we talking about WASPs, a group traditionally in power?” she asked. “Are we talking about Vikings, a group that no longer exists? Or are we talking about a living people that has been subject to oppression and discrimination?”

Yoga was brought to the West by gurus from India. Over decades, it morphed into a form of exercise or relaxation without much of the original Hindu spirituality.

“In the case of something like yoga, it is not possible to return economic control and ownership to the originating culture,” said Scafidi.

“It’s spread much too far and become part of too many people’s lives in different ways to say only people who have certain religious observances, growing out of mostly Hinduism, can practise yoga.

“On the other hand, I do see that it might not be entirely comfortable for someone who is a religious practitioner of yoga to go a secular yoga class and hear the namastes at the end.”

National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/appreciation-becomes-appropriation-is-deeming-yoga-politically-incorrect-a-complaint-too-far

It always amazes me that everyone is so careful so as not to offend the Muslims, gays, the disabled, all the different races, and now even Yoga participants. Councils and political organisations and many other bodies bend over backwards to write their organisations policies so as not to be seen to offend anyone.
As a Christian and a 'born again' as we are termed sometimes, I am amazed that the most common swear words and expletives involve the names Jesus, Christ, God, etc. What small and insignificant place the distant references to yoga offer as a threat to anyone, when in strong and heavy vehemence the names of God and Jesus are so often used in daily life. It doesn't offend me particularly because I know the people who mostly use the expletives don't know the God I know and love and so are often ignorant of what they are doing but there is a great anomily here if we are talking of political correctness in such detail.

How politically UNAWARE we are in everyday life when we consider the things we say about the Christian God. I would also say this that the offences against the Christian faith go unnoticed all day long. Let me offer this and you may see what I mean maybe. What would the reaction be if you boldy exclaimed 'MOHAMMED!' when you hit your thumb with a hammer or 'Krishna!' in the middle of the street when you dropped your money all over the floor. It always struck me as strange that people say these things and what disparity and inequality there is in society in these matters.

PC is the death of discourse - younger generations seem to believe even discussing a subject might be verboten.

Anyone else noticed the so-called (newly called) LGBT community are acting up over nothing most days? Usually about transgender people. I find it really annoying, I have absolutely no problem with anybody's sexuality up to and including sex change........I do apologise......Gender re-orientation. grrrrr. BUT do we have to have them kicking off at every opportunity??

Latest moan is that Zoolander 2 includes Cumberbatch as a trans sexual model........which he's not. But then again John Wayne wasn't a cowboy, Bogart wasn't a sleuth and Mel Gibson isn't sane

FFS so what? They interviewed a woman (as far as I know) on R5 who had coached the woman in Corrie about a film no-0ne has seen. Her opinion was divided and confusing - bit like some people's sexuality I guess?

Trans issue seems to be getting vastly disproportionate coverage and in a hugely deferential manner

Just live and let live...stop dictating what is right or wrong. No one is right no one is wrong in day to day life. Wrongs are perpetrating obscenities, crimes and malevolence to anyone else. We are all human beings at the end of the day. Just get on get over it and live...we are only here for a short while, so enjoy and allow other to do so. Debate and disagree without hatred and discrimination if you wish but don't take the morale high ground as it does not or should not exist. Diversity is good so embrace it...differences generate change and variety and should not create anxiety and jealousy and hatred. Allow people to follow what they wish, much of which seems to depend on how they had their tapes written in childhood by parents/community etc and any other influences they choose to embrace or ignore as they grow up ...its all down to what one is exposed to after all.
As long as you never revert to violence or hatred just accept people are different PC should f'off.

We are not clones and have differing values and beliefs...and again as long as you do not let those differences cause pain or hurt to others then that is acceptable.

Political corrctness is not a valid proposition in my mind as it causes unnecesary friction and causes resentment in the community. Having said all that I m not naive and know that the above panaecea is a long way off in our evolution ...PC uhfortunately pushes bad vibes under the carpet after all and solicitors and barristers and media and shit stirrers get rich or get off on the back of it..

Stop trying to convert people from their club to the one you belong to!

Excerpt from a good article on political correctness:

Obviously, my followers on Twitter are not a representative sample of America. But as their largely supportive feelings about political correctness indicate, they are probably a decent approximation for a particular intellectual milieu to which I also belong: politically engaged, highly educated, left-leaning Americans—the kinds of people, in other words, who are in charge of universities, edit the nation’s most important newspapers and magazines, and advise Democratic political candidates on their campaigns.

So the fact that we are so widely off the mark in our perception of how most people feel about political correctness should probably also make us rethink some of our other basic assumptions about the country.

Full article here: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/americans-strongly-dislike-pc-culture