Pogba weighs in on Jose debate | Vital Football

Pogba weighs in on Jose debate

muttley

Alert Team
Today's article on BBC Sport - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56769754

Paul Pogba: Man Utd midfielder critical of Jose Mourinho management style

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba says current boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer "wouldn't go against the players" like former manager Jose Mourinho.

Pogba re-joined United in 2016 for a then-world record £89m when Mourinho was manager at the Old Trafford club.
But the pair fell out by the time Mourinho was sacked in December 2018.

"Once I had a great relationship with Mourinho," Pogba told Sky Sports. "Everybody saw that and the next day you don't know what happened."

The 28-year-old France international added: "That's the strange thing I had with Mourinho and I cannot explain to you because even I don't know."

Pogba helped United win the League Cup and Europa League in 2017 under Mourinho but he was stripped of the vice-captaincy by the Portuguese in September 2018.

He was also an unused substitute in a 3-1 defeat by Liverpool in what turned out to be Mourinho's final game in charge of Manchester United before he was replaced by Solskjaer.

After Mourinho was sacked, a post on Pogba's Twitter account said "caption this", along with a knowing expression on his face, before being deleted.

"What I have now with Ole is different because he wouldn't go against the players," said Pogba.

"Maybe Ole wouldn't pick them, but it's not like he puts them on the side like they don't exist any more. That's the difference between Mourinho and Ole."

Mourinho is now manager of Tottenham, who were beaten 3-1 last Sunday by a United side containing Pogba.

Following the match, Mourinho was unhappy with comments from Solskjaer criticising Spurs forward Son Heung-min.

"I am sure Mourinho said something that made people speak. That's what he does," said Pogba.

"We got the result that we wanted. Ole knows it and we enjoyed that moment.

"We know Mourinho and what he likes. We don't need this. We just focus on us.

"We won the game, he lost the game, and he doesn't want to speak about the game."

He added: "Everybody knows it. It's very Mourinho."

I mentioned this on the Jose stay or go thread I didn't think it was worth starting a new one for every Jose related comment. !!

The piece doesn't include ex pros thoughts on Pogba like Trevor Sinclair

I mentioned this on the Jose stay or go thread I didn't think it was worth starting a new one for every Jose related comment. !!

The piece doesn't include ex pros thoughts on Pogba like Trevor Sinclair

What did Trevor Sinclair say?

As for Pogba, I'm in 2 minds whether a current pro of his senior standing should be making these types of comments. It perhaps exposes Pogba's personality as much as it does Jose. Also, to be so embittered about Jose so long after can't be healthy for a player.

I suppose the new Jose debate is what actually happens if he gets to the brink but his chairman backs him? What happens if he is allowed to churn these players that he doesn't feel have the right attributes and get his own in? Can he grow into this role and build his own winning dynasty?

What did Trevor Sinclair say?

As for Pogba, I'm in 2 minds whether a current pro of his senior standing should be making these types of comments. It perhaps exposes Pogba's personality as much as it does Jose. Also, to be so embittered about Jose so long after can't be healthy for a player.

I suppose the new Jose debate is what actually happens if he gets to the brink but his chairman backs him? What happens if he is allowed to churn these players that he doesn't feel have the right attributes and get his own in? Can he grow into this role and build his own winning dynasty?
muttley where Pogba is concerned I think its plain n simple "bandwagon jumping" and thus getting "air time", just a thought mate.

muttley where Pogba is concerned I think its plain n simple "bandwagon jumping" and thus getting "air time", just a thought mate.

Or is it deeper than that? Is it now a case that multiple parties are starting to attack the older King of the Pride knowing he can't fight back like he used to?

Are we witnessing a scenario where if Jose doesn't win the Carabao Cup then he goes into his 5th year trophyless and more and more people will load on?

I hope for his sake he has some thick skin as I don't see any parties at Spurs giving him any protection.

Or is it deeper than that? Is it now a case that multiple parties are starting to attack the older King of the Pride knowing he can't fight back like he used to?

Are we witnessing a scenario where if Jose doesn't win the Carabao Cup then he goes into his 5th year trophyless and more and more people will load on?

I hope for his sake he has some thick skin as I don't see any parties at Spurs giving him any protection.
Haha you are probably right there muttley, its the....you make your own bed now you lay in it.

Against or defending Jose, all this shows is his pattern for irrational egotistical behaviour with players, yes he'd just lost his Father and some latitude must be given for that, but what was his excuse for the other multiple players and bizarre behaviour towards them the rest of the time?

His behaviour displays an irrationality that behoves anyone, everyone to question his mental state.

I suspect if there is one thing he most definitely still has is a thick skin. And I think he'll always fall back on his winning record. Like he says 'same manager, different players'.

To be honest I would be more interested what the likes of Makelele, Drogba, Zlatan, Schnider, Et'oo etc have to say over Pogpa.

I'd rather they spoke about Jose. Give us some scrap of hope that there is a competent manager in there somewhere. If we didn't know his track record, we'd think he was an absolute rookie in his first 3 years of management.

Whether what Pogba says is true or not, the fact that Pogba has said it says all you need to know about him as a character and a person.
Pogba or Jose?
The thing is with Jose is that you don't hear many of the players who won stuff coming out to coat him.
Maybe it was a different time.
Ten years is an eternity in football.

Pogba or Jose?
The thing is with Jose is that you don't hear many of the players who won stuff coming out to coat him.
Maybe it was a different time.
Ten years is an eternity in football.

I don't think Jose had to moan about the players in his first stint with the chavs.

They had so much ability and were a very strong minded group of players who were all professional.

Easiest job in the world for Jose. He just set the players up and let them do the rest.

I don't think Jose had to moan about the players in his first stint with the chavs.

They had so much ability and were a very strong minded group of players who were all professional.

Easiest job in the world for Jose. He just set the players up and let them do the rest.

Did you read De Bruyne's words on how Jose isolated him at Chelsea, for good?! - genuinely shocking and also highlight two things, his poor judgement and his poor management skills.

Last edited:

As you have said before, no coach has ever divided his player's opinions of him as he has and never ever have so many players come out to say so - which in itself, says it all.

The man is football's equivalent to marmite, which is a poor indictment for the 'greatest of coaches'.