Pochettino gets £120 Million to Spend This Summer ON TOP OF Player Sales | Page 2 | Vital Football

Pochettino gets £120 Million to Spend This Summer ON TOP OF Player Sales

Couple of comments.

The first is about the 21 year old Ruben Neves at Wolves. Whilst Sessegnon has got the attention for his goals and general play, it's Neves playing DCM that is probably the best player in the Championship this season. He sets the tempo, a great passer that never loses possession and isn't afraid to put his foot in. Just look at his bookings count. All in all he's a class act that will look even better as he gets older especially in a top side like Spurs. Closest thing to Carrick I've seen at his age. Don't wait until next season for Neves as we won't be able to afford him. Turn his head now, like Liverpool are already doing. I'd be all in to get both Neves and Sessegnon.

Where I might deviate from the Spurs way of buying talented youngsters with resale value is with the full backs. Trippier and Rose are 28. Seamus Coleman is 29 and never had an opportunity to play in the Champs league. Bertrand, also 28, is the other choice. Let Rose and Trippier leave and let's get 2 guys that are superb crossers of the football and better defenders to the 2 leaving. That still leaves us with Aurier, KWP and Davies plus an opportunity to buy ourselves a year or two to find long term replacements. I'm fed up of moaning about the full backs every week so let's have a year off and buy the finished articles. It's way too important a role in Poch's setup :-)

Onto a controversial one. Fed up of hearing stuff about Maguire, Mawson, Lascelles etc. The 2 most talented young English centre halves are John Stones and Joe Gomez. Now Gomez, at Liverpool, is going nowhere. However, Stones appears surplus at City and I reckon we could get him. He's about to play the best football of his career and can become as good as Vertonghen with the ability at his feet. Now is the time to test them with an offer.

Finally, goalkeepers. We need to be bold and try for Butland or Heaton regardless of having Lloris. Let's put the French number 1 under pressure by bringing in a really strong GK alongside him. I think we'll see Lloris at his best ever if we do that.

OK, one more......let's have a marquee signing for our new stadium. Someone that gets you off your expensive seat !!!

That Neves scores some wonder goals. Haven't seen much else off him though.

Burnely have 2 decent keepers. Wouldn't mind either as back up.

Wanyama on his way according to reports today ?

Rose, Toby, Wanyama, Dembele all to leave apparently.

I think we certainly need a shake up, if we're serious about getting rid of those players though we need to buy a couple of serious established names and not rely on a £30m player to 'come good'.

I thought it was unrealistic but I think we should go all out for Bale.

Couple of comments.

The first is about the 21 year old Ruben Neves at Wolves. Whilst Sessegnon has got the attention for his goals and general play, it's Neves playing DCM that is probably the best player in the Championship this season. He sets the tempo, a great passer that never loses possession and isn't afraid to put his foot in. Just look at his bookings count. All in all he's a class act that will look even better as he gets older especially in a top side like Spurs. Closest thing to Carrick I've seen at his age. Don't wait until next season for Neves as we won't be able to afford him. Turn his head now, like Liverpool are already doing. I'd be all in to get both Neves and Sessegnon.

Where I might deviate from the Spurs way of buying talented youngsters with resale value is with the full backs. Trippier and Rose are 28. Seamus Coleman is 29 and never had an opportunity to play in the Champs league. Bertrand, also 28, is the other choice. Let Rose and Trippier leave and let's get 2 guys that are superb crossers of the football and better defenders to the 2 leaving. That still leaves us with Aurier, KWP and Davies plus an opportunity to buy ourselves a year or two to find long term replacements. I'm fed up of moaning about the full backs every week so let's have a year off and buy the finished articles. It's way too important a role in Poch's setup :-)

Onto a controversial one. Fed up of hearing stuff about Maguire, Mawson, Lascelles etc. The 2 most talented young English centre halves are John Stones and Joe Gomez. Now Gomez, at Liverpool, is going nowhere. However, Stones appears surplus at City and I reckon we could get him. He's about to play the best football of his career and can become as good as Vertonghen with the ability at his feet. Now is the time to test them with an offer.

Finally, goalkeepers. We need to be bold and try for Butland or Heaton regardless of having Lloris. Let's put the French number 1 under pressure by bringing in a really strong GK alongside him. I think we'll see Lloris at his best ever if we do that.

OK, one more......let's have a marquee signing for our new stadium. Someone that gets you off your expensive seat !!!
Good post, my only comments would be about Stones. I would imagine wages might be a problem at the moment, he would also cost a small fortune I would imagine. Losing Toby to injury was a major blow this season, Stones would cost £50m plus. I'm not sure CB is where we need to spend that kind of money.
As for our GK problem, would either of those two come to us?

Rose, Toby, Wanyama, Dembele all to leave apparently.

I think we certainly need a shake up, if we're serious about getting rid of those players though we need to buy a couple of serious established names and not rely on a £30m player to 'come good'.

I thought it was unrealistic but I think we should go all out for Bale.

I wouldn't touch Bale with a bargepole - he is now a walking medical basket case - and that's unlikely to change.

And yes, unless things radically alter I think we have a great shot at getting Gomes - he's defintely coming to the premier league next season, it's just a bun fight between us and two other clubs, of that I'm 100% certain.

Barca fans tend to think Gomes is shit on the whole...
Seen some say he's far worse than Paulinho.
Most want him gone and despair when he's picked. He's been jeered by his own fans a few times and has even said how hard it is to leave home when he faces so much criticism.
edit: link to interview
https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...-his-silence-in-a-revealing-interview-6683511

Now maybe their bar is higher than ours but as people who watch him week in week out it sounds like he has a lot of developing to do before he'd be Dembele's replacement.

Last edited:
Couple of comments.

Bigger clubs were in for him when he went there. It's a dodgy deal involving his agent Mendes and Wolves chairman being business partners. Was also most expensive signing ever in the championship and they're coming up so no chance we'd get him cheaply. He's captained a side in the CL and was one of the hottest prospects in Europe, not like he's a relatively unknown championship player.

Think he'd be a fantastic signing but sounds like Mendes and Liverpool have been negotiating since he joined Wolves.

We'd probably have a shot if we were prepared to sign a couple of other Mendes clients we didn't necessarily want - seems to be how he operates lately.

I wouldn't touch Bale with a bargepole - he is now a walking medical basket case - and that's unlikely to change.

Certainly a risk but I think it would give the whole club a massive boost. He's been fit for quite a while now but Madrid just ain't playing him. I'd be confident we could manage him well, even if we were to get 30 games out of him a season he could make the difference IMO. Having him and Kane up top would be frightening and if Kane were ever to be injured he would be perfect replacement. Risk worth taking IMO

Good post, my only comments would be about Stones. I would imagine wages might be a problem at the moment, he would also cost a small fortune I would imagine. Losing Toby to injury was a major blow this season, Stones would cost £50m plus. I'm not sure CB is where we need to spend that kind of money.
As for our GK problem, would either of those two come to us?

Topspur - when you look at some of the Homegrown keepers, you see the following:

Hart - unwanted at his parent club
Foster - relegated with Baggies?
Forster / McCarthy - relegated with Saints?
Butland - relegated with Stoke?
Heaton / Pope - fighting for one shirt
Johnstone - out of contract at Utd / currently on loan at Villa

My logic is about using one of the homegrown allocation for a backup keeper so we can have non-homegrown in other positions in the squad. Heaton and Butland are the best 2 in my opinion.

As for Stones, normally a club would reduce wages by giving a player a large signing on fee. I do get you point though. It would take a player trade (Toby, Rose etc) to make the transfer happen as we'd never pay £50m straight cash for Stones. I just think he'd find his best football with us.

Topspur - when you look at some of the Homegrown keepers, you see the following:

Hart - unwanted at his parent club
Foster - relegated with Baggies?
Forster / McCarthy - relegated with Saints?
Butland - relegated with Stoke?
Heaton / Pope - fighting for one shirt
Johnstone - out of contract at Utd / currently on loan at Villa

My logic is about using one of the homegrown allocation for a backup keeper so we can have non-homegrown in other positions in the squad. Heaton and Butland are the best 2 in my opinion.

As for Stones, normally a club would reduce wages by giving a player a large signing on fee. I do get you point though. It would take a player trade (Toby, Rose etc) to make the transfer happen as we'd never pay £50m straight cash for Stones. I just think he'd find his best football with us.
Foster might be a good shout, he is certainly better than Vorm. I just think the others would be looking for first team football.

If we get 50m for Toby which he is easily worth, I reckon Muttley is right, we could probably get Stones. Him and Jan together would be a nice footballing CB combo. We would certainly need some steel in front of them though.

I rate Sanchez more than Stones although both have bags of potential. Would make a nice trio with Jan tbh.

Read a BBC article today trying to justify Joe Hart going to the world cup over Pope, in the article they point out that Pope has the 2nd highest save percentage of any keeper in the league and 5th highest in any major European league. Considering he's also 26 and I've been impressed when I've seen him play I'd love for us to go for him as competition/potential successor for Hugo.

Andres Iniesta is available on a free, does anyone think he could do a job for us. I think he would be a great option to Eriksen, surely he is still good enough for 60 to 70 minutes, he could well help us to get over the line in tight games

I rate Sanchez more than Stones although both have bags of potential. Would make a nice trio with Jan tbh.

Read a BBC article today trying to justify Joe Hart going to the world cup over Pope, in the article they point out that Pope has the 2nd highest save percentage of any keeper in the league and 5th highest in any major European league. Considering he's also 26 and I've been impressed when I've seen him play I'd love for us to go for him as competition/potential successor for Hugo.

Would be an interesting trio combo. Sanchez has the pace to cover them two which would let them play to their strength's. Before the injuries hit us Poch clearly wanted to play with Toby, Sanchez, Verts. So he still maybe thinking that way just without Toby.

Hart is done. The mistakes he makes now he can't be considered. Pope all day everyday. Agree Pope should be on our radar. Some good keepers around who we could realistically get.

Andres Iniesta is available on a free, does anyone think he could do a job for us. I think he would be a great option to Eriksen, surely he is still good enough for 60 to 70 minutes, he could well help us to get over the line in tight games

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He still has it. I would welcome him here. Class act.