Pochettino gets £120 Million to Spend This Summer ON TOP OF Player Sales | Vital Football

Pochettino gets £120 Million to Spend This Summer ON TOP OF Player Sales

D

Departed

Tottenham transfer plans in motion with Mauricio Pochettino set to spend £120m
It is understood that Jamaal Lascelles and Ajax’s Matthijs de Ligt have particularly impressed the club while Wilfried Zaha, Jonny Evans and Jay Rodriguez are also being considered

facebook.png

twitter.png

email.png

blank.gif

Click to follow
The Independent Sport
mauricio-pochettino.jpg
Mauricio Pochettino already has new additions in mind ahead of the summer window Getty
Mauricio Pochettino will have a budget of at least £120m to upgrade his Tottenham Hotspur team in the summer, as he primarily seeks players in central defence and attacking positions.
That amount will likely be boosted by the possible sale of Toby Alderweireld, creating that need for another centre-half, but the Argentine’s plans are already set and in motion.
It is understood that Newcastle United’s Jamaal Lascelles and Ajax’s 18-year-old Matthijs de Ligt - a former teammate of Davinson Sanchez - have particularly impressed the club for the defensive positions.
harry-kane-toby-alderweireld.jpg

Akderweireld's expected sale will boost funds further (Getty)
jamaal-lascelles.jpg

Lascelles is understood to have impressed club scouts this season (Getty)
zaha.jpg

Palace's Zaha is a long-term target (Getty)
Pochettino also wants to give more unpredictability and depth to his attack, with Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha a long-time target. The relegation of West Brom could also provide opportunities for deals as Jonny Evans is set to leave for a cut-price deal, and Pochettino has previously worked with Jay Rodriguez at Southampton. The latter’s injury record may be an issue, however.
Spurs are meanwhile said to be relaxed about Mousa Dembele’s contract situation and the midfield position, and there remains the possibility that he will extend for another year although China is also an option.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gt-zaha-evans-rodriguez-dembele-a8312111.html

So we're buying centre halves and unpredictable forwards even though our full backs are the weakest part of the squad. Go figure

Afraid I'd take this figure with a pinch of salt, my own view based on our results and our current financial performance is that it's closer to around £75mill and perhaps more depending on player sales.

As for the target players - there is a long list of players we've shown interest in and are still tracking and/or sounded out - perhaps even more than just that.

You'd do as well as to pick a 20 long 'interest' list - as it currently stands that's closer to the truth of most of these player rumours - so much depends on relegation and Champions league finishing spots across europe and even here...until the dust settles at the end of the season - then that 20 odd list will become 10...with alturnatives if we can't get out first picks..

If that’s his list, Zaha aside - although we don’t need him now - he can pack his bags now.

Who would you buy ? And be realistic. :bounce:

All depends on whom we sell.

I would look at Sess and Rico Henry for the LWB options. I'm not sure on Henry's injury problem though. He was out for the season. I like Grimaldo of Benfica he would be a first team quality.

I would sell Aurier instantly. Dumb ass. I would sell Tripps if we could get an up grade. He doesn't have a winners mentality. I would certainly promote KWP. I liked the look of Ricardo Pereira last season. Not sure about his form this season though. I could live with Tripps and KWP though.

CB's, if Toby goes we will have to spend some money. I know you rate Mawson, I still haven't seen enough of him. But I like the look of Ake. He is quite small though. Sakho could be a decent signing for some experience.

With our CM's/DM's broken or not good enough I feel we need to sign one. Doucoure should be on the list along with that Leicester lad Ndidi.

I would sell Lamela now, he has had his chance and hasn't progressed. So I would look at a young up and coming AM. Meyer, Halilovic or Coric.

I would certainly sell Llorente. Look to sign an up and coming striker. Like Tammy Abra or promote Kaza.

The only player I want us to get is Gomes, he'll transform our midfield and we can then sell Dembele.

Gomes has the passing ability with good vision. I need to see more of him before I make a real opinion on him. From what I have seen he looks light weight.

Gomes has the passing ability with good vision. I need to see more of him before I make a real opinion on him. From what I have seen he looks light weight.

RD, don't compare him to Dembo - he doesn't have his body strength, but with his vision, skill and creativity and most of all his attacking intent, he's a far better player for us - quick feet, one touch passing rather than constant blind alley running will transform our central midfield.

Gomes, damn good shout! Totally concur.

We absolutely NEED to find another quality striker, here we go again! If Kane stays, great but when he eventually twists his ankle or needs rest...

I honestly think we need to find some guys who can grind games out when things go sideways. A tougher spine.

RD, don't compare him to Dembo - he doesn't have his body strength, but with his vision, skill and creativity and most of all his attacking intent, he's a far better player for us - quick feet, one touch passing rather than constant blind alley running will transform our central midfield.

Do you think we will sign him?

I would like to see a tempo setter next to Wana and a new CM/DM like Doucoure. I was hoping Winks would be that guy but he is made of glass.

Gomes, damn good shout! Totally concur.

We absolutely NEED to find another quality striker, here we go again! If Kane stays, great but when he eventually twists his ankle or needs rest...

I honestly think we need to find some guys who can grind games out when things go sideways. A tougher spine.

To be fair a spine of in form and fit players Hugo, Toby, Verts, Wana, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Kane is pretty much as strong as we will get. IMO that spine is the strongest in the entire league and possibly Europe.

Do you think we will sign him?

I would like to see a tempo setter next to Wana and a new CM/DM like Doucoure. I was hoping Winks would be that guy but he is made of glass.

Jeez, you're harsh - Winks has a dreadful ankle injury, and hasn't recovered well from the op, but that doesn't make him made of glass.

And yes, unless things radically alter I think we have a great shot at getting Gomes - he's defintely coming to the premier league next season, it's just a bun fight between us and two other clubs, of that I'm 100% certain.

Get Victor back to his best (this season has been a write off) and I don't think we need another DM, as Poch seems to have settled with Dier in that role - even if I disagree with it.

Last edited:
1/2

If we are playing this game we really have to look at the first eleven and the squad. The step to pushing out first eleven players has to be smaller. Not sure what a player had to do this season to remove: Loris Trippier and Aurier, Kane at various stages this season, that can't be right. Prolonged dips in form have to be the only metric to start games. Then there's the kinds of players we recruit
Let's call them tier one and two players,tier one being first team ready able to displace a direct starter (for me Victor Wanyama was our last buy of this type) at his best he can equal or better Dier. Tier two are preferably young potential for vast improvement and elite development scope. Let's go for Eriksen as the example as I don't want to upset Rich by using Lamela (though he was considered exactly this on purchase.
Next post is my list

1/2

If we are playing this game we really have to look at the first eleven and the squad. The step to pushing out first eleven players has to be smaller. Not sure what a player had to do this season to remove: Loris Trippier and Aurier, Kane at various stages this season, that can't be right. Prolonged dips in form have to be the only metric to start games. Then there's the kinds of players we recruit
Let's call them tier one and two players,tier one being first team ready able to displace a direct starter (for me Victor Wanyama was our last buy of this type) at his best he can equal or better Dier. Tier two are preferably young potential for vast improvement and elite development scope. Let's go for Eriksen as the example as I don't want to upset Rich by using Lamela (though he was considered exactly this on purchase.
Next post is my list

2/2

ONE: Michael Antonio (This to me is a no brainer. He has stalled at West ham but he was on a steep up curve. His versatility is a massive plus, a better attacking mid wide or centre than Sissoko better character can play Rb better than the two we have and is better at rush C.F. now than Lorente. Get him in early Levy he is a Poch improvement project in waiting

Stefan de Vrij:Lots of competition but a player ready made to replace Toby.Available on a free so he'd come in at the top end of our wage structure.

Ryan Bertrand our fitness team will turn him into what he is... the closest thing to the old Danny Rose available 28 older than we like but cheap if/when Saints go down.

Andre Gomes;There's a fine player here waiting to reboot his career another no brainer. Another for whom competition will be fierce.

TWO
Ryan sessegnon
Not a lot to say here massive prospect I'm hoping Fulham don't go up to give us any chance at all.

Ante Coric
It's a case of when we lose Eriksen the up side is that may be a way to sell us to Ante. I've watched this lad under a good coach he has the gifts to become very very special. A spurs side with Coric and Sessingnon is pretty much a wet dream.

I think the players I've gone for have the ability to keep us where we are and the potential to make us better in a very short time. I've avoided going for crazy targets. And have not addresses the Gk or Kane understudy. Rome was not built in a day.