Poch thinks we should have won... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Poch thinks we should have won...

As I have said for the last few years, he is a good manager but lets get it right he has had some top players at his disposal over the last 4 seasons. Not like he has had Martin Jols squad.

If we dont win anything with the squad he has its a failure.

We conceded from 2 set pieces and I don't remember Toby or Jan being culpable. They both rated well from various sources. Toby was singled out for his positioning and composure plus diagonals. Jan was pushing out from defence trying to get something going because he knew Dembele was ineffective on his own. Jan was helping Davies out also on the left.
I think you need to have a look at both goals again Nick, Verts was at fault for the first. He dropped back as the free kick was being taken leaving Deeney free, for the second Toby rushed to attack the corner and got his run completely wrong.
I've watched the goals several times and I can't draw any other conclusion, I'm sure they will know. They are both class and they will be determined not to make those mistakes again.

I think you need to have a look at both goals again Nick, Verts was at fault for the first. He dropped back as the free kick was being taken leaving Deeney free, for the second Toby rushed to attack the corner and got his run completely wrong.
I've watched the goals several times and I can't draw any other conclusion, I'm sure they will know. They are both class and they will be determined not to make those mistakes again.

There will be nominated markers for the danger players in the box and If Verts was on Deeney fair enough but that's not who I saw closest to him actually hands on and let him advance forward. The fact Toby attacked the ball in suggests he was not marking anyone , he only just missed the header, may have skimmed it . At that pace a whipped in corner with swerve and dip is not easy to judge. So I can cut him some slack. However , giving away stupid free kicks and not staying with your marked man is Demboesque.

Players will always give away free kicks, conceding two goals from headers at set pieces is the real problem IMO, we really shouldn't get too carried away with this defeat. I read that it is the first time in 43 PL game that we have lost from a winning position, when all is said and done that is not a bad record.

Players will always give away free kicks, conceding two goals from headers at set pieces is the real problem IMO, we really shouldn't get too carried away with this defeat. I read that it is the first time in 43 PL game that we have lost from a winning position, when all is said and done that is not a bad record.

Dembo often gives away needless free kicks in danger areas.

I have watched again. Kane lost Deeney after having his hands on him for the first and Dembo let his man go for the second. Kane and Dembele were closest to the scorers but failed to stop them getting a head to it .

I have watched again. Kane lost Deeney after having his hands on him for the first and Dembo let his man go for the second. Kane and Dembele were closest to the scorers but failed to stop them getting a head to it .
I'm looking at now Nick and while you are right about Kane briefly having his hand on him that only happens because Deeney was allowed a free run, as far as I can see Deeney only got that space because Verts dropped off. If I'm wrong my question would be who was Verts marking and why did he drop off.
For the 2nd one you can clearly see Toby getting under it and the ball skimming his head.

Interesting point. Do Toby and Vert mark anyone? Or are they told to attack the ball as are so proficient at it ? Will be worth watching in future. Maybe they agree who will attack and who will mark. If Toby did get a skim to the ball he and we were unlucky because we are talking very fine margins between diverting the ball away and not affecting it's path.

thanks... I made the point earlier I couldn't remember the last time we'd surrendered a losing position in the league because everyone was saying "same old Poch, same old Spurs" and I thought "hold on, we almost never bloody do that".