Poch thinks we should have won... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Poch thinks we should have won...

Pitching only Dembele against a physical midfield with Doucoure / Capoue etc and co was naive

3 at the back at Watford...Davies LWB. 4 at the back at Old Trafford....Rose LB. Which way round would you play the left backs?

No subs until after the 80th minute....go figure !!!

Declining something like 50 opportunities to sling a cross in. Playing so much backwards and sideways football that allowed the opposition to always get bodies behind the ball.

As bad a day at the office for Poch as possible. Blame anything or anyone but himself is simply stupid. He got it totally wrong and needs to learn from it.

I'm sure I saw a stat on MOTD that we put in over 30 crosses and only 5 were classed as successful.

Wasn't a great stat.

I'm sure I saw a stat on MOTD that we put in over 30 crosses and only 5 were classed as successful.

Wasn't a great stat.

It's been an issue at Spurs for as long as Poch has been at the club. He has stifled every full back he has managed. Said this many times, but they are scared of crossing and losing possession and getting hit on the counter. They should stop playing 5-a-side in training and start spending the hours practicing crossing the ball. We've seen with Aurier at Newcastle and Eriksen at OT what can happen when we take the first opportunity to get the ball across.

Also gonna be interesting to see how Rose and Trips can get their heads around what Southgate wants them to do this coming week. It's the complete opposite of what Poch drills into them. In the summer Trips found it completely natural and got worldwide recognition for his crossing and assists. Mid-season he might just do the Spurs thing and play it backwards to Hendo. Then every one will be scratching their heads and asking what happened to him !!!

Dembele was outgunned in midfield ,he needed Dier alongside him to protect the back 4.Leave Sanchez on the bench, Poch, & let Belgium's top duo of Toby & Verts defend without Sanchez & Kane getting in their way.Rose must be first choice left back as so many teams play counter-attck against us & Davies is too slow to get back. It's really not rocket science !

I know this is simplistic but if you had to have a punch up with Troy Deeney I think I choose Davinson Sanchez over Toby or Jan who are better footballers think this was a game for Sanchez. I'd also want Eric Dier strange choices the boss made

Point being Sanchez was not on Deeney. Who would you guys say is our best header if the ball? As I honestly don't know...:unsure:

Point being Sanchez was not on Deeney. Who would you guys say is our best header if the ball? As I honestly don't know...:unsure:

Dier, Dele and Kane in that order. Verts is also up there.

Defensive header possibly Toby as positioning and reading the game is key. Verts maybe ? Kane does head away set pieces quite regularly but let Deeney go for the first goal .

The way I read poch's words is that he warned the team not to believe the hype being put their way, and that they obviously ignored him . . Therefore ,he says , it serves them right and its nobodies fault but themselves . Their perception was swallowed by reality , and if he really didn't mind if the club sold any of the first team squad because he would be happy to replace them with the under 23 s , then I think they had better start bucking a few ideas up .
Being brave .......how brave is he ?

Wasn't a great stat.

Not exactly sure why we are attempting 30 crosses anyway...talk about one dimensional and predictable!

We need to become more dynamic and quickly. To me that is where Winks can help us and Lamela off the bench does this as well. They facilitate a more direct attack which I think makes us MUCH more dangerous

Not exactly sure why we are attempting 30 crosses anyway...talk about one dimensional and predictable!

We need to become more dynamic and quickly. To me that is where Winks can help us and Lamela off the bench does this as well. They facilitate a more direct attack which I think makes us MUCH more dangerous

For most of the Watford game it didn't actually matter. Whether we broke through the middle or in a wide area, we always slowed down and allowed them to get the bodies back behind the ball. We may have had 30 crosses, but most were either too late or didn't beat the first man.

Lamela and Mouras' runs through the middle and Aurier and Eriksen's wide runs with early crosses are probably our best moments this season. We need to try and hold onto those moments and instil more of that into the side.

Defensive header possibly Toby as positioning and reading the game is key. Verts maybe ? Kane does head away set pieces quite regularly but let Deeney go for the first goal .

Never thought of heading as one of Toby's strong points to be honest. Both he and Verts are cultured defenders and read the game brilliantly but neither are excellent in the air. Vert slightly taller iirc. Dier is better than both in the air but obviously doesn't read the game as well in other areas.

I think Lamela ,Moura,Rose,Winks & Aurier would have given us pace to get through & behind the Watford defence.Davies,Dembele,Kane,Trippier are good players but too slow for counter-attacks.Harry looks like he didn't have a long enough summer break.Poch needs to manage his players better.

Out of 23 signings by Poch, only 7 have been hits and some may dispute Dier who is included. 7 are complete flops and 9 are either development or average.

Poch gets praised by the media and fans as one of the dynamic young managers. His signings are debatable, his youth conversion into first team is it that great ? , his tactics, team selection, substitutions, lack of a trophy , stubbornness in not playing out of favour players like Toby and Rose are all open to question.

Is he really as good as we think ? To make basic errors against Watford provokes these questions. Could Pep or Jose, Klopp, Bielsa, etc get a better tune out of our players ?

Mistakes will be made...my main concern is our ability to overcome those mistakes, or to make a change to course correct on the fly.

Didn’t see the game so I just have some general observations...Amos was great in MF in the pre-season...I predicted we wouldn’t see him once the season started, same for the other youngster...maybe they will feature as starters sometime but where are they when MF has been the weakest part of our team for months.

Then I ask what exactly does Poch drill into the players in terms of situational awareness....we have never coped well when teams aggressively press usually just punting the ball upfield to no one or make a suicide back- pass....City have a plan to break the press, the players know where the teammates should be and pss their way out...it is obviously something they practice in training....similarly when they attack the opposition box they have passing strategies to beat the blockade and get shots on goal....we seem to rely on moments of individual brilliance.

In summary, so much of our play, with the exception of the backward side to side passing borefest seems to be disjointed, with terrible passing attempts and a lack of anticipation and movement almost as if they never practice anything other fitness training. It’s no good Poch saying the players have to improve their mentality, he needs to start training them and showing them how to win.

Poch gets praised by the media and fans as one of the dynamic young managers. His signings are debatable, his youth conversion into first team is it that great ? , his tactics, team selection, substitutions, lack of a trophy , stubbornness in not playing out of favour players like Toby and Rose are all open to question.

Is he really as good as we think ? To make basic errors against Watford provokes these questions. Could Pep or Jose, Klopp, Bielsa, etc get a better tune out of our players ?

As I have said for the last few years, he is a good manager but lets get it right he has had some top players at his disposal over the last 4 seasons. Not like he has had Martin Jols squad.

Is he really as good as we think ?

Yes. He's not perfect, but just because we lost to Watford I'm not going to suddenly change my stance on his abilities. He has shortcomings, all managers do, but I wouldn't swap him for any of the names you mentioned.

Give Poch and Pep unlimited budgets I'd imagine Pep might come out on top. Give Pep our budget who knows what he'd produce.

Yes. He's not perfect, but just because we lost to Watford I'm not going to suddenly change my stance on his abilities. He has shortcomings, all managers do, but I wouldn't swap him for any of the names you mentioned.

Give Poch and Pep unlimited budgets I'd imagine Pep might come out on top. Give Pep our budget who knows what he'd produce.

Losing to Watford is not the reason I asked. The reasons or doubts are in the post.