Poch thinks we should have won... | Vital Football

Poch thinks we should have won...

Spursex

Alert Team
Mauricio Pochettino: 'Painful' Watford loss is a wake-up call for Tottenham

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-watford-loss-is-a-wakeup-call-a3925841.html

Mauricio Pochettino believes his Tottenham side should have beaten Watford if they are to be considered contenders for the Premier League title and says their 2-1 loss was a "wake-up call".

Spurs made a real early-season statement with a 3-0 demolition of Manchester United on Monday night to make it three wins from three, but they could not follow it up as the Hornets deservedly beat them at Vicarage Road.

The visitors went in front early in the second half when Abdoulaye Doucoure scored an own goal, but headers from Troy Deeney and Craig Cathcart in the space of seven minutes turned it around for the hosts, who have won their first four league games of a season for the first time since 1988.

Pochettino had warned his side there was a bump in the road coming if they believed their own hype and his words came true as they defended poorly from set-pieces and barely caused any threat of their own.

"It is so painful to concede two goals like this, it is so painful because the first half looked like a friendly game," Pochettino said.

"I am very disappointed, very disappointed because if you want to be a contender...it is so difficult to understand because I thought we controlled the game in the first 45 minutes.

"We conceded two goals that if you want to be a contender you cannot concede.

"It is the beginning and it is a very good wake-up call for everyone and to listen more because people talk about the perception and not the reality.

"This is good to compare, some people talk about perceptions but the reality was on the pitch.

"The reality is if you want to be a contender today we should win and win easy because everything was ready to win the game. That is very painful, but I am not upset.

"We need to show more respect to this competition, we need to compete much, much better.
(REUTERS)
"It is difficult for me to understand because for four years we were a contender.

"You need to show respect because to compete to win it is not easy, the Premier League is so, so tough.

"That is why after the third game because we beat Manchester United and the circumstances that we beat them, we need to be more cautious.

"And I think that is good today to feel the pain it will help us for the future to be better.

"I was very, very disappointed and my message is you need to go there like a lion and try to score in every single action."

Mauricio Pochettino: 'Painful' Watford loss is a wake-up call for Tottenham

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-watford-loss-is-a-wakeup-call-a3925841.html

Mauricio Pochettino believes his Tottenham side should have beaten Watford if they are to be considered contenders for the Premier League title and says their 2-1 loss was a "wake-up call".

Spurs made a real early-season statement with a 3-0 demolition of Manchester United on Monday night to make it three wins from three, but they could not follow it up as the Hornets deservedly beat them at Vicarage Road.

The visitors went in front early in the second half when Abdoulaye Doucoure scored an own goal, but headers from Troy Deeney and Craig Cathcart in the space of seven minutes turned it around for the hosts, who have won their first four league games of a season for the first time since 1988.

Pochettino had warned his side there was a bump in the road coming if they believed their own hype and his words came true as they defended poorly from set-pieces and barely caused any threat of their own.

"It is so painful to concede two goals like this, it is so painful because the first half looked like a friendly game," Pochettino said.

"I am very disappointed, very disappointed because if you want to be a contender...it is so difficult to understand because I thought we controlled the game in the first 45 minutes.

"We conceded two goals that if you want to be a contender you cannot concede.

"It is the beginning and it is a very good wake-up call for everyone and to listen more because people talk about the perception and not the reality.

"This is good to compare, some people talk about perceptions but the reality was on the pitch.

"The reality is if you want to be a contender today we should win and win easy because everything was ready to win the game. That is very painful, but I am not upset.

"We need to show more respect to this competition, we need to compete much, much better.
(REUTERS)
"It is difficult for me to understand because for four years we were a contender.

"You need to show respect because to compete to win it is not easy, the Premier League is so, so tough.

"That is why after the third game because we beat Manchester United and the circumstances that we beat them, we need to be more cautious.

"And I think that is good today to feel the pain it will help us for the future to be better.

"I was very, very disappointed and my message is you need to go there like a lion and try to score in every single action."

Nice words but as he said the reality is on the pitch....it’s interesting to note that the Watford manager and his predecessor now at Everton didn’t need 4 years to get their sides playing like they know what they are doing...perhaps Poch needs to look in the mirror.

Pitching only Dembele against a physical midfield with Doucoure / Capoue etc and co was naive

3 at the back at Watford...Davies LWB. 4 at the back at Old Trafford....Rose LB. Which way round would you play the left backs?

No subs until after the 80th minute....go figure !!!

Declining something like 50 opportunities to sling a cross in. Playing so much backwards and sideways football that allowed the opposition to always get bodies behind the ball.

As bad a day at the office for Poch as possible. Blame anything or anyone but himself is simply stupid. He got it totally wrong and needs to learn from it.

Same old spurs ,slow, ineffective and second to the ball. Kane and eriksen did not bother to turn up and deli needs to get rid of the ball sooner and stop passing to the other side. Come on you spurs don't believe the hype.

Nice words but as he said the reality is on the pitch....it’s interesting to note that the Watford manager and his predecessor now at Everton didn’t need 4 years to get their sides playing like they know what they are doing...perhaps Poch needs to look in the mirror.

Didn't remember Watford finishing above us under the predecessor?

Poch is not known for learning from his mistakes.

Hopefully he has improved as a coach. He really needs to learn something and fix something from this disaster. Like a plane crash. It all can’t be in vien. Stop gaps have to be in place to prevent reoccurrence.

We paid the price of 3 points, so let’s use this as an opportunity to fix what should’ve been fixed before this match.

From the outside looking in, most of us saw the school boy errors from coach and players, which is unforgivable at this level with so much at stake.

So learn, fix it up and move on. Do nothing, and we’ll be embarrassed by Liverpiss.

Also don't remember Watford tearing the league apart and causing carnage to other teams plans .
Unless they are going to do a Leicester this season ,I don't think their bubble will last a lot longer

They're riding the crest of a huge wave of good results going back to last season.

They've bought and sold well, and have a simple system - but most of all I'm so impressed at how they now all look so fighting fit; something that you'd never say of a Watford team in the past.

It showed when they didn't crumble after going behind which they so often did against a team that were dominating them - if anything they raised their game, upped the tempo forced errors and hurt us physically and we didn't know how to respond.

Quite frankly Toby and Vert were made to look like rank amateurs against their basic attacking strengths.

So, in short, I think there bubble isn't going to burst too soon - every season we have one team that surprises us and hangs in and around the top 6 where they really shouldn't be; this season it looks like Watford.

If Poch has any brain whatsoever he would instruct each and every team member to skip that god awful 'Nations League' due to minor injuries.

We simply can not allow any of our players to go play a stupid, meaningless, friendly international tournament less than 2 months after the WC.

Bonkers.

Never change a winning formula,switching to 3 centre backs & 2 slow wing backs played right into their hands. We needed Dier & Dembele sitting in front of the back 4 .3 centre backs get in each other's way plus Kane & others standing in the box so no-one knew who was marking who_Our slow wing backs were constantly being caught out of position.Verts & Toby do fine on their own in the box it's chaos & confusion that let Watford score with 2 easy headers.

They're riding the crest of a huge wave of good results going back to last season.

They've bought and sold well, and have a simple system - but most of all I'm so impressed at how they now all look so fighting fit; something that you'd never say of a Watford team in the past.

It showed when they didn't crumble after going behind which they so often did against a team that were dominating them - if anything they raised their game, upped the tempo forced errors and hurt us physically and we didn't know how to respond.

Quite frankly Toby and Vert were made to look like rank amateurs against their basic attacking strengths.

So, in short, I think there bubble isn't going to burst too soon - every season we have one team that surprises us and hangs in and around the top 6 where they really shouldn't be; this season it looks like Watford.

We conceded from 2 set pieces and I don't remember Toby or Jan being culpable. They both rated well from various sources. Toby was singled out for his positioning and composure plus diagonals. Jan was pushing out from defence trying to get something going because he knew Dembele was ineffective on his own. Jan was helping Davies out also on the left.

It IS Pochettinos fault to a great degree. If his playerls are not putting it about, they should be. He is the one that motivates them or not. Maybe he needs to be stronger across the board. If players are lethargic, even Kane, take them off. Stop the bullshit and threaten their position. If Kane is jaded after the WC, REST HIM, HAVE THE COURAGE TO DO IT. He’s on the pitch with England again on the weekend. But get him match fit by ALL MEANS AVAILABLE.

I too love Pochettino but he needs pressure put on him by the Club. I don’t think he needs much motivation, he seems to have his finger on the pulse and in fairness, what do we know? But like ANYONE else, he can’t get away with poor decisions. The next game is CRUCIAL. ITS TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GET THEIR FINGERS OUT, or our season is gone. The Liver Birds MUST BE BEATEN.

We conceded from 2 set pieces and I don't remember Toby or Jan being culpable. They both rated well from various sources. Toby was singled out for his positioning and composure plus diagonals. Jan was pushing out from defence trying to get something going because he knew Dembele was ineffective on his own. Jan was helping Davies out also on the left.

Nope, both were badly positioned for the goals, both out jumped and both were bullied for much of the second half. Jan only got on the front foot went we went behind again..

I don't want to labour the point because he has done really well for us with what he has. BUT it is so painfully obvious that Ben Davis is not suited to the way we play. I'm looking enviously at what palace have done with Wan-bissaka Poch needs to buy or fast track an understudy for Rose. Tierney is my preference. We need to do it in Jan offer them Walker-peters on loan but playing Davis is pointless

I think Davies when he's confident offers a lot but his performance yesterday was so poor and the stats back that up. He failed to deliver a single cross. He just kicks the ball against the nearest defender all the time.

Unfortunately Rose had a 'mare against Utd so at the moment we're choosing between the lesser of two evils. They both need to up their games massively.

I think Davies when he's confident offers a lot but his performance yesterday was so poor and the stats back that up. He failed to deliver a single cross. He just kicks the ball against the nearest defender all the time.

Unfortunately Rose had a 'mare against Utd so at the moment we're choosing between the lesser of two evils. They both need to up their games massively.

So why play the natural wing-back in a back four at OT and play the natural full back as a wing back in the games either side? I think Poch helps both of them get their game together by switching it back the other way. In fact, I hope Giggs and Southgate give Poch a reminder of that in the coming few days.

Nope, both were badly positioned for the goals, both out jumped and both were bullied for much of the second half. Jan only got on the front foot went we went behind again..

Nope, Kane was marking Deany for the first goal. Harry had his hands on him but let him go and jump. He just stood planted , released his hands and watched. Kane is strong enough and clever enough to know what Troy could do. Toby was not close to the incident, he was further across the line. Jan was forward of Deany, Kane was closest.

Nope, for the second it was Dembele that let the scorer go, he ran forward and Dumbo just stood there. Toby made a good attempt to head the ball with a huge leap, he either missed or it skimmed the top of his head and onto the scorer. As I said way back. Dembele cost us by giving away a daft free kick and failing to mark his man on the corner.