Poch on Winks.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Poch on Winks..

Nick Real Deal - 3/10/2017 16:38

He is drawing great praise from pundits and Alli predicted 5 years ago Winks would hit the big time . As has been said, he started playing very safe and within himself but I think there is far more to come when he starts expressing himself. His passing stats are up there with Dembele although I think his forward pass percentage is higher.

Early days yet, but yes his stats are up there with the best, albeit on a smallish sample.

He has much more in him, but he needs to keep improving and that means fighting for, and holding a starting place now - which won't be easy.

Thing is Dembele will get injured and needs rotating so I think Winks will get opportunities. He may even be better suited to some games than Dembele.

I like Winks. Very aggressive, tidy on the ball and has moments of creativity... Buut him getting into the England squad really shows the lack of top midfielders in the country.

Makes me laugh that people are having a pop at Winks being in the England squad but don't bat an eyelid about Jesse Lingard being in there. I know which one I'd rather see starting for England in these next few days.

muttley - 4/10/2017 11:25

Makes me laugh that people are having a pop at Winks being in the England squad but don't bat an eyelid about Jesse Lingard being in there. I know which one I'd rather see starting for England in these next few days.

The reality is they're doing it because they haven't seen too much of him - but they will, and then the nonsense will disappear - we desperately need a player that can shield, hold a ball and pass long and short and most importantly forward - and if he does that, as well as up's his fitness and so closes down quicker, he'll win everyone over - he's everything England have lacked for far too long.

Assuming he starts tomorrow good luck to him. I hope he doesn't play too safe and expresses himself. We could be seeing the transition from Dembele to Winks for Spurs.

After seeing England the other night I would throw Winks in right at the deep end. We lack serious quality in the middle. Winks has it in spades. The question is does he have the mentality? I think he does. Will be interesting seeing him get some game time.

Very impressive - even more so when you considered how poor those around him were.

he could be in the difficult position of being a regular starter for England by next year, but not for us.. :10:

He's looking everything I've always said he could be - the question for me now is who will he displace in our starting 11...

...answers on a postcard to...

Bald Archie - 29/9/2017 17:03

I too have been saying how good he is / can be, and listed him in the 4 players we have to keep in a previous recent thread.

Don't see much Modric or Parker and it is hard to compare him to others, but he reminds me a bit of a younger Perryman when he was in midfield. As that is some 40-45 years ago, my memory could be playing tricks.

Amazingly I find myself agreeing with you BA. Being roughly the same age as Stevie P he was the player I could relate to the most. What a role model.

Nick Real Deal - 8/10/2017 22:55

98 passes, 96% completion, 9 long range, 2 shots, 2 interceptions. High percentage forward passes. Impressive.

Jesus that is impressive. Will try and watch the highlights later.

More and more praise coming in from neutrals. It's no surprise to most of us how good he was . Also the England set up have had him as captain for the under 20s team. So no surprise to them either I suspect.

Yet the pundits are still mentioning Shelvey and Wilshire for Russia.

Nick Real Deal - 10/10/2017 09:48

More and more praise coming in from neutrals. It's no surprise to most of us how good he was . Also the England set up have had him as captain for the under 20s team. So no surprise to them either I suspect.

Yet the pundits are still mentioning Shelvey and Wilshire for Russia.

TBH if Wilshere was or manages to get back to his best, I'd take him as well - he was at one time looking almost imperious at the deep lying CM role; I don't see it as a competition for a place with Winks as he can and does play off the front foot as Modric used to; short/long, he's almost always looking to make a forward incisive pass - hence the praise he's getting as it's so long since we've had such a player in the England set-up.

That said, he still has to absolutely cement a starting place in our line-up, and as much as I've lauded him for so long, I still think he has yet to do that.

Harry Winks thanks 'brave' Mauricio Pochettino for giving him his chance after England bow

Winks made his England debut in Sunday's 1-0 win over Lithuania, turning in an eye-catching performance in midfield

Rory Dollard
Tuesday 10 October 2017 10:55 BST

The Independent Sport

Harry Winks is thankful to Mauricio Pochettino for giving him a chance Tottenham Hotspur FC

Harry Winks has thanked Mauricio Pochettino for continuing to place his trust in young English talent.

Winks made his England debut in Sunday's 1-0 win over Lithuania, turning in an eye-catching performance in midfield despite having only four Premier League starts under his belt.

His integration in the first-team picture has been carefully handled by Pochettino, whose show of faith has helped spur the likes of Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier and Danny Rose into the senior set-up.

Winks is now angling to join his club-mates at next summer's World Cup and lays the credit at the door of his Argentinian boss.

"It's well known English players struggle to get opportunities in the Premier League, which is difficult for us," he said. "Fortunately for me he's given me my chance and I can't thank him enough for that. "It's brave for the manager to do it but we have to justify that decision and I think I can say I've done that."

Winks, 21, praised Pochettino's holistic approach, spending as much time on his players' mentality as their football skills.

"Not only has he helped me physically and technically but he's helped mentally as well, that's something I can thank him for as well," he said.

"He's a top manager and a top man as well. He's someone who's always there to give advice and help you. He just breeds confidence around the camp."

Winks, 21, praised Pochettino's holistic approach, spending as much time on his players' mentality as their football skills.

"Not only has he helped me physically and technically but he's helped mentally as well, that's something I can thank him for as well," he said.

"He's a top manager and a top man as well. He's someone who's always there to give advice and help you. He just breeds confidence around the camp."

This is plain and simple for all to see. Isn't it?

After watching the highlights he was the best player on the pitch. Ran the game. I like that the other players were looking for him when they passed the ball. That already shows they trust him and know his ability.