Poch now free to join whoever he likes.. | Vital Football

Poch now free to join whoever he likes..

Spursex

Alert Team
Tottenham miss out on Mauricio Pochettino compensation with boss now free to join new club

Former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is now free to join a new club following the conclusion of his gardening leave.

The Argentine was 'relieved of his duties' by Spurs in November but under the terms of his departure the Londoners were only due compensation had he taken a new job within six months.

That deadline has now passed, two days after the Premier League season was scheduled to end.

Spurs are continuing to pay Pochettino's full £8.5million salary and, given the circumstances, would welcome the opportunity to remove him from the wage bill at the earliest opportunity.

But prospective employers will no longer need to negotiate with chairman Daniel Levy.

Pochettino has emerged as a leading target for Newcastle's prospective new owners, who are close to completing a £300million takeover from Mike Ashley – pending Premier League approval.

PCP Capital Partners, a Saudi-backed consortium, want a high-profile successor to Bruce, with Pochettino, former Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez, Massimiliano Allegri and Lucien Favre thought to be among their targets.

Real Madrid have also been linked with Pochettino in the past and could return for the former Spurs manager if Zinedine Zidane fails to deliver major silverware this season

Newcastle here he comes? Or a big club abroad?

If he does join the toon he will be at the number one club in the PL in regards to financial clout if the Saudi deal happens. 260 billion compared to Spurs at around 8 billion. That's not to say he will have endless funds to buy players of course but it's a start !!

If he does join the toon he will be at the number one club in the PL in regards to financial clout if the Saudi deal happens. 260 billion compared to Spurs at around 8 billion. That's not to say he will have endless funds to buy players of course but it's a start !!

they can only invest what FFPR would allow, their ability to spend big will be limited by their income - so it's a chicken and egg situation; their stadium isn't big enough, their tickets are not yet expensive enough and their non-football income is not big - so watch for sudden third party arms length sponsoring deals...that may or may not have been influenced by the new owners...

Last edited:
With that Saudi prince being the financial backing failure or dissent could result in anyone leaving in a suitcase not with one !

With that Saudi prince being the financial backing failure or dissent could result in anyone leaving in a suitcase not with one !

It's a strange move by the Saudi's - they're a kingdom that's under the cosh, financially and politically, in a war, that will not end and they have no way out of and some of the worst decision making and poor leadership decisions I've ever seen.

The deal is of course their attempt to be a global sports player and lift their profile, but I'd be amazed if it will succeed in covering up/acting as a distraction the way some analysts think it will.

Last edited:
It's a strange move by the Saudi's - they're a kingdom that's under the cosh, financially and politically, in a war, that will not end and they have no way out of and some of the worst decision making and poor leadership decisions I've ever seen.

The deal is of course their attempt to be a global sports player and lift their profile, but I'd be amazed if it will succeed in covering up/acting as a distraction the way some analysts think it will.

They are also moving money to safe havens. Which I think has become a more urgent requirement for them

hmm, I can see it on a macro level, but this far too small an investment to even make one of their midges fly.

Buying assets with growth potential. Better use of capital than buying something like SPurs

I get that, but their growth potential is for the time being severely limited. It is interesting to see how they do.

We shall see. If they bury more cash in new facilities which they will likely do then It may end up being the Northern football centre.

they can only invest what FFPR would allow, their ability to spend big will be limited by their income - so it's a chicken and egg situation; their stadium isn't big enough, their tickets are not yet expensive enough and their non-football income is not big - so watch for sudden third party arms length sponsoring deals...that may or may not have been influenced by the new owners...

Surely FFPR will be severely relaxed considering clubs will not be able to meet their projected revenues and therefore to a man will likely fall foul of FFPR (I know it's over a 3 year cycle, but can't see anyone making up the losses easily with no fans in stadiums for foreseeable).

For me in many ways it could be the absolute perfect time to take on the Newcastle job. Relaxed FFPR and clubs desperate to get players off wage bills to survive. He could for the first time in his career genuinely have first pick on some of the best available talent. A club with a big local following ripe for growth if they can get the on pitch decisions right, and could attract a global audience if they bring in the right players and invest in growing their brand in key markets. It would also be a chance to stick it to Levy and I'm sure most former employees would love the chance to do so.

That said Poch is supposedly driven by positive energy and if he's aware of some of the things his potential new financial backers are involved in it may not sit right with his lemons. We'll see.

So Poch gets a load of money to spend. Whilst he had one arm tied behind his back at Spurs financially, the footballing world still awaits his performance at the top end of the market. My guess is that Newcastle will needy to make the leap in 2 stages, especially with FFP.

So Poch gets a load of money to spend. Whilst he had one arm tied behind his back at Spurs financially, the footballing world still awaits his performance at the top end of the market. My guess is that Newcastle will needy to make the leap in 2 stages, especially with FFP.

FF has made a good point the authorities have already indicated that they will suspend FFPR until the World resumes some normality.

But they have also said they will expect the spirit of the rules and principles to be honoured.

I suspect they'll not be rushed into anything, another issue is that the Barclay Brothers have badly fallen out and now the two families are vitriolically suing one and another, so already they have a set of shareholders who can't be diliuted (as I understand it) ad about to viciously have a fight in the high court - this already could suspend plans for further finance.

Newcastle haven't to my knowledge fallen foul of ffpr before. Do clubs decide when a 3 year cycle starts or is it the same for everyone?

I'd imagine football authorities will welcome a new big spender in a depressed market.

I see Poch has come out saying he's open to managing outside the top 6 now. I was never convinced he had the best eye for transfers but it will be interesting to see how he does with a blank chequebook, a bit fearful we might have another team to contend with for CL places within a year or two if he gets it right.