Poch explains why we might be better signing no one.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Poch explains why we might be better signing no one..

When Poch came in, he cleaned the stables.

Ever since he has become a hoarder who believes in quantity over quality. We have tens of millions of pounds worth of players who now cant make the 24, and some more dross that will.
I can understand your frustration but tbf we still have a very competitive & talented squad. I would still expect us to qualify for a CL spot.

I can understand your frustration but tbf we still have a very competitive & talented squad. I would still expect us to qualify for a CL spot.

The project was all about winning at some point, even Poch said that.

I was branded a 'happy clapper' for the majority of the last 3 season, but enough is enough. I can support a long term project, but now clearly our goal is not to win.

The project was all about winning at some point, even Poch said that.

I was branded a 'happy clapper' for the majority of the last 3 season, but enough is enough. I can support a long term project, but now clearly our goal is not to win.
I concur. I've jokingly referred to us as the New Arsenal but now it would appear to be true.

Targets were identified but to get none of them across the line is unnaceptable. Even the signing of future candidates were missed ie Sessegnon & Grealish which would've at the least shown a sign of some ambition.

On why we didn’t sign any new players, the Tottenham manager replied

“Brexit means Brexit”

I think we are in good shape. We should have spent for 1 player at least but the group we have now have exceeded most people's expectations every season.

And quite frankly, expecting anything different from Levy was stupid on my part.

I think we are in good shape. We should have spent for 1 player at least but the group we have now have exceeded most people's expectations every season.

And quite frankly, expecting anything different from Levy was stupid on my part.

You'll have seen how coy Zaha and diplomatic was when asked about the transfer speculation that surrounded him....

I wish he'd had the balls/determination to throw his rattles out of the pram.. I think he'd be a very special player with us..maybe we'll get him next season...?

You'll have seen how coy Zaha and diplomatic was when asked about the transfer speculation that surrounded him....

I wish he'd had the balls/determination to throw his rattles out of the pram.. I think he'd be a very special player with us..maybe we'll get him next season...?

By that point we would have been chasing him 3 seasons. Time to move on.

He still hasn't come into his peak.

Surely it's time to let this go. I did notice how coy; coy about COYS he was. I think we have totally pissed of Palace they want £60m we anit got it unless we sell Eriksen or Kane which would be pointless. It's a big world why are we paying scouts to watch MOD.

Surely it's time to let this go. I did notice how coy; coy about COYS he was. I think we have totally pissed of Palace they want £60m we anit got it unless we sell Eriksen or Kane which would be pointless. It's a big world why are we paying scouts to watch MOD.

They wanted closer to 75 mill is my understanding - that's from one of their very senior people, but was also told that Woy put a gun to their heads if they did entertain it.

It's all about looking at players that are PL proven that we can get that would undoubtedly improve us (and there aren't many we could/might get) rather than buying players that at the end of the day are always 50/50 gambles.

They wanted closer to 75 mill is my understanding - that's from one of their very senior people, but was also told that Woy put a gun to their heads if they did entertain it.

It's all about looking at players that are PL proven that we can get that would undoubtedly improve us (and there aren't many we could/might get) rather than buying players that at the end of the day are always 50/50 gambles.

Pascal Gross, Lewis cook, Abudulha Dacoure, Ricardo Perera think we'll have to argue about what improve us means, but Zaha at £75m is a crack pipe dream and as Bubbles said "time to put down the pipe hommie." Which reminds we where the hell is Stanislas Lubotka!

Pascal Gross, Lewis cook, Abudulha Dacoure, Ricardo Perera think we'll have to argue about what improve us means, but Zaha at £75m is a crack pipe dream and as Bubbles said "time to put down the pipe hommie." Which reminds we where the hell is Stanislas Lubotka!

I can't say any of who you've just mentioned would I take as clear evidence of achievable PL experienced upgrades over what we've got - but who the hell knows, it's now utterly subjective!

Last edited:
JJ seems to be echoing exactly what I was told and what I said here; as he's still very tight in with the club, I expect he's being pretty accurate...

So no new players was Poch's 'brave' decision.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/08/bl...s-explains-why-tottenham-had-a-fallow-window/

Jenas explains why Tottenham had a fallow window
Toby-Alderweireld-shouting.jpg

Date: 15th August 2018 at 1:30pm
Written by: Frank McGool

Jermaine Jenas has claimed that Tottenham did not sign any players this summer because Mauricio Pochettino only had a select group of targets and was unwilling to settle for second or third choices.

In an interview with the BBC Sport website, the former Spurs and England midfielder insisted that the manager was backed by the board of directors and had money to spend on new talent.

But Jenas said the information from his sources is that Pochettino did not want alternative targets once the club failed to secure deals for his primary choices.

“It is the team that has got them to this position, with consecutive top-three finishes and Champions League football and if the club does not back Pochettino, that will inevitably tail off,” Jenas told BBC Sport.

“From my understanding, however, that is not the reason Spurs did not sign anyone this summer.

“Yes, Spurs had to stay within certain boundaries, but Pochettino was given the finances to go and get what he needed – it was just that Spurs were not able to get those deals over the line, and there was not much point in them going for their second or third choices.

More at the link above..

What do second and third choices actually mean if there's only one select group of targets?

As clear as mud.

Be interesting to see how long we go before Levy can land any of Poch's select group. Hopefully, first week of Jan.

So basically if you don't back me I don't want your dross token signings. Fair enough. Also my enquiry on what the brave and take risks meaning was, is not so obvious after all to all those who said it was.

Poch has moved the goalposts imho when it comes to his 'brave' comment - but we'll never know, so debating is pretty pointless now.

Last edited: