Poch explains why we might be better signing no one.. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Poch explains why we might be better signing no one..

Hell I agree with MP, we should only be targeting first choice targets and not settling. Not sure who those 'first choice' targets were, but I guess I can buy this logic.

I am guessing Grealish was first choice but it didn't come off. Although the everything is for sale at the right price theory wasn't tested.

I am guessing Grealish was first choice but it didn't come off. Although the everything is for sale at the right price theory wasn't tested.

If we'd wanted him badly enough and were prepared to make them a ridiculous offer; say around 40-50 mill, Bruce made it clear they'd have sold...

Even at the risk of financially destabilizing the club or upsetting wage structure?

The wage structure wasn't the issue it was the transfer price.

SO with that in mind in the year you are moving into your new stadium and want to create some additional buzz to attract new supporters and corporate revenues the answer would be:

YES!

If we'd wanted him badly enough and were prepared to make them a ridiculous offer; say around 40-50 mill, Bruce made it clear they'd have sold...

Exactly, we didn't really want him enough, even though crazy money was wasted on dross last season. 35 to 40 mil may have bought him and eased our MF issues.

The wage structure wasn't the issue it was the transfer price.

SO with that in mind in the year you are moving into your new stadium and want to create some additional buzz to attract new supporters and corporate revenues the answer would be:

YES!

I wouldn't have done it; short term gains like that, generally mean longer term pain.

If it was for Zaha and/or Martial, then I would have said we should of paid over the odds, as they would have been much less of a risk.

Unfortunately, to compete at this level, we have to pay more and we certainly have the resources to deliver at least on one target.

Zaha and Martial are overrated. Neither are worth 70m plus. I'm glad we didn't waste our money on them two.

Pulisic would have been a different animal. Massive talent, he will only improve and we would have gained millions of more fans from the USA, which in time would have paid for the transfer fee.

If we were looking at attacking players in the 20-40m price range then players like Richarlison, Maddison really would have made a difference.

CM options, Grealish and Gomes were our top targets yet we couldn't get either deal over the line when one was a Championship player and the other went to Everton on loan.

People can keep on making excuses, but we always blow it when we have a chance to move forward. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who the problem is.

Pulisic would have been absolutely massive. That signing alone would have made this window a success.

I actually like Martial over Zaha, but would have taken either or both. I agree with RD, not for 70M though.

Not bringing in a DM could bite us in the ass as well.

Pulisic would have been absolutely massive. That signing alone would have made this window a success.

I actually like Martial over Zaha, but would have taken either or both. I agree with RD, not for 70M though.

Not bringing in a DM could bite us in the ass as well.

I think you two are going to have to reset your price expectations. Can't see them going lower.

I would even have been ecstatic if we had pre-signed Pulisic and would be bringing him to London in a years time. Problem is, that doesn't get Levy as fired up as being the kiddie in the sweetshop on transfer deadline day or having a 6-8 week procrastinated game of cat mouse with another chairman and winning by £100k on the asking price.

The other problem is his ego wouldn't let him copy Liverpool's Keita business model. In his mind, he's still the innovative chairman that is thinking ahead of Aston Villa, Newcastle, Everton and leaving them in his wake to compete with the big 4. We all know what happened to the dinosaurs !!!

I would even have been ecstatic if we had pre-signed Pulisic and would be bringing him to London in a years time. Problem is, that doesn't get Levy as fired up as being the kiddie in the sweetshop on transfer deadline day or having a 6-8 week procrastinated game of cat mouse with another chairman and winning by £100k on the asking price.

The other problem is his ego wouldn't let him copy Liverpool's Keita business model. In his mind, he's still the innovative chairman that is thinking ahead of Aston Villa, Newcastle, Everton and leaving them in his wake to compete with the big 4. We all know what happened to the dinosaurs !!!

On the whole in recent years, Levy has done a magnificant job; we've over-performed despite our financial handicap; built propbably the best academy complex in the Premier league and in the not too distant future about to have one of the greatest stadiums in Europe...

And he's done all that from the clubs own progress and resources.

There's no question that he harbours resources and isn't one for taking gambles or throwing caution to the wind.

He's given Poch everything he's asked for within the known budgets - this summer clearly he couldn't deliver - we could have bought 'B' list players, but Poch has chosen not to - will we be able to get who he wants in January?

Only time will tell.

Levy has his faults and I've said them here many times - but given what he's had to work with, he's also done a quite remarkable job.

Levy doesn't strike me as someone with an ego, but clearly I don't know him as well as your good self.

Zaha and Martial are overrated. Neither are worth 70m plus. I'm glad we didn't waste our money on them two.

Pulisic would have been a different animal. Massive talent, he will only improve and we would have gained millions of more fans from the USA, which in time would have paid for the transfer fee.

If we were looking at attacking players in the 20-40m price range then players like Richarlison, Maddison really would have made a difference.

CM options, Grealish and Gomes were our top targets yet we couldn't get either deal over the line when one was a Championship player and the other went to Everton on loan.

People can keep on making excuses, but we always blow it when we have a chance to move forward. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who the problem is.

Both of them would walk into our first / best starting 11 - and they're worth what people will pay for them, what the market dictates....

As for Pulisic, I'd love to have him, but I think we've got more chance of landing Bale - which is never.

Still gutted about Gomes, got to pray that I'm totally wrong about him and he's not the player I think he could become in the PL.

Levy doesn't strike me as someone with an ego, but clearly I don't know him as well as your good self.

Everyone has an ego; but what we can ascertain from the way he behaves is that he isn't a man with an ego problem - if he did have, we'd be reading what he has to say every week as some Chairman/bosses like to do....

He seems to me to be measured, self effacing even, has a skin like a pacyderm and a pretty decent intellect.

I just wish there were times when he was prepared to be a bit more creative and even a bit of a gambler...neither of which he appears to have in his character.

Everyone has an ego; but what we can ascertain from the way he behaves is that he isn't a man with an ego problem - if he did have, we'd be reading what he has to say every week as some Chairman/bosses like to do....

He seems to me to be measured, self effacing even, has a skin like a pacyderm and a pretty decent intellect.

I just wish there were times when he was prepared to be a bit more creative and even a bit of a gambler...neither of which he appears to have in his character.
I have said for many years now that he shows characteristics of someone that is risk averse, but I would rather that than a gambler.