Poch explains why we might be better signing no one.. | Vital Football

Poch explains why we might be better signing no one..

Spursex

Alert Team
He makes it sound like he's given Levy a player assessment lesson and an insight in his playing 'philosophy'...no one is better than 'anyone' seems to be the mantra now..

'You're better off not signing anyone' - Mauricio Pochettino on Spurs transfers and Daniel Levy
The Tottenham boss has previously spoken about how he approaches transfers
By
Alasdair GoldTottenham Hotspur correspondent
  • 13:11, 8 AUG 2018
Spurs

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has previously given his thoughts on transfers and with this summer proving a barren wasteland for the club's fans they're worth a revisit.

Spurs are the only club yet to have done any transfer business this summer which has particularly exasperated the supporters as Pochettino said earlier this year that he hoped that any new signings would arrive in time for pre-season.

Apart from the fact that Tottenham are targeting homegrown players this window in order to address an unbalanced Champions League squad, previous comments from Pochettino also give an insight over his policy when it comes to new signings.

The manager recounted a trip away with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to Argentina two seasons ago and their discussions over transfers in his book 'Brave New World: Inside Pochettino's Spurs'.

"Sometimes club presidents and chairman appoint a coach because of his CV, but until they make a real connection, they don't truly understand what they've brought to the club. Spending so many hours together helped Daniel get closer to how we think," said Pochettino.

0_GettyImages-1008638584.jpg

Mauricio Pochettno
"We spoke about being more effective, about strategies, about how we can improve and become more competitive. About why I prefer to give homegrown kids chances rather than signing players, and the problems that can be caused by buying players you don't need.

"Leaving a signing on the bench is not the same as having an academy graduate as a bench-warmer."
Read More

He added: "We reprised a really interesting game we'd first played a while back. We had to split the Premier League squads into good players, very good players and stars.

"In doing so, the different opinions we each had about these categories became apparent and some very constructive discussions ensued.

"A chairman and a manager can only really talk football at a superficial level. But I was able to explain to him in detail how, the more defined your playing style is, the more difficult transfers become, because either a player gives you something specific you're lacking, or you're better off not signing anyone."

Load of old crap.

There is no one in world football that isn’t currently on the books of Tottenham Hotspur that matches our needs?

I read this earlier and it sounded more like Poch begging Levy not to just sign any old sod who plays in the same position as our top target.

Well, he
He makes it sound like he's given Levy a player assessment lesson and an insight in his playing 'philosophy'...no one is better than 'anyone' seems to be the mantra now..

'You're better off not signing anyone' - Mauricio Pochettino on Spurs transfers and Daniel Levy
The Tottenham boss has previously spoken about how he approaches transfers
By
Alasdair GoldTottenham Hotspur correspondent
  • 13:11, 8 AUG 2018
Spurs

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has previously given his thoughts on transfers and with this summer proving a barren wasteland for the club's fans they're worth a revisit.

Spurs are the only club yet to have done any transfer business this summer which has particularly exasperated the supporters as Pochettino said earlier this year that he hoped that any new signings would arrive in time for pre-season.

Apart from the fact that Tottenham are targeting homegrown players this window in order to address an unbalanced Champions League squad, previous comments from Pochettino also give an insight over his policy when it comes to new signings.

The manager recounted a trip away with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to Argentina two seasons ago and their discussions over transfers in his book 'Brave New World: Inside Pochettino's Spurs'.

"Sometimes club presidents and chairman appoint a coach because of his CV, but until they make a real connection, they don't truly understand what they've brought to the club. Spending so many hours together helped Daniel get closer to how we think," said Pochettino.

0_GettyImages-1008638584.jpg

Mauricio Pochettno
"We spoke about being more effective, about strategies, about how we can improve and become more competitive. About why I prefer to give homegrown kids chances rather than signing players, and the problems that can be caused by buying players you don't need.

"Leaving a signing on the bench is not the same as having an academy graduate as a bench-warmer."
Read More

He added: "We reprised a really interesting game we'd first played a while back. We had to split the Premier League squads into good players, very good players and stars.

"In doing so, the different opinions we each had about these categories became apparent and some very constructive discussions ensued.

"A chairman and a manager can only really talk football at a superficial level. But I was able to explain to him in detail how, the more defined your playing style is, the more difficult transfers become, because either a player gives you something specific you're lacking, or you're better off not signing anyone."

Well he looks like getting his wish even though we all know we need reinforcements.

I read this earlier and it sounded more like Poch begging Levy not to just sign any old sod who plays in the same position as our top target.

No, if you read it again it sounds more like getting your excuses lined up..

If we don't sign the right player(s) Poch and the backroom staff will be just as much to blame.

taken at face value, Poch's comments can be best described as 'brave' - because if we screw up in the first half of the season with no fresh blood, he'll be hounded by everyone....

I always said our average signings over the last two years would come back to bite us in the ass.

Not only are we finding it virtually impossible to sell these players, they are also taking up important spaces in the squad. Non home grown spaces at that.

Jansen and N'kou don't seem to be earning much so we could probably get away with just not naming them in the squad if we can't get shot.

But players like Llorente and Sissoko earn good money so we won't be able to just drop them.

No matter what happens tomorrow this window has been a poorly organised and shows how out of date our tactcis are.

Levy loves the end of the window for selling players more than buying players and he still has a couple more weeks to sell. I wonder how much not selling our players already has impacted on the fees Levy has been willing to release to sign players.

My guess is business as usual... Penny wise, pound foolish.

Is it possible to put a bet on for Poch resigning this evening? I've got a couple of quid already loaded on Bet 365 and have never really done this betting malarky.

Who knew a payrise would make someone a club puppet?

Who knew a payrise would make someone a club puppet?

I don't for one second think Poch would be a puppet even if he was given a payrise. He either truly believes what he is saying or is being incredibly diplomatic. It all depends on what Levy promised him to keep the likes of Real at bay and if promises have now been broken.

If Levy at any point made a promise to Poch and it has been broken, I think we will either see Poch resign or jump ship at the first opportunity someone comes along for him. Southampton broke promises and he left there pretty quickly.

If he had anything about him he would walk. He won't though he is earning 9m a year. Zero worry about winning trophies.

He has the easiest job in the entire league.

Only time will tell if we can offload any deadwood. We have another 2 weeks to rid ourselves of the likes of Janssen or Llorente. If we sell a star however & history tells us that we probably will... then Levy will be crucified.

Real Deal, you're so right!!!

It is really ridiculous for MP saying that!
He offends football common sense!

Poch finally explains being brave.....to do nothing is brave. Due to the cost of the stadium and Brexit weakening the £. It was not possible to sign anyone. To be the only club not to sign, was brave, it sure was.

What a load of crap. Poch's and levy should have had names in place in January. We should have been working hard behind the scenes. Poch's should have given levy 4-5 players in each position to go for and that should have been sorted before the window opened. All this to do with the stadium and Brexit is rubbish. I think it is more to do with Poch has cost the club so much money in buying utter shit that Levy is worried. But I still think it is down to the fact that Levy is f**king a tight arse.
As they explained before, the stadium money is separate to the transfer funds. I think Levy wanted to sell before we buy. As I said tight arse not willing to risk it.

When Poch came in, he cleaned the stables.

Ever since he has become a hoarder who believes in quantity over quality. We have tens of millions of pounds worth of players who now cant make the 24, and some more dross that will.