Poch explains why it's hard to sign players.... | Vital Football

Poch explains why it's hard to sign players....

Spursex

Alert Team
Poch has been talking about transfers....and the excuses seem to be being readied !

Poch also took a dig the media when asked if it was tough to make new signings because of the players already at the club:

"Yes, and you make it difficult, my job! You all! When after not playing Harry Kane, you all say why didn't you play Harry Kane. Or why not this player or another.

Before you ask for more signings but when I try to play with all the squad you're the first to translate that feeling of why not player that one or another. You make it difficult my job! I think my answer is clear!"

It's difficult, because you're talking about top players like Harry Kane. It's not easy for a striker to come here and compete. It's football. Look at the big teams, look what happens at Barcelona.

There's Luis Suarez but Paco Alcacer needed to move away and now at Borussia Dortmund he's doing a fantastic job and scoring goals. Because football is difficult to play with two or three strikers.

If you want to dominate games you need more midfielders than strikers. If you want to play more direct or in a different way, maybe you play with wingers, fast, you know the balance is important, always to have a plan who you want to play.

There are many things. But of course when you want to sign a striker, always they say 'why do you want me why you have Harry Kane?'. That's true and that's right, that's the first question from the agent or the player when you meet the player of course."

Not sure anyone would be asking that this season. His return has been decent but I'm sure a hungry striker could see there would have been an opportunity to make a mark, shame our backup striker is in his mid 30s.

Clearly, Poch has tried to buy other strikers....

and I do get it - when you've probably got the best in the Land ahead of you - you've got to accept you're going to get very little playing time, so as a manager you're left to sign end of life strikers who were once good, now not so much...

Good young strikers want to play, and who can blame them for turning us down when they see Harry is ahead of them?

Striker is not where I would be prioritising anyway. I would throw the entire budget at centre mid and full-back in these next couple of windows. Guys like Son, Dele, Moura etc can do a job up top and I would promote Janssen once fit again. At least he fits the philosophy.

agree with all of that apart from Janssen. There was a time where I thought his form was improving and he looked like he could be something as he got a little faster and more physical and his movement was improving... then he got a loan to a shit league, did nothing after the first couple games, then got a major injury. I'd be truly shocked if he now managed to jump the 2 or 3 levels necessary to become an option for us in the near future - I'd expect it'll be slow rehab to get him back to where he was pre-injury, which was a level Poch didn't think merited keeping him.

Why is it hard to sign another striker ? Surely nobody expects Harry to play every game or stay uninjured for the whole season. Why would another striker want to come ? Because of the previous sentence. It's a lame excuse not to sign another striker.

and people wonder why a lot of spurs fans are getting fed up with the same lame excuses every season.

Like Muttley we have other areas which need improving first and IMO Son is better as a striker anyway. But Poch and his excuses are really pissing me off.

He had a decent back up in Jansen and did all the ground work with him, then loaned him out and replaced him with a mercenary over the hill CF who doesn't fit the system at all.

As always these days, act the victim, seems to work I suppose.....

and people wonder why a lot of spurs fans are getting fed up with the same lame excuses every season.

Like Muttley we have other areas which need improving first and IMO Son is better as a striker anyway. But Poch and his excuses are really pissing me off.

He had a decent back up in Jansen and did all the ground work with him, then loaned him out and replaced him with a mercenary over the hill CF who doesn't fit the system at all.

I would have thought a young striker would jump at the chance to work with Poch and Harry as a mentor not be put off by it. I would suggest looking at Llorente they would think they had a chance of outshining a grandad.

I would have thought a young striker would jump at the chance to work with Poch and Harry as a mentor not be put off by it. I would suggest looking at Llorente they would think they had a chance of outshining a grandad.

I get that it's a tricky situation, but he has had 9 transfer windows to get it right.

Agree there are some decent young strikers around. We are a decent club, it's not like we are mid table team.

Nobody is expecting a worldie striker.

Why is it hard to sign another striker ? Surely nobody expects Harry to play every game or stay uninjured for the whole season. Why would another striker want to come ? Because of the previous sentence. It's a lame excuse not to sign another striker.
Who should they have signed? If I remember correctly they tried to sign Morata but he wouldn't come because of Kane, you may call it an excuse but I have no doubt it is a factor.
It is easy to sign a striker but I would suggest but getting one that could do a job is another thing.
People also forget we've signed Janssen and Llorente in the last 4 years, personally it isn't where I would be spending any money at the moment.

He killed Jansen I honestly belive there was a player we could have worked into an asset there...

Janssen didn't take his chances and then was average in a poor league.

Poch probably could have done more but I suspect he's a few years away from being good enough for a top half of the prem side, let alone a top 4 club. Poch sees more of the players than we do with training & etc so I suspect his evaluation on Janssen was perhaps more accurate than mine.

I was one of the ones hoping we'd give Janssen another season but once he was loaned I was disappointed that his return at Fenerbahce was very poor, and what made it worse was that Soldado and Adebayor were outscoring him comfortably.

Dont we have strikers in the under 23 s or do we not keep them , is there a strikers warehouse somewhere where they are all kept . What happens to them all

Janssen didn't take his chances and then was average in a poor league.

Poch probably could have done more but I suspect he's a few years away from being good enough for a top half of the prem side, let alone a top 4 club. Poch sees more of the players than we do with training & etc so I suspect his evaluation on Janssen was perhaps more accurate than mine.

I was one of the ones hoping we'd give Janssen another season but once he was loaned I was disappointed that his return at Fenerbahce was very poor, and what made it worse was that Soldado and Adebayor were outscoring him comfortably.

Janssen's season in 17/18 in all competitions was 13 starts, 11 sub and 8 goals for club and country. His sub appearances were mostly late in the season when recovering from injury. The problem was he went Oct / Nov without a goal.

He could be average as you say, but with a career record of 74 goals in 174 appearances, you have to think there's something to work with for Poch, whilst he solves bigger issues like full back and defence.

You also know that whilst he's not scoring he'll be offering way more in competitions like EFL trophy, FA Cup and even Europa League than we get from Llorente. As for our lazy Spaniard, I'm reading that Bilbao might want him back after making 250 appearances for them earlier in his career. Make it happen I say !!!

Janssen's season in 17/18 in all competitions was 13 starts, 11 sub and 8 goals for club and country. His sub appearances were mostly late in the season when recovering from injury. The problem was he went Oct / Nov without a goal.

He could be average as you say, but with a career record of 74 goals in 174 appearances, you have to think there's something to work with for Poch, whilst he solves bigger issues like full back and defence.

You also know that whilst he's not scoring he'll be offering way more in competitions like EFL trophy, FA Cup and even Europa League than we get from Llorente. As for our lazy Spaniard, I'm reading that Bilbao might want him back after making 250 appearances for them earlier in his career. Make it happen I say !!!

I always thought even when he wasn't scoring, he held the ball up well and brought others into the game. His touch was improving as was his vision. I think he won us a pen one game.

He also tried and gave defenders something to think about.

He will never be a top class striker or a first team regular but we never needed him to be. He was coming along fine and Poch fecked it up.

I always thought even when he wasn't scoring, he held the ball up well and brought others into the game. His touch was improving as was his vision. I think he won us a pen one game.

He will never be a top class striker or a first team regular but we never needed him to be. He was coming along fine and Poch fecked it up.

I agree with this to an extent but Janssen let us down in key moments too many times. We talk about wanting the level of player that will move us forward, even in the squad, Janssen doesn't qualify. And he had PLENTY of opportunities.

I agree with this to an extent but Janssen let us down in key moments too many times. We talk about wanting the level of player that will move us forward, even in the squad, Janssen doesn't qualify. And he had PLENTY of opportunities.

Yeah because his replacement Llorente was the answer.

He was fine as a squad player until the right guy came along.

Did he have as many opportunities as developing players like Lamela ?

Should have loaned him to a WBA type club even if it meant covering his wages.

Less pressure and more game type