Poch admits 'mistakes' | Page 2 | Vital Football

Poch admits 'mistakes'

No wonder the players were confused at the end of Poch’s tenure . it doesn’t sound as If even he knew what was going on .

“ having great players is not incompatible with being humane “ I hope that is a lost in translation piece ,!

Now Pochettino must look to the future and he was asked whether he wants a chance to win titles at his next club.

"The coaches misapply that the project finds us. It seems that we demand a project and not. It is to find a club, president or people who go hand in hand with the ideas we have and that we believe can bring you closer to success," he said.

What on earth is he going on about ?
No wonder we were in disarray!

Surely if that was the case , it has to be him and only him that chooses the Incoming players , and not the chairman . It was well documented that we were not going into the transfer market . Was that down to him then , and only him . Pretty poor project planning and application then .

That was always a big problem with Poch, he regularly talked in riddles, and I don't think that it was a language issue, more a case of some political game he used to play which served no value to the Club, players or himself.

IN all of this, all seemed to have forgot that it was Poch that boasted that he 'schooled' levy into not spending in two windows. That's when I knew Poch was finished.
In fairness to Poch I took that to there is no point buying players who are no better than we already have ie: the usual suspects available at the price Levybwas prepared to spend when what was needed were top class additions...there has always been the argument that there must have been some players out there that would have improved the squad that we could afford, but Poch obviously didn’t think so...

In terms of a car analogy I would say we were a Mercedes and needed a Bentley (unfortunate brand name!) to go to a higher level but were only allowed to spend at the Ford showroom.

Arteta, in his first senior coaching role, has one more trophies in 6 months than Poch.

Why do all of these reports always refer to the 6mths leading up to his sacking. Lets get real about this. CL final excluded the previous 12mths had been nothing short of a disaster. We had mid table to relegation form for that entire period and we were playing some of the most frustrating football seen under poch. The line was drawn the minute we sold Walker to City and Rose went a bit rogue. We had a solid foundation of centre halves and keeper with a world class set of full backs with solid cover. That gave everyone the license to relax and play their game. It hasn't been the same since.

I don't blame that on Poch or the club tbh but lets not kid ourselves that Poch didn't have time to put it right or that the club gave enough resources to solving the problem. They were equally poor in solving the problem but it was a hard problem to solve. Liverpool hit gold with their 2 fullbacks and look at what they have achieved. IMO its the most important position on the pitch if you want to dominate an opposition team. From what I have seen JM has identified that we are limited in these positions, have little prospect of getting back to that kind of dominance and is now settling for a more solid approach from defense.

That was always a big problem with Poch, he regularly talked in riddles, and I don't think that it was a language issue, more a case of some political game he used to play which served no value to the Club, players or himself.
Used to drive me crazy at times, i thought some of it may have been lost in translation but in hindsight i think i was just making excuses for the fella.

Because they made it crystal clear that he only had one future and that was at City; I know his agent and ALL inquiries made about him were laughed off, even Bayern Munich who were prepared to pay a ridiculous sum at the time.

Did they make it crystal clear irrespective of the fact they were desperate to get Walker or did we try to force their hand to see if they would budge?

Did they make it crystal clear irrespective of the fact they were desperate to get Walker or did we try to force their hand to see if they would budge?

In the last 15 years I have never witnessed spurs force anyone's hand when it came to getting an opposition player in exchange. Whether it was selling Bale or Walker or anyone, we always seem to be left with a pot of money but no players. I think Levey just looks at the £££ signs.

In fairness to Poch I took that to there is no point buying players who are no better than we already have ie: the usual suspects available at the price Levybwas prepared to spend when what was needed were top class additions...there has always been the argument that there must have been some players out there that would have improved the squad that we could afford, but Poch obviously didn’t think so...

In terms of a car analogy I would say we were a Mercedes and needed a Bentley (unfortunate brand name!) to go to a higher level but were only allowed to spend at the Ford showroom.

When Poch did spend the money though he rarely got it right. He was poor in the transfer market. His best signings were Son, Toby, Wana, Trippier and Davies.

All were known though.

Leicester City always seem to find really good players at reasonable prices. Maybe we should look at their transfer committee.

I want to punch him in his face extremely hard for that comment. lol

Everyone keeps saying Levy didn't back him that transfer window. JJ is at it now.

Part of growing up and changing as a club was knowing that Levy was also prepared to do the same. I genuinely thought at the time that finally someone had got through to Levy that he was running the football finances side sub-optimally for over a decade and he needed to change the strategy and tactics. That problem was well hidden beneath the new sponsorship deals, the expanding TV monies and the new CL monies. It all looked like Levy was doing a great job, until people suddenly realised that he had the most valuable team in the league and had let it evaporate into nothing with no financial return under his watch. Matthew Collecott is equally culpable in my mind.

That's why I will never totally blame a manager. If you're running an organisation, then run it properly and be accountable. Levy let Harry buy all and sundry and inflated our squad to 35 senior players wasting tens of millions in wasted salaries. Levy then followed that by wasting the Bale money under AVB, and then had to watch as Poch ripped out 35 senior pro's in a 2 year cleanup operation. Then when Poch had finally optimised the football finances for his chairman and CFO, they just wouldn't release the money and turn it back into salary and transfer fees.

Let's keep blaming the incumbent manager though :-)

The sad thing is that I'm not sure Levy and Collecott even get it now. Now the rest of the financial model is in run-the-business mode, they will have more time to focus on optimising the football side. Are they even capable?

If an agent tells you there is absolutely no interest, there is absolutely no interest. If a club laughs at your interest, it's because they've got so much money they couldn't care less. When you have that much money, there is always a soft point where you as the selling club have no choice.

The agency I am in invested in, would sell their own mother or kill there father to make a deal happen - as apart from the tail fees (after a deal is signed) agents only make money - when they can force clubs/players and other agents into a deal.

When Poch did spend the money though he rarely got it right. He was poor in the transfer market. His best signings were Son, Toby, Wana, Trippier and Davies.

All were known though.

Leicester City always seem to find really good players at reasonable prices. Maybe we should look at their transfer committee.
That’s true but I suspect Poch wanted to buy known entities rather than prospects for the future and Levy offered the bargain basement budget giving both sides able to say they tried. Levy has a much longer and stronger history of making bad decisions where the playing side of the club is concerned than Poch ever did.

I want to punch him in his face extremely hard for that comment. lol

Everyone keeps saying Levy didn't back him that transfer window. JJ is at it now.

What Poch said and what happened are two entirely different things though. It has reliably been hinted that a rift occurred with Poch and Levy over not signing Batsuayi. When the club refused to spend larger fees on first choice players and then wasted money on option b/c/d targets like N'Jie and N'Koudou Poch rightly questioned the point in it.

That stand off created the void in player movement but Poch foolishly put all his chips on spending the money saved up on a better quality of player (Ndombele, Lo Celso) who had to hit the ground running to save his job as the stagnation was already causing rot.

Both Levy and Poch are at fault for the last 2 years. Levy especially has made a real habit of getting big footballing decisions very, very wrong. Twice we have had a chance to hit the next level and he failed to offer the right support or guidance on both occasions.

What Poch said and what happened are two entirely different things though. It has reliably been hinted that a rift occurred with Poch and Levy over not signing Batsuayi. When the club refused to spend larger fees on first choice players and then wasted money on option b/c/d targets like N'Jie and N'Koudou Poch rightly questioned the point in it.

That stand off created the void in player movement but Poch foolishly put all his chips on spending the money saved up on a better quality of player (Ndombele, Lo Celso) who had to hit the ground running to save his job as the stagnation was already causing rot.

Both Levy and Poch are at fault for the last 2 years. Levy especially has made a real habit of getting big footballing decisions very, very wrong. Twice we have had a chance to hit the next level and he failed to offer the right support or guidance on both occasions.

It was a collective decision to hold and wait for the top class A pick targets to be available, as for the 'N's all of them were bought after Poch agreed that they would be squad development targets....the club never bought a single player he didn't want.

Poch believed he didn't need a bigger squad as he also believed we had real top-class prospects coming through the ranks and that most of all that he didn't want to buy anyone that wasn't better than we already had, except for those he thought he could develop - which in almost every case, he failed to do.

So it was a collective decision, but of course once he'd 'schooled' Levy against his better judgement, he was music to Levy's ears.

The biggest mistake and the anger between them was to hold onto CE when the club's view was one of very much getting rid of a rotten apple and Poch's belief we needed to keep hold of him - and that was all down to Poch, and it's clear to me for the last 24/18 months of his time with us, his commitment was less than 100%.

While Poch was waiting for 'A list' quality, less powerful PL clubs signed players that walk into our 11; Wolves signed Traore, Leicester signed Maddison & Pereira, etc.

I'm sure that there are countless of examples of good deals made that summer across Europe, so that sounds like excuses from the Manager and the recruitment team.

While Poch was waiting for 'A list' quality, less powerful PL clubs signed players that walk into our 11; Wolves signed Traore, Leicester signed Maddison & Pereira, etc.

I'm sure that there are countless of examples of good deals made that summer across Europe, so that sounds like excuses from the Manager and the recruitment team.

Remember when Poch said Berahino was the only striker in the world he wanted? He certainly has previous. A very stubborn man.