Poachers Q & A | Page 2 | Vital Football

Poachers Q & A

How old is Poacher, and what is the history behind him becoming club mascot?

Poacher is now 11 years old as of July 27th, it was July 27th 1998 I put in my first appearance, and I’ve done it for the full 11 years. The story behind Poacher is actually rooted in the John Beck era. Put aside the long ball philosophy and sheer brutality of his team, he also initiated the popular but often forgotten ‘Team Lincoln’, taking the players out to hospitals and schools and trying to bring the community and the club together. Part of this he felt included having a mascot and the idea of Poacher was born. He left before the suit was delivered, but it still came and was left with then Commercial Director Jerry Lonsdale to deal with. Jerry advertised on the back of the Echo for a mascot and that’s where I came in.

I actually decided to do it to annoy a girl I was seeing at the time! She made me miss the 1998 promotion parade through the City centre and at the time I let her, but as revenge I decided to apply for the job as mascot. I was interviewed by Jerry and Alan Long, initially believing that I’d get paid for it. Obviously that wasn’t the case, but as a fan of the club I couldn’t turn it down when they offered me it, and it was the best decision I ever made. They’ll have to carry me out of Sincil Bank in a 6ft wooden box before I give the job up.

The name Poacher comes from the song The Lincolnshire Poacher, ironically a song first written down in York in the late 1700’s, and the Imp comes from the carving in the cathedral. The one in the angels choir is the famous one but in actual fact there are three Imps to be spotted around the cathedral in various places.

Is your least favourite part of your lap around the pitch before the game the chavs in the bottom corner in the COOP?

Haha that’s a great question to finish on. If you mean the lads in the corner near the away fans then no, not at all. I have a bit of banter with them. We usually have a quick chat about the odds for the game as I like to have a flutter or two. It’s a great experience getting round the different people, kids and parents in the family stand, the quieter crowd in the St Andrews, nice mix in the Co-op and then to my own spiritual home of the Railway End, Clanford End, Stacey West whatever you want to call it. My least favourite part of the ground (and I don’t want this to get back to the person involved) is the Stacey West / Co-op corner because of that steward ‘the witch’….. she always wants a hug from Poacher but before she knew who I was she’d always give me a load of hassle. I swear shes eats kids and lives in a house made of sweets and biscuits, although I wouldn’t mind wagering a bet that she’s eaten the conservatory!