Playing Budget | Vital Football

Playing Budget

nibbles

Vital Football Hero
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/budget-claims-are-nonsense-183134/

Apparently last season the playing budget was £2.5M. One of the more competitive in the league apparently.

This works out to roughly £48K per week.

How many players were taking a wage in an average week?

If it's 30 that gives an average wage of £1600 / week - £80K+ per annum.

A lot of assumptions in the above including that the £2.5M is solely for player wages - it may include a variety of things (manager + backroom staff, travel, hotels, Daz, Lenor, oranges, etc).

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/budget-claims-are-nonsense-183134/

Apparently last season the playing budget was £2.5M. One of the more competitive in the league apparently.

This works out to roughly £48K per week.

How many players were taking a wage in an average week?

If it's 30 that gives an average wage of £1600 / week - £80K+ per annum.

A lot of assumptions in the above including that the £2.5M is solely for player wages - it may include a variety of things (manager + backroom staff, travel, hotels, Daz, Lenor, oranges, etc).
So, the strange website that said Gills' players average weekly wage was not so strange after all.

Last edited:
So is PS. saying we under achieved finishing 17th last season?

Think that statement is rather odd given we got rid of Pennock, Day and Taylor so presumably all that had to come out of the 'playing budget'.

If you look at our squad last season, hard to think our budget was that good, either that or our recruitment last summer was poor with the odd exception.

Read somewhere the other day that the average league one wage last season was 76k.

They mentioned on sky last night that Rotherham had a playing budget of £8.5m and that was one of the lowest in the championship, fucking ridiculous.

I think we may well have been still paying off part of the wages of guys like Billy Knott and Stuart Nelson who was under contract till this summer .Add in Pennock and Taylor and co who would have been likely to get something too .Scally also revealed at the fans meeting at the beginning of this season as were still paying for JET .

Last edited:
Agree Chris, but PS can't claim we have a competitive budget when some or a fair chunk of that budget is spent on wages of people that are no longer employed by or able to play games for GFC.

While Scally mentions MK Dons got relegated with a high playing budget, he fails to mention that Wigan and Blackburn , the teams with the highest budgets, took the automatic promotion spots.
Shrewsbury appear to be the team that have bucked the trend in a positive sense, it was nice to see them knock out big spenders Charlton.

While Scally mentions MK Dons got relegated with a high playing budget, he fails to mention that Wigan and Blackburn , the teams with the highest budgets, took the automatic promotion spots.
Shrewsbury appear to be the team that have bucked the trend in a positive sense, it was nice to see them knock out big spenders Charlton.
Shrewsbury didn't kick off the season with the likes of Pennock and Day in charge

Millwall had the lowest budget in the Championship, and they did ok. It's not down to the budget, it's down to the set-up at the club. There needs to be belief in each other on the field, and continuity from those that are running the club.

I think we may well have been still paying off part of the wages of guys like Billy Knott and Stuart Nelson who was under contract till this summer .Add in Pennock and Taylor and co who would have been likely to get something too .Scally also revealed at the fans meeting at the beginning of this season as were still paying for JET .

In addition to this there will have been a few in the squad with over inflated wages as a legacy of the Edinburgh era - Martin and Wagstaff for example would be on £2.5k + which I imagine is more than we’re offering this summer.

Looks like the retained list will have to be out tomorrow given previous statement about it being this week.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned,but heard rumour,Martin was in talks with Portsmouth.no idea if any truth.

I’d be surprised if Charlton were particularly big spenders in this league. Millwall actually had an expensively-formed team from when they got relegated from the Championship, although even that would look tiny in the Championship. I liked seeing Millwall challenge for the play-offs and hoped they would get as far as possible, but think this was a one-off season. Who knows, they could do a Dover and seemingly over-achieve again even if they lose key players, but I don’t see it.

It always makes me smile when Scally says people are ill informed and don't know whats going on. Only one person can fix that Paul.

Hopefully he will be a bit more open and forthcoming in the future. We all have an interest in the club and a bit of honest communication wouldn't go amiss.

At the moment of course he's trying to flog season tickets so we should expect lots of up beat messages.

The real test of this budget is who resigns on and who leaves possible for more money elsewhere.

We have very few standout stars; so, I imagine there'll be a lot of naval gazing when it comes to accepting or rejecting any new deal. The supply of players always outstrips demand and some inevitably will fall by the wayside.

Last edited:
I have always thought that crowd size and table position normally go hand in hand. There will always be the exceptions who have a good or bad run, this season.

Gillingham 16th in the attendance table, 17th in the league.
Wimbledon 20th in the attendance table, 18th in the league.
Walsall 17th in the attendance table, 19th in the league.
Rochdale 23rd in the attendance table, 20th in the league.
Oldham 18th in the attendance table, 21st in the league.
Northampton 14th in the attendance table, 22nd in the league.
MK Dons 6th in the attendance table, 23rd in the league.
Bury 22nd in the attendance table, 24th in the league.

Someone posted this on facebook (so it's def legit).
Not sure if/how accurate, but it would seem to be about right on the face of it. Someone in the discussion said it was probably average of all club staff.

It was posted by a Plymouth fan. As far as I can tell the original source was a site called "footy.com". Also sounds legit.

One thing I noticed (if it has any truth to it) is that 3 of the 4 relegated teams were in the top 10 and the other was 14th.

1526601996562.png