Playing Budget | Page 2 | Vital Football

Playing Budget

I’d be surprised if Charlton were particularly big spenders in this league. Millwall actually had an expensively-formed team from when they got relegated from the Championship, although even that would look tiny in the Championship. I liked seeing Millwall challenge for the play-offs and hoped they would get as far as possible, but think this was a one-off season. Who knows, they could do a Dover and seemingly over-achieve again even if they lose key players, but I don’t see it.
Charlton were the 3rd highest spenders on agent’s fees in League 1, and while that might not be the whole picture, it does indicate that they have a larger than average budget for this division. We paid the least out of any team:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16139956.charlton-third-highest-league-one-spenders-on-agents/

Charlton were the 3rd highest spenders on agent’s fees in League 1, and while that might not be the whole picture, it does indicate that they have a larger than average budget for this division. We paid the least out of any team:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16139956.charlton-third-highest-league-one-spenders-on-agents/
Ah, fair enough. I thought they’ve been plodding along for the last year while the last of their big earners leave. Meanwhile their attendances have been suffering, and they charge a fair amounit less than us. With talk of the upcoming Canadian takeover maybe there’ll be a further cash injection.

Interesting post from the Bristol Rovers Fan called "Gassy" in the following One Football Forum thread:
http://onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/next-season’s-pecking-order.19883/page-2

The table he posts is from back in the 2015/16 season and TBF six clubs are excluded but assuming it is quoted in millions (it says "mins" at the top) the £2.5 million budget Scally talks about would be a £1M reduction from that time and by far the lowest in the division.

Interesting post from the Bristol Rovers Fan called "Gassy" in the following One Football Forum thread:
http://onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/next-season’s-pecking-order.19883/page-2

The table he posts is from back in the 2015/16 season and TBF six clubs are excluded but assuming it is quoted in millions (it says "mins" at the top) the £2.5 million budget Scally talks about would be a £1M reduction from that time and by far the lowest in the division.

That whole thread has some interesting thoughts from different clubs fans.

I've know quite a few professional footballers over the years and I'd say that as a ball park figure
Young first year pros trying to break in = 400 - 500 per week
Majority of older squad players = 900 -1,200 per week
High earners = 1,500 - 2500 per week.

Back in the glory days, players like Paul Shaw, Hess Snr, Smith, King, Trigger were on about 5K + a week.
That goes a long way to explaining our 16 million debt at the time.

Someone posted this on facebook (so it's def legit).
Not sure if/how accurate, but it would seem to be about right on the face of it. Someone in the discussion said it was probably average of all club staff.

It was posted by a Plymouth fan. As far as I can tell the original source was a site called "footy.com". Also sounds legit.

One thing I noticed (if it has any truth to it) is that 3 of the 4 relegated teams were in the top 10 and the other was 14th.

View attachment 26999
Bloody hell, you wouldn't be happy as owner of M K Dons or Northampton based on those figures.
JED will be happy to see that we, however, really did over achieve by three places ????

Someone posted this on facebook (so it's def legit).
Not sure if/how accurate, but it would seem to be about right on the face of it.

If the fact they've called Scunthorpe "Town" as opposed to "United" is anything to go by, they're perhaps not the most reliable after all :slap:

I've know quite a few professional footballers over the years and I'd say that as a ball park figure
Young first year pros trying to break in = 400 - 500 per week
Majority of older squad players = 900 -1,200 per week
High earners = 1,500 - 2500 per week.

Back in the glory days, players like Paul Shaw, Hess Snr, Smith, King, Trigger were on about 5K + a week.
That goes a long way to explaining our 16 million debt at the time.

Sound about right to me, we know Rory Donnelly was earning £1400 a week at Gills as it was revealed in court:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/gills-man-fined-for-driving-125674/

I distinctly remember that when we beat Halifax and they left the league their star player, pint size guy, was reported to be on £37,500 a year, all that time ago.

In another thread, I came very close to the figure of £1,362.

If we take the turnover for 2015/16 from the last set of accounts published, it was £5.7m. Take 60% of that = £3,420,000 and divide that by 43 playing staff = £79,500 and divide that by 52 = £1,500 per week. The website above says £1,362; so, it's not far out but I don't really know who or what is included, eg social security; however, if you take off the social security at [say] 10%, ie reduce that figure by one eleventh [£136], you get £1,364.

I used guidelines published in the Coventry Telegraph and your guess is as good as mine.